The Student Room Group

AQA A2 HISTORY: The Triumph of Elizabeth, 1547-1603 Offical Thread. 2nd June 2014.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Did anyone treat the Q1 as a causation question coz I said that instability was a result of different factors
religious changes
political situations
social and economic problems
and then I concluded by saying that religious changes can be seen to be the most important.

I dunno if I would get any marks coz I don't think I answered the question right.
Original post by Kruz95
Did anyone treat the Q1 as a causation question coz I said that instability was a result of different factors
religious changes
political situations
and then I concluded by saying that religious changes can be seen to be the most important.

I dunno if I would get any marks coz I don't think I answered the question right.

Well it was essentially a causation question as it asked what "brought about" instability in England. Dw, you're fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kruz95
religious changes
political situations

It was definitely causal it asked what the reasons for instability were :smile:
I didn't finish on time and didn't get to talk about the sea beggars and the annexation of Portugal and drake raiding the Azores am I going to get such a bad mark. If I hadn't forgotten I think I would have been fine. I feel so horrible right now

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did Q1 (did anyone not?!) and Q2 - the first one was lovely but the second one was sooo broad that I would happily have spent 1h 30 on that essay alone! I did religion (way too much detail to just fit into a paragraph but oh well), government, parliamentary management and then compared the Northern and Essex rebellions, hope that's the kind of thing they were looking for! I also think I spent too much time discussing rebellions on the first question and didn't talk enough about governance in general but never mind.

It's a ridiculously long time to wait to find out how we did :unimpressed:
I've just blanked! Was Q2 from 1558 to 1603? Friend is talking about between 1588 to 1603 and I suddenly cannot remember for the life of me what dates they were asking for.
I thought that paper was such a nice paper! No way would I have attempted question 2 however...
Original post by zacaroniandcheese
I've just blanked! Was Q2 from 1558 to 1603? Friend is talking about between 1588 to 1603 and I suddenly cannot remember for the life of me what dates they were asking for.

The quote said that the first 30 years were a success and the last 15 years were a failure. So that's 45 years, from 1558 to 1603.
I did Q1 and Q3.

For Q1, my argument was that it caused instability due to the contrasting religious reforms introduced by different rulers. The population had no time to settle on a religious policy before it was changed by the next ruler. I backed it up with evidence and historiography.

Did anyone else do similar?
Original post by tengentoppa
The quote said that the first 30 years were a success and the last 15 years were a failure. So that's 45 years, from 1558 to 1603.

thought so! Thank you, was beginning to panic a little bit!
Original post by MREJB
I did Q1 and Q3.

For Q1 I Included:
Somerset
- Religious changes
- Western Prayer Book Rebellion
= instability
BUT - Economic and Social instability caused by foreign wars (had to be seen to lead like Henry VIII though)
Northumberland
- Attempted to establish stability and did with stopping foreign wars and ending debasement of the coinage
- Passed more obvious protestant changes without issues
- Lady Jane Grey succession caused short-term instability
Mary
- Catholicism welcomed back but 80 MP's voted against Statue of Repeal in 1553
- Instability came from proposed foreign marrige (Wyatt Rebellion 1554)

Q3
- Attacking John Hawkins at San Juan de Ulua is Sp fault
- Bullion affair E's faulty
- Sea Beggars E's fault

- Netherlands both their fault (E supporting William of Orange, giving money and troops but Spanish Fury sacking Antwerp)
- E going against Treaty of Nymgen from 1573 and supporting Don Antonio and sending Sir Francis Drake to circumvent the glove to spread Spanish resources thinly
- Treaty of Joinville and Nonsuch = war unavoidable at this point
- Attacking Cadiz obviously annoyed Philip but not English fault as good tactical move.

Yeah basically divided Q1 into - Somerset, Northumberland and Mary and talked about religion then foreign/social + economic and for Q2 - Trade and the Netherlands and briefly mentioned it appears she's helping Protestant rebellions in Scot and Fra (but the Q was between 1568-88, so I only made that brief)

Dunno if that sounds good or not??

That was part of the English Armada in 1589 and the question was from 1568-1588?

I did exactly that, first question has so much to talk about as it was broad. Third question was ok, it wasn't the best but it was good. I just didn't quite managing to write down everything I wanted to say. -.-
Original post by Greekgeekable
I didn't finish on time and didn't get to talk about the sea beggars and the annexation of Portugal and drake raiding the Azores am I going to get such a bad mark. If I hadn't forgotten I think I would have been fine. I feel so horrible right now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't quite finish the third question either :L
Did a hasty conclusion which was fairly abrupt at the end and had 2/3 more points to make.
Reply 452
Did Q1 and Q2. I thought the exam timing was the biggest problem. There was so much to write and on the second question i could have wrote a book. I did it chronologically, thematically. I just hope that they are lenient markers. But shocked that spain came up for 3 years in a row.
Original post by LonelyPlanet
That was part of the English Armada in 1589 and the question was from 1568-1588?

I did exactly that, first question has so much to talk about as it was broad. Third question was ok, it wasn't the best but it was good. I just didn't quite managing to write down everything I wanted to say. -.-

Actually, the invasion of Azores where she supported don Antonio was 1580-1 so it was in the period
Reply 454
Original post by Endless Blue
Okay so does anyone know about the leniency on the synoptic question? I've been told by various teachers that less depth is expected as you need much more breadth so I'm hoping this will save me a bit as I only made passing references e.g to puritan and catholic challenge because I started talking about ****ing foreign policy. :facepalm2:

Why did you talk about foreign policy! It's domestic affairs. Thus internal issues. But in regards to your first point, yes less depth is needed, i didn't delve too much into it, and did it chronologically and thematically. Remember, everything is not needed on the mark scheme. How many sides did you guys do anyways. I did 4 for each on this.
Reply 455
hmm good questions, not enough time and my structure was poor, damn, i think most peoples pitfalls will be involved in the wording of the questions..

Q1 think i spent too much time on rebellions tho- used them to show it was religion (western) other (ketts) used wyatts also. talked about somersets style of govt, autocratic- enclosure policy and foreign policy- idee fixe ha lead to debasement so caused social distress.

only thing i said about northumberland was the devise. so no

mary- yes- reconciliation with rome brought instability to landowning classse- those who profited from acquisition of monastery. i put burnings in there too- govts. ban on ppl seeing them- could be a sign of worrying about instability.

conclusion was sh*te didnt have enough time and said instability was caused due to the fact (using elton) that tudor constituiton demanded a strong monarch- edward boy and mary a single childless woman.

q2. i had so much to say but focused for some reason on govt and parliament! included though vesterian controversy, admonitions and bill and book quelled - by ministers, talked about her ministers were succesful- walsingham catholic plots. then ministers bad after. hardly spent time on 1588 onwards except for penry williams quote 1597 parliament and poor law monopolies and factions. pretty annoyed with myself..
pulled conclusion out of no where- said it is innacurate to use 1588 as a starting point for decline just because it reached a peak with armada success which shrouds her reign. like wtf what does this even mean haha, at least I'll give the marker a chuckle when he sees what BS i've spurted out aha.

lets hope the boundary Gods are in our favour.

** edit- i did not write like this in the essay btw ha
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 456
Well, people in mine thought they did bad on Q2. Just have to remember, you're not marked for what you've missed out. I hope to damn that I got an A*. I freaking need that. Hope everyone else did well, for some reason the months of revision seemed to go out of the window for a bit then.
Original post by bkw321
Why did you talk about foreign policy! It's domestic affairs. Thus internal issues. But in regards to your first point, yes less depth is needed, i didn't delve too much into it, and did it chronologically and thematically. Remember, everything is not needed on the mark scheme. How many sides did you guys do anyways. I did 4 for each on this.

Yes, I know, I just read the statement and launched into it. I was already a few minutes behind from the first question so I rushed the plan massively. I only realised with about 10 mins left it was domestic, so I panicked and had to cross out all of the FP.

I honestly don't know how I did it but I'm so disappointed in myself, thrown the A* away probably.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 458
Original post by Endless Blue
Yes, I know, I just read the statement and launched into it. I was already a few minutes behind from the first question so I rushed the plan massively. I only realised with about 10 mins left it was domestic, so I panicked and had to cross out all of the FP.

I honestly don't know how I did it but I'm so disappointed in myself, thrown the A* away probably.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aah it doesn't matter. You could still achieve the A*, remember they mark positively, and i missed a few things out too, i got the dates, right but some of it was out of the place. Hoping we've done well. I know some people who just did her last years. Now that's a disaster.
Reply 459
Original post by bennyos1
I did Q1 and Q3.

For Q1, my argument was that it caused instability due to the contrasting religious reforms introduced by different rulers. The population had no time to settle on a religious policy before it was changed by the next ruler. I backed it up with evidence and historiography.

Did anyone else do similar?

did you only talk about religion in the first question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending