The Student Room Group

AQA A2 HISTORY: The Triumph of Elizabeth, 1547-1603 Offical Thread. 2nd June 2014.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tinhat
What is the maximum mark/ level you can get if you don't include any historians?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can still get into level 5 without historians i think!
Reply 381
can someone simplify and explain mary's relationship with parliament with the issues of monastic land???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bazinga123!
You can still get into level 5 without historians i think!

Really? How do you know? In the mark scheme it says it looks for a wide understanding of historical interpretations

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tinhat
Really? How do you know? In the mark scheme it says it looks for a wide understanding of historical interpretations

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's what I got told from my teacher, obviously a low level 5 though
It's what I got told from my teacher, obviously a low level 5 though

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 385
*Don't follow these* My ultimate prediction for tomorrow.

- Mid-Tudor Crisis Q
- MQS/France - Or Catholicism or Puritanism.
- Last years.

- Well those are my predictions and i've not relied on any this year to be safe. It's now just a matter of knowing that by this time tomorrow, it'll all be done with.
Original post by bkw321
*Don't follow these* My ultimate prediction for tomorrow.

- Mid-Tudor Crisis Q
- MQS/France - Or Catholicism or Puritanism.
- Last years.

- Well those are my predictions and i've not relied on any this year to be safe. It's now just a matter of knowing that by this time tomorrow, it'll all be done with.

I'm avoiding the last years question.. and I really won't know how to answer the Puritanism question apart from something about the 1566 vesterian controversy. I think I can handle France/MQS or Catholicism and fairly confident with Mid-Tudor Crisis...

So there's a strong chance a may not know what to write for two of the questions... great.
What would you write about if its external catholic threat?
What would you write about if its external catholic threat?

Spanish threat. Initially not based on religion (evident from Philip II twice preventing Pope excommunicating Elizabeth), however following Elizabeth's excommunication in 1570 he increasingly saw himself as a "catholic crusader" who should restore England to catholicism by force. This is evident from the 1588 Armada being blessed by the Pope. Also want to talk about role of Spain in the internal catholic plots. Spanish Ambassoder De Spes helped orchestrate the Ridolfi plot 1571 , with Philip stating he was willing to participate once the "first steps" had been taken. Also Mendoza involved in the Throckmorton plot 1583.

French Catholic threat. Initially was the primary catholic threat to England in 1559-1560 however following treaty of Edinburgh and breakdown of "Auld Alliance", threat significantly diminished. Catholic league alliance to Philip of Spain in 1584 presented significant threat however due to possibility of huguenot Henry of Navarre being defeated and a catholic French-Spanish alliance forming against England.

Scotland Catholic threat. MQOS obviously a threat. She returned to Scotland in 1561 and was not initially a threat untill 1565 when she married catholic Lord Darnely. This presented a threat to Elizabeth because she won political control in Scotland (Earl of Moray flees south) and Darnely has a distant claim to English throne. However assassination of Darnely in 1587, marriage to James Hepburn and subsequent coup de tat forces her to abdicate. James made king and protestants seize control e.g. Earl of Moray made Lord Regent, so Scotland no longer catholic threat.

-Tbh I very much doubht you will get a question purely on external catholic threats. It might as well be just a question on foriegn policy.
I just received a response email from my history teacher about his predictions for tomorrows exam. Thought I would share it with you all:

"Very cautious about guessing.

Foreign affairs have come up in three of the last four years - 2010/2012/2013
Religion has also come up in three of the last four years - 2010/2011/2013
Government/Parliament has come up in three of the last four years - 2010/2011/2012
Royal authority 0 2012/2013

Those are the biggies - then:-

1547-58 (E6 and Mary) has had its own question in three of the last four years (not 2013)
the whole of Elizabeth's reign has come up in three of the last four years (not 2013)

You just need ot be ready - religion specifically 1547-58 has not yet made an appearance, as neither has foreign policy in those early years

They've had a question on the Catholics, but not yet the Protestants

I'm not being very helpful, am I - I'll shut up

Good luck in the exam."

Sorry for the stupid question but I'm still confused about the difference between Parliament and Government...can someone help me? Thanks :smile:

Elizabeth's government =Privy Council (Most important) + Parliament (Less important)

Elizabeth's parliament= Parliament
Anyone else not really sure what to do now? I was contemplating going over potential topics again but I think I know pretty much all I will ever know now so tempted just to chill out and go over my timings etc, although that makes me feel guilty aha.

Good luck tomorrow everyone, just give it your best shot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have a timeline of all the key events/dates!
Reply 394
I heard it was a good idea to put your plan, in your script at the top of each questions, in brackets. Can anyone confirm this?
Reply 395
Good luck now everyone. Get some good sleep.
Examiners like to see plans because they know your essay will be better structured/thought out than the majority of what they're reading. You needn't write anything too complicated (after all the timing is tight enough!), but if you think it will help you, go ahead. As for how to clarify that it is your plan and not your essay, putting it in brackets would be a good idea - maybe even simply using the header 'plan' would be good enough. All past scripts I have seen have the plans crossed out. Whether that be the examiner or the candidate's doing, I'm unsure. A line through it wouldn't hurt though? As long as however you separate your plan and your essay doesn't obscure what's written in your plan, you should be fine.
Reply 397
can anyone tell me if the Marprelate Tracts were sent to Parliament?
I don't believe they were, I think they were just circulated locally from whichever press printed them. It was the 1572 Admonitions that went to Parliament.
Original post by embaker
can anyone tell me if the Marprelate Tracts were sent to Parliament?

They were just pamphlets that were circulated weren't they?

Quick Reply

Latest