The Student Room Group

Aqa A2 textiles (design and technology)- 3rd June

I'm so nervous for this exam, what has everyone been revising ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Antoniaotter
I'm so nervous for this exam, what has everyone been revising ?

I'm beyond nervous for the exam! I've gone from worried to weirdly calm as if i'm expecting to fail after needed to resit the AS exam!
I've been revising costume history because there's always been a question on it and hopefully there will be this time! I've also been revising basic fibres and industrial processes which is such a bugger! What have you been revising? Good Luck too!
Reply 2
Original post by lou123445
I'm beyond nervous for the exam! I've gone from worried to weirdly calm as if i'm expecting to fail after needed to resit the AS exam!
I've been revising costume history because there's always been a question on it and hopefully there will be this time! I've also been revising basic fibres and industrial processes which is such a bugger! What have you been revising? Good Luck too!

Oh my god it's tomorrow I'm just giving up now it's too late to try any more haha, the syllabus is simply too big.

yeah same with history of fashion, there's so much though i hope there not too specific on an era because I like the 40's-60's the most, Edwardian and Victorian era jus mind blows me.

Ive just been looking at all the different cad and cam bits like PDS,UPS etc but I doubt I'll remember it all tomorow.

K know what u mean about expecting to fail, I resat as too as I got an e last year:') and pretty much exhausted myself revising for the resit in the last few weeks. Good luck xx
Reply 3
What did everyone think of the exam? I though the questions were fairly easy but some difficult wording. I did the history of fashion question, finishes and branding/shopping
Reply 4
Original post by Rose233
What did everyone think of the exam? I though the questions were fairly easy but some difficult wording. I did the history of fashion question, finishes and branding/shopping

It was okay, but I just knew loads of little bits about each question so I found it hard to choose. I did the design q, the branding and finishing. What did u do for hist of f?
I was gonna do that and talk about nary quant skirt and Christ dior new look but I hate long q's x
Reply 5
It was okay, but I just knew loads of little bits about each question so I found it hard to choose. I did the design q, the branding and finishing. What did u do for hist of f?
I was gonna do that and talk about nary quant skirt and Christ dior new look but I hate long q's x

For the fashion history i did:
Chanel - LBD (because it was the first time black was in fashion and jersey was used), 2.55 bag and skirt suit (because it liberated women etc) costume jewellery
Shiaparelli - Lobster dress, tear dress, skeleton dress (shocking because of surrealism and incorporating artists into fashion)
And the influence of these garments - like the LBD being redesigned e.g. Givenchy 1961

But I thought the wording was a bit weird and its hard to gage what exactly you need to write for 14 marks...
Also I thought the question was very broad, you could pretty much do any designer

I also did question 3 on retail and question 5 on textured yarns, fancy yarns and core spinning - but I didn't like the one on brand names dont think I got many marks there :redface:
Reply 6
Original post by n_ric
For the fashion history i did:
Chanel - LBD (because it was the first time black was in fashion and jersey was used), 2.55 bag and skirt suit (because it liberated women etc) costume jewellery
Shiaparelli - Lobster dress, tear dress, skeleton dress (shocking because of surrealism and incorporating artists into fashion)
And the influence of these garments - like the LBD being redesigned e.g. Givenchy 1961

But I thought the wording was a bit weird and its hard to gage what exactly you need to write for 14 marks...
Also I thought the question was very broad, you could pretty much do any designer

I also did question 3 on retail and question 5 on textured yarns, fancy yarns and core spinning - but I didn't like the one on brand names dont think I got many marks there :redface:

You sound so much more in the knao than our class haha:') our teacher is terrible we all failed last year and this year aqa have said that they're looking at our centres paper in particular lmao!

I had no idea about any of the textured yarns, I hate that. What did u do for branding question x
Reply 7

I did the exact same questions as you! I did Dior's New Look as well and Paul Poivert - his Turkish trousers and straighter style. I though 8 marks for the laminating question was a bit much though, I couldn't think of that much and end up talking about Gor-Tex
Reply 8
Original post by Rose233
I did the exact same questions as you! I did Dior's New Look as well and Paul Poivert - his Turkish trousers and straighter style. I though 8 marks for the laminating question was a bit much though, I couldn't think of that much and end up talking about Gor-Tex

Poirets a good one to do too :smile: omg I no I was like WTf I'm not even sure what laminating 100% is like the proper definition but I had no clue on fancy yarns and the only body shaping I could trink of was darts so id loose the other half of the marks ! X
Reply 9
did anyone do the question about the dress? and the pattern making one? There was a lot to do but there were plenty of easy marks! I just referred to my coursework for a lot of it!
Reply 10
What did everyone say on the branding one? I wasn't sure whether the question was asking for the advantages of having a brand name?! It was worded really weird.
Also, the section in reworking materials about modern manufacturing systems does anyone know if we were supposed to talk about the advantages of CAD and CIM like less wastage due to lack of human error and designs and stock and everything being stored digitally rather than paperwork?! Overall I didn't think it was toooo bad
Reply 11
Original post by blh96
What did everyone say on the branding one? I wasn't sure whether the question was asking for the advantages of having a brand name?! It was worded really weird.
Also, the section in reworking materials about modern manufacturing systems does anyone know if we were supposed to talk about the advantages of CAD and CIM like less wastage due to lack of human error and designs and stock and everything being stored digitally rather than paperwork?! Overall I didn't think it was toooo bad

Yeah I think so well that's what I banged on about and the environment yeh but I couldn't think of anything I only spoke about lay plans 😭😭😭 dreading my grade now
I thought this exam was the 8th june?
Anyone retaking AS too?
Reply 13
Original post by lilyrosew
Anyone retaking AS too?

2014 this was
Reply 14
Anyone retaking AS too?

I'm doing this exam on 8th June, and retaking AS as well - I'm so worried, I've got an A on both courseworks but I'm not good at textiles exams. In other subjects you get a textbook you can learn but I spend hours on the internet for textiles finding nothing! I got a C in the AS exam last year
Yeah I'm struggling with revision for them - everyone in my class got a U in the exam last year and we're all so worried about it. Have you used the cutting edge book? - it stresses me out with all the other rubbish it has in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Yeah I'm struggling with revision for them - everyone in my class got a U in the exam last year and we're all so worried about it. Have you used the cutting edge book? - it stresses me out with all the other rubbish it has in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I've got the cutting edge book but it doesn't even help me, don't know why I bought it! I've got the clothing technology book which is really detailed but doesn't include everything. I am literally going to write a textbook for this whole course when I leave sixth form - I can't believe there isn't one!! I don't like A level history but at least I can learn the textbook for that!
I just think they shouldn't run a course if they can't provide for it - I mean they take the pictures in the exam in someone's back garden..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I agree the textiles exam is awful. So unfair how much it affects your grade when it's so irrelevant in most cases. Don't worry too much though, in year 12 I got an E in the exam and then resat it last summer and got an A. I got a C in my A2 exam just make sure you do the history of fashion q :smile:. So I had all together A,A,C,C And I got a B over all so your be fine girls!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending