The Student Room Group

Sociology G673 June 2014

Hey, does anyone have any predictions/guesses what questions might come up? my teacher says age, new right and policies used to solve crime. what about you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If a question came up on geographical location..how would you answer it? Theory based? The only reason I am saying is because the only two theories that talk about it is left/right realists.
Reply 2
Do you know what questions came up in june 2013 paper crime and deviance
Hi

June 2013 questions were:

Outline and assess Interactionist explanations of deviance (50)

Outline and assess the view that most crime is committed by the working class (50)

Outline and assess sociological explanations of why some social groups are more likely to be victims of crime than others (50)

Seems unlikely that these issues will come up again this year.
Reply 4
Original post by The Learn Ranger
Hi

June 2013 questions were:

Outline and assess Interactionist explanations of deviance (50)

Outline and assess the view that most crime is committed by the working class (50)

Outline and assess sociological explanations of why some social groups are more likely to be victims of crime than others (50)

Seems unlikely that these issues will come up again this year.

Thank you.
This year I think that it is likely that Marxist explanations will come up, as well as age differences in the patterns of crime. If not Marxist explanations of crime and deviance, we may be asked on the sociological views that crime and deviance are socially constructed. It is also likely that a question on right realist explanations of crime may come up instead of Marxist explanations. Other questions which have not yet appeared include: outline and assess Realist solutions to the problem of crime, and outline and assess feminist explanations for the relationships between gender and crime.
Also if anyone has any essays on right realism or left realism could you please post.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by tasha212
Thank you.
This year I think that it is likely that Marxist explanations will come up, as well as age differences in the patterns of crime. If not Marxist explanations of crime and deviance, we may be asked on the sociological views that crime and deviance are socially constructed. It is also likely that a question on right realist explanations of crime may come up instead of Marxist explanations. Other questions which have not yet appeared include: outline and assess Realist solutions to the problem of crime, and outline and assess feminist explanations for the relationships between gender and crime.
Also if anyone has any essays on right realism or left realism could you please post.

Why is Marxist explanations likely to come up? It has come up before?
Reply 6
Original post by Waloo

It is likely to come up as it has never come up before, the closest question to it has been Outline and assess the view that the law operates to serve the interests of the ruling class
Reply 7
Does anyone know how you would go about answering Left Realist explanations for victimisation question?
Reply 8
Original post by Waloo
Does anyone know how you would go about answering Left Realist explanations for victimisation question?

LR tend to focus on three main explanations of crime and deviance. All tend to relate around a greater structural issue of poverty or unemployment rather than focussing on the individual. The three I have been taught are: relative deprivation, marginalisation (economic, political, social) and subcultures. Obviously establish why each of these may lead to a group of people becoming victims.
Reply 9
Original post by __AliR
LR tend to focus on three main explanations of crime and deviance. All tend to relate around a greater structural issue of poverty or unemployment rather than focussing on the individual. The three I have been taught are: relative deprivation, marginalisation (economic, political, social) and subcultures. Obviously establish why each of these may lead to a group of people becoming victims.

Original post by Waloo

Left Realists rejected the Marxist and interactionist perspectives on crime because they felt that these views played down the impact of crime on ordinary people, expecially in inner city areas with high crime rates. In order to provide evidence for their view Lea and Young conducted a famous victimisation study in Islington which showed how the possibility of victimisation and fear of crime badly affected people's quality of life. Subsequently a variety of other local victim studies influenced by Left Realism were carried out.
Reply 11
It is likely to come up as it has never come up before, the closest question to it has been Outline and assess the view that the law operates to serve the interests of the ruling class

It has come up. It came up in jan 2008 and 2005, but a very long time ago.
Reply 12
Original post by Waloo

Also, if explantions on C&D do come up than, expect new crimonology as that also has not come up before.
Reply 13
Original post by Dilzz
It has come up. It came up in jan 2008 and 2005, but a very long time ago.

I meant in the ones you can access online, I have not got access to G673 papers before June 2010.
Reply 14
Anyone got any essay on New Criminology have hardly any information for it.
do you want an essay or essay plan??
Original post by __AliR

Could you possibly write a brief essay plan for this question? I am so confused and am convinced we have not been taught this victimisation stuff! We have notes on both left and right realism but I don't know how to apply it to victimisation
Anyone got any essay on New Criminology have hardly any information for it.

could this be a whole essay or is it just part of Marxism?
Reply 18
Original post by sophiemaybell
could this be a whole essay or is it just part of Marxism?

I have no idea people keep saying that a question on new criminology could come up and it is something that we need to know.
Reply 19
Original post by sophiemaybell
Could you possibly write a brief essay plan for this question? I am so confused and am convinced we have not been taught this victimisation stuff! We have notes on both left and right realism but I don't know how to apply it to victimisation

LR on victimisation is very similar, from what I have been taught, to their general explanations. When writing such as essay I would try and relate each point back to victimisation instead of a generic explanation of crime.

Intro:

Accept official crime statistics

Real world ideas that could affect legislation

Left of centre politically (Potentially mention Blair)

Influenced by the thinking of Merton

Focus on unemployment and poverty

Theory developed by Lea and Young et al

Point One - Relative Deprivation

Runciman - Political revolutions only occur when the poor realise the extent of the wealth and income disparity

income on the top 1% has risen by 279% since 1979

Lea and Young - The expectations of todays youths is higher than in the past.

Low crime rate during the 1930's depression showed economic circumstances where not to blame for a high crime rate.

Evaluation

Jones - Fails to explain why some turn to crime and others not

Carlen - Fails to explain how society harms women

You can add any evaluation in from other perspectives try not to use too much juxtaposition as you can not get into the higher marks that way

Point Two - Marginalisation

Economic- Lack the disposable income to fit into the norms of society and carry out similar leisure activities

Political- Often the poorest people and the youth do not vote and therefore lack influence on policy makers and the politicians do not have to fight for their vote.

Social - Areas of social decline are more likely to have higher crime rates. Thus, more likely to be a victim. Merseyside Crime Survey - The poor suffer more than the wealthy from the effects of crime.

Ev
Ruggiero - Neglect corporate and white-collar crime
Sim - Not being 'real' as they neglect the cause of capitalism
Again, just add your own.
Point Three - Subculture

Merton - Subcultures emerge with people that experience relative deprivation. A set or norms and values develop. Members of the subculture subscribe to the status quo but are blocked off and form a criminal subculture.

Evaluation

Hughes - No empirical data. Fails to explain the causes of crime

Again, add your own.

I hope this helps! Out of the three modules this is my worst, so I hope it gives you some form of guidance. LR explanations hasn't been asked for a long time but there was a victims question last year so hopefully it should just be a standard explanations question. RR and Marxism are far more likely to come up IMO.

Quick Reply

Latest