The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Krish4791
Murray's the more reliable/consistent of the two, so I would expect a 3/4 set victory for him there. However, Monfils at the moment is tearing Garcia-Lopez apart. If he plays like this, he might well have a chance to win in 3 or 4. In summary, my view is that it would depend on which Monfils turns up

So Murray wouldn't be able to win against Monfils at his best? Interesting. After seeing Monfils in such pain against Fognini that gives me hope. The french crowd is going to be unbearable though
Reply 781
Original post by Skkc16
So Murray wouldn't be able to win against Monfils at his best? Interesting. After seeing Monfils in such pain against Fognini that gives me hope. The french crowd is going to be unbearable though

I say Murray at 80% or better would beat Monfils at his best - just needs to keep the aggression going
The problem would arise if Andy started becoming more passive. Monfils has pretty good defensive skills, but as an opponent (whoever you are), you'll be in real trouble if he starts dictating and ripping 100mph forehands whilst jumping in the air (kind of like today)

all my opinion though. And yes, the crowd will annoy us a lot. Perhaps the only time I cheer alongside them is when Fed is playing. They don't seem to like anyone else, so I find them annoying and disrespectful at other times
(edited 9 years ago)
I say Murray at 80% or better would beat Monfils at his best - just needs to keep the aggression going
The problem would arise if Andy started becoming more passive. Monfils has pretty good defensive skills, but as an opponent (whoever you are), you'll be in real trouble if he starts dictating and ripping 100mph forehands whilst jumping in the air (kind of like today)

all my opinion though. And yes, the crowd will annoy us a lot. Perhaps the only time I cheer alongside them is when Fed is playing. They don't seem to like anyone else, so I find them annoying and disrespectful at other times

I meant Monfils at his best but it's alright I get what you mean either way. Should be a good match :smile:
Original post by 419
Verdasco's already choking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He was never ahead.
Send it to a 4th Verdasco!
Drat.
Reply 786
Really good performance from Murray - the match against Monfils should be very interesting
Reply 787
So many unforced errors from both Verdasco and Murray in that match, should make the match with Monfils very interesting indeed.

Also this match was a good example of how much slower clay courts are than grass as Verdasco's forehand was far less useful here than it was at Wimbledon when he was blazing them past Murray for two sets.
Really good performance from Murray - the match against Monfils should be very interesting

I second this; it's going to be a mouthwatering prospect! Though Murray will need to keep his temperament, especially if Gael gets some first set early joy in front of a partisan crowd.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 789
Original post by Doppelgänger
I second this; it's going to be a mouthwatering prospect! Though Murray will need to keep his temperament, especially if Gael gets some first set early joy in front of a partisan crowd.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't worry about his temperament now - he looks really relaxed on court now, he's smiling a lot it's incredible how well he's settled into life after winning Wimbledon and after the back surgery. He showed great sportsmanship today somewhere in the 3rd set, and I don't think he'll let the crowd bother him in the least.
I wouldn't worry about his temperament now - he looks really relaxed on court now, he's smiling a lot it's incredible how well he's settled into life after winning Wimbledon and after the back surgery. He showed great sportsmanship today somewhere in the 3rd set, and I don't think he'll let the crowd bother him in the least.

Murray had a 5 set match in the 3rd round this weekend before Verdasco today and if you watched that match you can see he still has issues keeping his cool. He's warmed up and largely managed his temperament well after his successes at Wimbledon, US Open and Olympics but coming back from an injury adds to the mental factor - as in him thinking is he back to his best? I noticed certainly in the 3rd round he was alluding to back problems and pulling up for some points. It all adds up under partisan conditions imho. (ps it's easy to show sportsmanhip when you're winning)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doppelgänger
Murray had a 5 set match in the 3rd round this weekend before Verdasco today and if you watched that match you can see he still has issues keeping his cool. He's warmed up and largely managed his temperament well after his successes at Wimbledon, US Open and Olympics but coming back from an injury adds to the mental factor - as in him thinking is he back to his best? I noticed certainly in the 3rd round he was alluding to back problems and pulling up for some points. It all adds up under partisan conditions imho. (ps it's easy to show sportsmanhip when you're winning)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Murray always does the back holding thing. It's an affectation I think, not an unsporting one, but just borne out of consciousness for an injured area. He did get a bit annoyed again Kohlschreiber at times, but it was a high pressure match and he knew he should have won in the fourth. Overall I've been very impressed with his focus. He usually struggles with lapses but he hasn't had too many, apart from against Kohlschreiber.
Original post by Sirocco11
Murray always does the back holding thing. It's an affectation I think, not an unsporting one, but just borne out of consciousness for an injured area. He did get a bit annoyed again Kohlschreiber at times, but it was a high pressure match and he knew he should have won in the fourth. Overall I've been very impressed with his focus. He usually struggles with lapses but he hasn't had too many, apart from against Kohlschreiber.

Nobody said him holding his back is unsporting; if anything an opponent seeing him do that can gain an advantage by his show of weakness. Exactly my point, the next match with Monfils will come under greater pressure due to the partisan crowd and so it is imperative Murray wins the first set to dampen their spirits. I acknowledge your assessment of him and agree other than the 3rd round match he has been impressive.

Also, Tsonga was rolled over by Djokovic and didn't live up to the bill, I'm hoping Gael can at least challenge Murray!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sharapova dug herself out of a hole there.

Down a set she got a break in the second but lost it to go to 5-5. She won the set 7-5 though and is now 5-1 in the third.

Bloody wish they'd get off court so we can watch Raonic vs Djokovic though.
Djokovic got the first set.
Reply 795
Maria got me scared. Thankfully she was able to come back. With Federer out and Ferrer with no chance, Maria will hopefully make this a good tournament for me.
Djokovic gets the second.
And that's it, Raonic's gone to pieces.
Reply 798
Gulbis thrashes and disposes of mental midget Tomas Berdych in straight sets. Great tournament for him.
Djokovic broken whilst serving for the match but still has another chance to close it out and paly Gulbis on Friday
Reply 799
Gulbis thrashes and disposes of mental midget Tomas Berdych in straight sets. Great tournament for him.
Djokovic broken whilst serving for the match but still has another chance to close it out and paly Gulbis on Friday

Gulbis to take out Djokovic on Friday?

Quick Reply

Latest