The Student Room Group

Would it be a bad idea to bring a guitar to university?

Assuming the A-levels go to plan, I should be off to either Leeds or Bristol in the summer. I'm currently trying to work out what I should and shouldn't bring and was wandering whether it would be a bad idea to bring a guitar. How thick are the walls in student accommodation? Is it likely to be a bother to other people, or are they unlikely to hear it?

Also, I feel like there's a certain 'douche factor' associated with bringing a guitar. Do you think that's true?

Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
No don't be stupid, if anything you might get all the girls. You play guitar, it's like asking someone who likes reading books whether it's a bad idea to bring books to university as a form of leisure.
Original post by Brian Moser
Assuming the A-levels go to plan, I should be off to either Leeds or Bristol in the summer. I'm currently trying to work out what I should and shouldn't bring and was wandering whether it would be a bad idea to bring a guitar. How thick are the walls in student accommodation? Is it likely to be a bother to other people, or are they unlikely to hear it?

Also, I feel like there's a certain 'douche factor' associated with bringing a guitar. Do you think that's true?

It depends how considerate you are. There was a guy who lived with my boyfriend last year who played it all hours of the night, and when he was asked to put his headphones in, he refused and played it louder :facepalm:
So long as you don't play loudly or at obnoxious hours, you'll be fine :yep:
Can you play Wonderwall...?

It's a great idea especially if your good loads of bands start at uni who knows you might just part of the next Biffy Clyro also it's a good way to pull if you can play.
There is absolutely no problem with bringing a guitar to uni!
The guy in the room next to me has one and plays it for about 2 hours everyday but as long as it's at a reasonable time/at a reasonable volume it's fine :smile:
Plus we chicks dig guys that can play guitar :P
Reply 7
Original post by Muppet Science

YaaassSSsSS! I was just about to say the same thing!
Original post by Muppet Science

Aha, who can't? :tongue:
[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F5QCs3PnQBc[/video]

If you plan actually having the balls to start a band, write some songs, play some gigs, then do it, you will have sex on tap for your entire time at uni.

If on the other hand, you simply plan to get out your guitar and annoy the **** into everyone in your flat with terrible acoustic renditions of wonderwall or damien rice, do not, for the love of god, even think about it.
Original post by cole-slaw
If you plan actually having the balls to start a band, write some songs, play some gigs, then do it, you will have sex on tap for your entire time at uni.

If on the other hand, you simply plan to get out your guitar and annoy the **** into everyone in your flat with terrible acoustic renditions of wonderwall or damien rice, do not, for the love of god, even think about it.

Hey man, let's leave Damien Rice out of this. What's he ever done to you?
I brought my keyboard... but piano players aren't as cool as guitar players. Girls don't seem to find pianos sexy :frown:
Hey man, let's leave Damien Rice out of this. What's he ever done to you?

Multiple accounts of grevious aural harm to my ears with his derivative chord sequences, whiny singing and dreadful cliched lyrics.

Same situation here man, I'm also hopefully going to Bristol, are you bringing an acoustic or an electric?

I'm thinking of dropping some money on a new electric+amp setup and finding a practise space for them, but I'm not sure we're even allowed to have them in our rooms :s

As for the walls, some places are soundproofed brilliantly, some places have pretty much none. It's probably more considerate if you leave the playing for somewhere outside the halls I would have thought.
Original post by spleenharvester
Same situation here man, I'm also hopefully going to Bristol, are you bringing an acoustic or an electric?

I'm thinking of dropping some money on a new electric+amp setup and finding a practise space for them, but I'm not sure we're even allowed to have them in our rooms :s

As for the walls, some places are soundproofed brilliantly, some places have pretty much none. It's probably more considerate if you leave the playing for somewhere outside the halls I would have thought.

Hopefully Bristol here too (though the way things are looking now, it doesn't seem hopeful that I'll meet the requirements...). I play acoustic, though I'd like to pick up a bit of electric at some point. :smile:
Original post by cole-slaw
Multiple accounts of grevious aural harm to my ears with his derivative chord sequences, whiny singing and dreadful cliched lyrics.

Meh, his music's certainly generic and bland - but that's overstating it a bit, don't you think? :tongue:
If you enjoy learning to play the guitar, take it! I'm going to be taking so many instruments with me, no matter what I study :tongue:
Original post by spleenharvester

There will be a band soc and a band practice room or two, which will most likely be fully kitted out with amps and equipment.

Here is the drill:
1) take electric guitar
2) join band soc
3) find band members
4) practice
5) gig
6) sex with girls

Quick Reply

Latest