The Student Room Group

AQA A2 HISTORY: The Triumph of Elizabeth, 1547-1603 Offical Thread. 2nd June 2014.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Original post by bkw321
Look back on it now, why do i feel so dis-confident. Darn it.

The more I think about it the more I think I could've/should've done..came out feeling like that and my teacher reassured me that it was a good thing. Sometimes the questions you can write the most for can be the hardest because you have to choose between info, but she said the important thing to remember is that they mark what's there, not what you left out :smile: trust me you're not alone. I feel the same x
Original post by LonelyPlanet
That was part of the English Armada in 1589 and the question was from 1568-1588?

I did exactly that, first question has so much to talk about as it was broad. Third question was ok, it wasn't the best but it was good. I just didn't quite managing to write down everything I wanted to say. -.-

That's how I felt about the first question! I thought there was too much to write on all of the policy areas so just did Somerset, Northumberland to Mary and talked about how their religious policies either helped to create or counteract instability (obviously with reference to how this affected other policy areas in England). Glad to see someone else did it the same way as I did!
Original post by bennyos1
I did Q1 and Q3.

For Q1, my argument was that it caused instability due to the contrasting religious reforms introduced by different rulers. The population had no time to settle on a religious policy before it was changed by the next ruler. I backed it up with evidence and historiography.

Did anyone else do similar?

Yes, thats exactly what I did.
Reply 483
Original post by annmcc
The more I think about it the more I think I could've/should've done..came out feeling like that and my teacher reassured me that it was a good thing. Sometimes the questions you can write the most for can be the hardest because you have to choose between info, but she said the important thing to remember is that they mark what's there, not what you left out :smile: trust me you're not alone. I feel the same x

Thanks for the reassurance. I just felt as though I had to be selective on the info i put down.
Reply 484
Original post by bkw321
Thanks for the reassurance. I just felt as though I had to be selective on the info i put down.

Same. Definitely think I've blown it because I need AAA
I did Q1 which was nice, but Q2 was awful as had never heard the phrase 'domestic affairs' and no one at my school had either, so think my essay for that wasn't that strong :frown: did everyone else know what domestic affairs were?!
Original post by bkd12345
I did Q1 which was nice, but Q2 was awful as had never heard the phrase 'domestic affairs' and no one at my school had either, so think my essay for that wasn't that strong :frown: did everyone else know what domestic affairs were?!

It literally just meant anything that happened within England such as threat to Elizabeth's internal security i.e. Northern Rebellion or any of the Catholic Plots against her
Reply 487
Original post by bkd12345

Domestic means within her country :smile: so pretty much everything was valid except foreign policy

Posted from TSR Mobile
I only mentioned the stuff England did in Q3 as forgot anything the Spanish did to cause deterioration as I thought it was all England's fault to reacting to Spanish military presence in the Netherlands 😣
Reply 489
I did 4 sides on each question at least 15 paragraphs all together, clear judgements, and use of historians to support my arguments. Presented both sides of the arguments for both Q1 & Q2, do you think I've at least got 35-42 on each question. Hard to say without seeing the content, but on paper, does it look like i'm in a fair chance of achieving such marks?
Reply 490
Original post by tengentoppa
I think it was OK.

Q1. Somerset inept, not religion. Northumberland and succession, not religion. Mary reign stable, what little instablity there was, not religion. To conclude, not religion.
q2. Did well in first 30 years with religion-puritans, presbytarians, omission of black rubric, northern rebellion.
Also did well with religion in last years, but messed up with parliament and society. Overall, yes quote is true.

I'm not particularly confident of getting an A in this exam, but I only need 60% in this one to get an A overall so I'm fairly happy. Good luck to everyone! :smile:

I did exactly the same as you. By the time I realised how big question 2 was, I just carried on. I feel so bad. Also, I mainly focused on religion and parl and rebellion, and society barely mentioned economics. You think I could possibly get 25+ marks for that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 491
Also how do plots even remotely have anything in relation to domestic affairs, considering they involved outsiders.:frown: I can understand though where you guys are coming from. I hated q 2, there was too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, I rememberd something from my exam I put in and I'm really worried I'm going to be discredited! In the first question, I put about Catholicism was restored at an official level so for ordinary Catholics wasn't much of a problem, but there was trouble getting it secured in parliament as it wasn't resolved until 3rd parliament causing parliamentary instablity?? Would really appreciate you letting me know what you think, really need an a :/
Reply 493
I wonder what the grade boundaries will be . Last year it was 35 for an A or about that much.
Reply 494
Original post by csmith95
Hey guys, I rememberd something from my exam I put in and I'm really worried I'm going to be discredited! In the first question, I put about Catholicism was restored at an official level so for ordinary Catholics wasn't much of a problem, but there was trouble getting it secured in parliament as it wasn't resolved until 3rd parliament causing parliamentary instablity?? Would really appreciate you letting me know what you think, really need an a :/

Well the question was asking about instability in general so that's fine and the reason for the parliamentary instability was due to the religious changes implemented by Mary I so it's fine tbh :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I cannot believe Spain came up 3 times back to back !!
However the other two question for fairly easy.hopefully went well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Adamk_14
I did exactly the same as you. By the time I realised how big question 2 was, I just carried on. I feel so bad. Also, I mainly focused on religion and parl and rebellion, and society barely mentioned economics. You think I could possibly get 25+ marks for that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes definitely. I think most actions involved religion, rebellion etc. economics was a lesser issue for Elizabethan government so I think you'll be fine.
Reply 497
Original post by knighty437
I'm in a state school. Interesting approaches for Q1. I personally did themes:
Religion
Government failures- so economic and social
Foreign policy
And then just concluded Foreign Policy caused the most instability because of the financial constraints it brought upon people in their every day lives.
... However knowing my luck that wasn't what you were suppose to do! Hahah but I'm hoping I've got a B overall in history, needed an A in that exam to get an A which I thought was quite unlikely but I'll have to see. Good luck to everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did that too!!!! But probably think we'd get 30 max because we sort of misinterpreted the question :P
Reply 498

Original post by Kruz95
I did that too!!!! But probably think we'd get 30 max because we sort of misinterpreted the question :P

No you didn't. You merely showed that other factors had more of a role. I personally, thought that religion was the main reason for the instability in all 3 regimes. But I did contrast them with financial, economic, political and social grievances. Don't worry you've probs done well.
Reply 499
that's totally legit- I remember seeing it mentioned in the examiners report last year on the question about religion so I'm pretty sure you'll be fine :smile: don't forget, the examiners mark positively and as long as your point makes sense and you have evidence to back it up, you can't really be wrong

Quick Reply

Latest