The Student Room Group

AQA A2 HISTORY: The Triumph of Elizabeth, 1547-1603 Offical Thread. 2nd June 2014.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bkw321
Aah it doesn't matter. You could still achieve the A*, remember they mark positively, and i missed a few things out too, i got the dates, right but some of it was out of the place. Hoping we've done well. I know some people who just did her last years. Now that's a disaster.

It's annoying as well because I nailed the first question but cocked up the second a bit. Given the lack of conclusion (only got a sentence in, very weak) I suspect I will get a B on that question. Just kicking myself now because my knowledge for it was good, but I always mess up those broad questions somehow.

I approached it as

- thirty years good
- last years bad

Then challenge

- thirty years not so good
- last years not so bad

That sounds really stupid but you get the idea. Hopefully we get the grades we want/need, which other q did you do? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 461
Original post by Endless Blue
It's annoying as well because I nailed the first question but cocked up the second a bit. Given the lack of conclusion (only got a sentence in, very weak) I suspect I will get a B on that question. Just kicking myself now because my knowledge for it was good, but I always mess up those broad questions somehow.

I approached it as

- thirty years good
- last years bad

Then challenge

- thirty years not so good
- last years not so bad

That sounds really stupid but you get the idea. Hopefully we get the grades we want/need, which other q did you do? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
]

You did it in a similar fashion to me. I did it like that, but the second part was more integrated as c/c and counter paragraphs. I did Q1, which was an obvious for me. The mid-tudor crisis was ripe with historians, that i used in pretty much every paragraph. I hope I get at least 40-42 on that, and possible 35-8 on my second one. I need 37 on each to get an A* overall, but NOW that I think about it, an A would be could if I get an A*A in my other 2 subjects. Wbu? What's your uni offer?
Original post by bkw321
]

You did it in a similar fashion to me. I did it like that, but the second part was more integrated as c/c and counter paragraphs. I did Q1, which was an obvious for me. The mid-tudor crisis was ripe with historians, that i used in pretty much every paragraph. I hope I get at least 40-42 on that, and possible 35-8 on my second one. I need 37 on each to get an A* overall, but NOW that I think about it, an A would be could if I get an A*A in my other 2 subjects. Wbu? What's your uni offer?

A*AA offer, UCL Law. Wbu?

I'm pretty sure I've got the A given my AS and coursework. Therefore most likely need an A* in Politics which is my strongest subject and most likely A*, so just need to nail those now. A* in Maths is highly unlikely but should be able to get the A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 463
must have spent ten minutes at the beginning wondering what the questions were asking me... am feeling much better about it after reading what other people wrote about! fingers crossed that the grade boundaries are low, i really need that A!
Eh, the exam could have been better, it could have been worse...

Did questions 1 and 3 (good job looking at some responses, 2 was horribly synoptic) and I think I did okay? I remembered loads of information, but unfortunately hardly any dates! Hopefully they won't mark me down too much... :/ Alike most people it seems, I didn't expect Anglo-Spanish relations to come up again.

So yeah, fingers crossed for an A!
Reply 465
A*AA offer, UCL Law. Wbu?

I'm pretty sure I've got the A given my AS and coursework. Therefore most likely need an A* in Politics which is my strongest subject and most likely A*, so just need to nail those now. A* in Maths is highly unlikely but should be able to get the A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll get it. And my AS grade and CW which I got near enough full marks on assures me that i've hopefully still got an A. I need AAB for University of Warwick, however if i exceed these grades and get A*A*A/B i'll take a gap year or defer on results day. But i've gotten a lot more encouragement hearing from others now.
Reply 466
Are examiners f**kin* with us???? Spain, 3 years in a row. Wow. Well 2 was hard, and I hope they reward those who went for that question.
Reply 467
random question, but do you guys go to a private or state school? I'm at a state school but my teacher mentioned that most people who take this exam go to private schools so was a bit curious
Reply 468
Original post by estock
random question, but do you guys go to a private or state school? I'm at a state school but my teacher mentioned that most people who take this exam go to private schools so was a bit curious

I go to a state school :smile:
Reply 469
Original post by alexdob
In the first question could you write that instability can be created without a rebellion being the product? For instance Somerset's religious policies of 1547 (i.e. ban on images, dissolution of the chantries etc) created great instability throughout the nation and the Crown feared rebellion

I kinda did something similar, and I said the 1552 BoCP showed that Edward hadn't learnt from radical policies from 1547 which further led to instability...I really don't know if that makes any sense haha
Original post by bkw321
You'll get it. And my AS grade and CW which I got near enough full marks on assures me that i've hopefully still got an A. I need AAB for University of Warwick, however if i exceed these grades and get A*A*A/B i'll take a gap year or defer on results day. But i've gotten a lot more encouragement hearing from others now.

Nice. What subject? History?
Original post by alexdob
In the first question could you write that instability can be created without a rebellion being the product? For instance Somerset's religious policies of 1547 (i.e. ban on images, dissolution of the chantries etc) created great instability throughout the nation and the Crown feared rebellion

You could but personally I didn't go there because the question wasn't asking what types of instability there were, rather what caused instability. I, personally defined it in terms of general discontent, rebellion, ineffective government and out of control parliament
Original post by estock

I do go to private school!

edit: however this is the first year we've done this exams it's usually the French Revolution
Reply 473
Nice. What subject? History?

Uhuh.
Reply 474
Look back on it now, why do i feel so dis-confident. Darn it.
Original post by estock

I'm at a private school - only know of one other school in my city that does the same exam too (private as well)
Original post by embaker
I go to a state school :smile:

I'm at a state school :smile:
Original post by ilovee
Did q1 and q2 like everyone else. Felt I didn't quite do justice to either but perhaps that's just because I felt the writing was a bit clunky. I did comparisons and synoptic links and remerbed all my historiography (yay!) but felt in q2 I kept talking to much about the last years and had to force myself to put in the words 'success' and 'failure'.
q1 paragraphs- Politics/ government, Religious Causes and Rebellions. Talked about instability in government from Duke's different policies and ability to take over undermining everything, with religious causes not always that influential (especially Northumberland's), and weighing up how much instability rebellions actually caused.

q2 paragraphs- Religion, government, and finance/ economy. So much to say for religion! Tried to pick out specific things and made sure to talk about Puritans and Catholics, said it wasn't always a success in the first part of her reign but needed time to be established and defended. Government I said was definitely a failure when she lost control and for economy I talked about subsidies, debts and monopolies, as well as economic disorder in the last years. Concluded it wasn't as black and white as failure and success.

Hope this helps!
p.s also made me laugh (in my head) that q2 stole Haigh's quote about '30 years of illusion followed by 15 years of disillusion'!

I spoke to my teacher about mentioning religion- because that's what I did- and she said I had to make sure I wasn't just focussing on it. Yeah I did government, factionalism and parliament. Mentioned the financial situation at the end and how that had implications on her successors. I did 1 and 2 as well. For 2 I just did for and against really for the first 30 years and then her final years. And I concluded that although her final years weren't as successful as her first 30, it was harsh to say they were a complete failure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MREJB
I did Q1 and Q3.

For Q1 I Included:
Somerset
- Religious changes
- Western Prayer Book Rebellion
= instability
BUT - Economic and Social instability caused by foreign wars (had to be seen to lead like Henry VIII though)
Northumberland
- Attempted to establish stability and did with stopping foreign wars and ending debasement of the coinage
- Passed more obvious protestant changes without issues
- Lady Jane Grey succession caused short-term instability
Mary
- Catholicism welcomed back but 80 MP's voted against Statue of Repeal in 1553
- Instability came from proposed foreign marrige (Wyatt Rebellion 1554)

Q3
- Attacking John Hawkins at San Juan de Ulua is Sp fault
- Bullion affair E's faulty
- Sea Beggars E's fault

- Netherlands both their fault (E supporting William of Orange, giving money and troops but Spanish Fury sacking Antwerp)
- E going against Treaty of Nymgen from 1573 and supporting Don Antonio and sending Sir Francis Drake to circumvent the glove to spread Spanish resources thinly
- Treaty of Joinville and Nonsuch = war unavoidable at this point
- Attacking Cadiz obviously annoyed Philip but not English fault as good tactical move.

Yeah basically divided Q1 into - Somerset, Northumberland and Mary and talked about religion then foreign/social + economic and for Q2 - Trade and the Netherlands and briefly mentioned it appears she's helping Protestant rebellions in Scot and Fra (but the Q was between 1568-88, so I only made that brief)

Dunno if that sounds good or not??

I literally did exactly that, the only other thing I really included for the 3rd question was the Catholic Plots against Elizabeth by Mendoza, the Throckmorton Plot and Babington Plot in 1585 and 1586
I'm in a state school. Interesting approaches for Q1. I personally did themes:
Religion
Government failures- so economic and social
Foreign policy
And then just concluded Foreign Policy caused the most instability because of the financial constraints it brought upon people in their every day lives.
... However knowing my luck that wasn't what you were suppose to do! Hahah but I'm hoping I've got a B overall in history, needed an A in that exam to get an A which I thought was quite unlikely but I'll have to see. Good luck to everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending