The Student Room Group

AS ORC Biology F212 june 2014

I just had my F212 exam and thought it went alright; I am aiming for a grade A on this and the F211 paper. There were a few questions on the F212 paper I hesitated and struggled on how to answer but finger crossed my performance was good enough to get me the grade I want.
Those who also did the same exam this afternoon, how do you think it went?

Scroll to see replies

I thought overall it wasn't too challenging compared the any previous exams...

What did you put for other evidence of evolution?
Original post by Jake68910
I thought overall it wasn't too challenging compared the any previous exams...

What did you put for other evidence of evolution?

I talked about DNA differing in species so species with similar DNA base sequence have a common ancestor and if their DNA is totally different then they've never been related. I also talked about the age of rocks, observable similarities and difference between species, characteristics, genes, taxonomy and phylogeny.
I am not sure if I could get all 7 marks with this answer though :s-smilie:.

What did you put for the effects of components of smoking on cardiovascular system?
Original post by seph_muriel
I talked about DNA differing in species so species with similar DNA base sequence have a common ancestor and if their DNA is totally different then they've never been related. I also talked about the age of rocks, observable similarities and difference between species, characteristics, genes, taxonomy and phylogeny.
I am not sure if I could get all 7 marks with this answer though :s-smilie:.

What did you put for the effects of components of smoking on cardiovascular system?

I was not sure what points they wanted precisely for the available marks, so I just filled the page with everything I knew about smoking and causing disease, such as:

1) Bacteria filled mucous would irritate the airways
2) Nicotine makes platelets sticky increasing chance of blood clot
3) Carcinogens forming tumours
4) Scar tissue in the lungs, and digestive enzymes destroying elastin
5) Tar would increase the diffusion distance for gaseous exchange

Obviously I filled the page with each point in more detail, but I thought the question was a bit vague...
I was not sure what points they wanted precisely for the available marks, so I just filled the page with everything I knew about smoking and causing disease, such as:

Obviously I filled the page with each point in more detail, but I thought the question was a bit vague...

That's pretty much what I do with all types of questions I write everything I know about the subject when I'm not sure, in hope of getting a few marks rather than leaving the page blank and having no marks.

I talked about nicotine and carbon monoxide and their effects on the heart rate and diseases they cause.
That's pretty much what I do with all types of questions I write everything I know about the subject when I'm not sure, in hope of getting a few marks rather than leaving the page blank and having no marks.

I talked about nicotine and carbon monoxide and their effects on the heart rate and diseases they cause.

Yeah, seems like a reasonable way to go about it, overall I found the exams very easy, except for the question about other evidence for evolution and the smoking question.

What about you ?
Reply 6

As the question refers to the cardiovascular system, and not the respiratory system, points 1, 3, 4 and 5 here do not answer the question :s-smilie:
Yeah, seems like a reasonable way to go about it, overall I found the exams very easy, except for the question about other evidence for evolution and the smoking question.

What about you ?

I wouldn't say it was 'very easy' but I found the overall paper doable enough to get me an A or minimum a high B.

What grades are you aiming for in biology?
I wouldn't say it was 'very easy' but I found the overall paper doable enough to get me an A or minimum a high B.

What grades are you aiming for in biology?

Hmm, I found another threat where generally a lot of people found it easy, so I am expecting high grade boundaries.

I am aiming for B overall, in order to get my conditional offer from Loughborough.
Reply 9
I wrote about thrombosis. Nicotine causing platelets to get sticky causing clots. Clots can fall off and travel to the brain causing a stroke etc.. tar settling in alveoli increasing diffusion path. Nicotine mimicking a neurotransmitter releases adrenaline causing breathing rate to increase. Link this to damage to alveoli. Haemoglobin having a higher affinity for CO than for oxygen
What did you write for the question about lily in exsitu conservation 4 marker and structure of DNA for DNA replication...
What did you write for the question about lily and conserving them in exsitu, seed bank advantage and the produCing modern cows from the wild one ???
Original post by science33
What did you write for the question about lily and conserving them in exsitu, seed bank advantage and the produCing modern cows from the wild one ???

EX SITU

Remove competition. Reduce selective pressures. Reduce chance of disease as they're in a sterile environment. Prevent they being dug up to be sold and also to prevent predation. To allow their optimum conditions to be met to increase survival rate. And I cant remember what else...

Seed bank there are loads... Takes up less space, Freeze them to reduce chance of disease preserving their genome, costs less - don't need to feed or water them. Collecting seeds will not damage the enviroment.

Modern cows was just standard artificial selection...
I wrote about the structure of DNA and the process of its replication but didn't really links the two together, I don't no if il get even a mark for that :frown:
EX SITU

Remove competition. Reduce selective pressures. Reduce chance of disease as they're in a sterile environment. Prevent they being dug up to be sold and also to prevent predation. To allow their optimum conditions to be met to increase survival rate. And I cant remember what else...

Seed bank there are loads... Takes up less space, Freeze them to reduce chance of disease preserving their genome, costs less - don't need to feed or water them. Collecting seeds will not damage the enviroment.

Modern cows was just standard artificial selection...

Oh okay...thanks...I think wrote wrong stuff about the modern cows....what did you write for the question about overconsumption of milk and beef causes malnutrition and the question where you had to draw conclusions about lung cancer and death rate ...oh and the properties of cellulose??
What did you write for the question about lily in exsitu conservation 4 marker and structure of DNA for DNA replication...

For the lily question, I wrote about
-seeds being stored and allowed to germinate in protected surroundings
-Lots of seeds can be stored without taking too much space
-Easy for scientific research when ex-situ
-Safe environment

And for DNA, I talked about:

-Double helix unzipping by enzyme helicase
-Hydrogen bonds breaking
-Bases exposed
-Free nucleotide complementary base purine-pyrimidines
-Hydrogen bonds formed
-DNA polymerase

I wrote pretty much everything I knew about the topic
Original post by Lilzizbearr
I wrote about the structure of DNA and the process of its replication but didn't really links the two together, I don't no if il get even a mark for that :frown:

Oh just wrote about the semi conservative replication process ... I didn't know what to write....hope I get at least half of the mark
Oh okay...thanks...I think wrote wrong stuff about the modern cows....what did you write for the question about overconsumption of milk and beef causes malnutrition and the question where you had to draw conclusions about lung cancer and death rate ...oh and the properties of cellulose??

Over consumption of milk I was unsure... but I just spoke about how Milk and Beef are both high in fats, thus is fat consumption is greater than fat respired/metabolised then it will be stored as adipose cells in the body leading to obesity. And also that beef is high in Saturated fat, which can form LDL's with Chol. And protein, leading to athersclerosis which is related to Stroke and CHD.

Lung cancer and death rate I was also unsure about, I just said smoking is a cause of both. And that Smoking causes Lung cancer so must contain a carcinogen.

Properties of cellulose I put: Insoluble - Doesn't affect water potential.
Strong - Keeps rigidity of cell. And also that is was permeable to water.

None of these are certain, or even correct, answers by the way - it's just what I put...
For the lily question, I wrote about
-seeds being stored and allowed to germinate in protected surroundings
-Lots of seeds can be stored without taking too much space
-Easy for scientific research when ex-situ
-Safe environment

And for DNA, I talked about:

-Double helix unzipping by enzyme helicase
-Hydrogen bonds breaking
-Bases exposed
-Free nucleotide complementary base purine-pyrimidines
-Hydrogen bonds formed
-DNA polymerase

I wrote pretty much everything I knew about the topic

Same thats what I wrote for the DNA question.....what about the question on overconsumption of milk and beef leading to
Malnutrition ???
Over consumption of milk I was unsure... but I just spoke about how Milk and Beef are both high in fats, thus is fat consumption is greater than fat respired/metabolised then it will be stored as adipose cells in the body leading to obesity. And also that beef is high in Saturated fat, which can form LDL's with Chol. And protein, leading to athersclerosis which is related to Stroke and CHD.

Lung cancer and death rate I was also unsure about, I just said smoking is a cause of both. And that Smoking causes Lung cancer so must contain a carcinogen.

Properties of cellulose I put: Insoluble - Doesn't affect water potential.
Strong - Keeps rigidity of cell. And also that is was permeable to water.

None of these are certain, or even correct, answers by the way - it's just what I put...

I put about the same things for those answers as well

What did you put for the question about method for unbiased sampling?

Quick Reply

Latest