The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peggles_*
It will be entirely Wenger's fault of Cesc goes to Chelsea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You probably think Wenger's responsible when the milkman is late
Original post by little_tom
Willian? Salah? Vitesse's starting XI? You didn't "need" those players either.

The funny thing is that we actually need Fabregas.

We'll simply play him deeper. He can play as a no.8 and a no.10. Anybody saying we don't need him needs to look at the god awful play we've been subjected to watch this season. Effective but you could make it more effective with Fabregas in Lampards position.
Original post by Peggles_*
It will be entirely Wenger's fault of Cesc goes to Chelsea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jose is falling into Wengers trap. Although I guess it's worth a try. Even if you do get Fabregas it's not going to strengthen your team that much. He's not better than Ozil as a no.10 and he's not better than Ramsey if Ramsey keeps up the form of last season. You think Fab would be on course for 20 goals a season like Ramsey was last season if injury free?

You'd think that City and Liverpool would have made a move for him e.g. We're falling into a trap and it's so plain to see.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
You're waiting for the bid to be accepted, Cesc will stall, Wenger will buy because of the contract.

If I was Mourinho I wouldn't touch Fabregas. Or would have tapped him up months ago in preparation for this. He's falling right into Arsene's trap.

Saying that I don't think there's much difference in quality between who you currently have(the guy with the very good peripheral vision and Ramsey) who play in Cesc's positions.

I'll be honest I hope that's how it's playing out. The trap is all dependant on Wenger and we all know what he's like.

I agree about the quality of what we already have compared to Cesc but can we rely on their fitness? Strength in depth.

Original post by Yawn-er
Why spend 30m on a player you don't need?

Even if it is Cesc Fabregas.

Why did Arsenal sign Ozil, We didn't need him so why sign him?

Is Jack gunna last the whole season uninjured, probably not.

Flamini, Cazorla, Arteta, Rosicky aren't getting younger.

We don't want our rival being strengthen with a world class player.

When a player of such quality becomes available for such a low price you don't refuse. If Wenger had known Cesc would be available would he have signed Ozil for £42M???
I never said Chelsea don't need Fabregas, I just find it funny how a Chelsea fan is saying we don't need Fabregas (fair enough) when the main reason they bought Salah and Willian was to stop other clubs from strengthening.

For Mourinho to get the best out of Cesc he would have to build the team around him and allow him to do whatever the **** he wants like how Wenger utilized him in his Arsenal days. I don't think Mourinho is prepared to do that, and I don't know how useful he would be against parked buses if he doesn't change his overall style of play.
Original post by jam278
You think Fab would be on course for 20 goals a season like Ramsey was last season if injury free?

Again this depends entirely on how Mourinho uses him. And I certainly don't see him using Fabregas the same way Wenger used him.
http://instagram.com/p/owRTNsOJ5g/

Podolski must have been in the same squad as Alex Song for about 3 days, and has never played with Eto'o. So Poldi captions a photo of them as with his 'friends'. Also #GerCam

Poldi is like that guy who knows everyone and spends 6h each day networking with random people :laugh:
Again this depends entirely on how Mourinho uses him. And I certainly don't see him using Fabregas the same way Wenger used him.

I mean for Arsenal? Because I see him going to Arsenal.
Willian? Salah? Vitesse's starting XI? You didn't "need" those players either.

Like Zurich says ^ - CFC need Fabregas (or a top-tier central midfielder). Just happens that Fabregas is available. I'd be happy with Pogba/Vidal/Koke, but Fabregas isn't too shabby.

Willian we didn't need (although it paid off very, very well - most consistent performer), but after losing Mata + KDB, Salah was definitely needed as cover.

It's different for you guys though. Ox/Ramsey/Wilshere all desperately need a lot of game-time to become top-tier players. Fabregas would mean one of them (probably the Ox) just wouldn't get to fulfill his potential.

Would you take an Ox that has 90-100% fulfilled his potential as a top-tier midfielder, or a Fabregas at 27 who'll be at his peak for 3 years or so?
Reply 6448
Bring on 1st of September already so I can get on some ssris.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam278
I mean for Arsenal? Because I see him going to Arsenal.

It's still too early too see if Wenger is interested and if so, how he would use him with Ozil in the team. Ramsey can't be dropped since no one else in our squad offers that amount of energy/defensive work-rate in the b2b role.
It's still too early too see if Wenger is interested and if so, how he would use him with Ozil in the team. Ramsey can't be dropped since no one else in our squad offers that amount of energy/defensive work-rate in the b2b role.

He'll use him everywhere rotating with everybody in different positions. Ramsey, Wilshere, Ozil all suffered burnouts because Wenger essentially played the same first 11 the whole season.

It's obvious how he's going to use him, considering how people get injured all the time.

He's staying at Barca or will be an Arsenal player. Wenger has got this which I'd hate to say. Chelsea can't outbid Arsenal because of the first refusal and we're not going to give Fabregas above 130k a week which would be what he'd probably ask for tbh.
Original post by Yawn-er
Like Zurich says ^ - CFC need Fabregas (or a top-tier central midfielder). Just happens that Fabregas is available. I'd be happy with Pogba/Vidal/Koke, but Fabregas isn't too shabby.

Willian we didn't need (although it paid off very, very well - most consistent performer), but after losing Mata + KDB, Salah was definitely needed as cover.

It's different for you guys though. Ox/Ramsey/Wilshere all desperately need a lot of game-time to become top-tier players. Fabregas would mean one of them (probably the Ox) just wouldn't get to fulfill his potential.

Would you take an Ox that has 90-100% fulfilled his potential as a top-tier midfielder, or a Fabregas at 27 who'll be at his peak for 3 years or so?

We're not getting Vidal, he's next to impossible to attain, only Madrid can you see getting him and he doesn't sort out the issue of creativity to the level we need him to.

Salah wasn't needed as cover.

Ox can play on either wing, so I don't get why you're using Chamberlain here. At worst Wilshere will struggle and tbh he'll find a way to fit them. People will get injuries. This is Arsenal we are talking about.
(edited 9 years ago)
Pretty obvious what Arsenal need to do if they bring in Cesc...

- DM Ramsey
--- Fabregas
Ozil ST Walcott
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
He'll use him everywhere rotating with everybody in different positions. Ramsey, Wilshere, Ozil all suffered burnouts because Wenger essentially played the same first 11 the whole season.

It's obvious how he's going to use him, considering how people get injured all the time.

He's staying at Barca or will be an Arsenal player.

Ramsey should definately be rotated because he was over-used, but Ozil could potentially be pushed out wide for certain games the same way Cazorla was pushed out wide when Ozil was signed. The problem is more so having Ozil, Cesc and Ramsey on at the same time but as long as we bench one of them we could fit the other two into our system with no issues.
Reply 6453
Original post by jam278

He's staying at Barca or will be an Arsenal player. Wenger has got this which I'd hate to say. Chelsea can't outbid Arsenal because of the first refusal and we're not going to give Fabregas above 130k a week which would be what he'd probably ask for tbh.

Your posts make me smile when you say he's coming Arsenal - No homo

Just hope he does :frown:
Ramsey should definately be rotated because he was over-used, but Ozil could potentially be pushed out wide for certain games the same way Cazorla was pushed out wide when Ozil was signed. The problem is more so having Ozil, Cesc and Ramsey on at the same time but as long as we bench one of them we could fit the residue into our system with no issues.

Ozil got burnt out and was overused, he was rarely ever subbed at the start of the season. He can play out wide but his work rate in tracking back is poor. Would work vs the small teams I guess.

Cesc, Ramsey and Ozil will challenge for a spot, that's not a problem. It's not like Arteta is that great a no.6. If you told Cesc to just sit back and pass sideways and backwards I don't think he'll struggle here. Not like the Barcelona team have never played as if they have 10 Mikel artetas and Messi anyway?

Chelsea are falling into a trap and we're going to look like mugs at the end of this.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Pretty obvious what Arsenal need to do if they bring in Cesc...

- DM Ramsey
--- Fabregas
Ozil ST Walcott

Could work, Di Maria got made into a CM so Ozil could play as an LM.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jan/17/arsene-wenger-julian-draxler-arsenal

''Just the idea that Wenger has thought about this long and hard, listened to the arguments on all sides, and decided: "Yes, what we really need here is someone to play between the lines of the spaces between the lines," was enough to make the heart swell with a sense of all being right with the world, like hearing distant news of cancelled trains or snow chaos on the A40...

...Not that this is anything new: the age of the all‑purpose midfielder has been dawning for some time across Europe. Plus there is also variety even within Arsenal's repetitions. Alex Oxlade‑Chamberlain offers barrel‑chested incision, Santi Cazorla will keep the ball tenderly, tiptoeing around in possession like a love‑struck chihuahua in a Disney cartoon spectacular, a single crumpled rose clutched between his teeth. Mesut Özil can look like the most beautiful of ornate midfield follies. As for Lukas Podolski, I have a theory there is some terrible misunderstanding here, that he hasn't actually mustered up the courage to "come out" as a striker at Arsenal, that he turned up at training and just joined in with what everyone else was doing, like arriving in the office canteen on your first day at work and on a whim pretending to have a broad Mexican accent, and somehow finding yourself still doing it three years later.

For the neutral the most fascinating part is watching Wenger become more entrenched with age, more absolute in his hair shirt adherence to the basic tenets of Wengerball, that dream of football as a fluid, frictionless, thrillingly homogenised property, and stalking the touchline in his quilted floor-length gown with an expression of fond, tolerant disapproval. He doesn't even really seem to say much any more, he just opens his mouth and allows gobbets of fully formed Wenger-speak to come out as he nods and smiles and seems to be enjoying at one remove the absolute Wengerism of his own performance. A journalist in Australia told me Wenger went to South Africa not long ago and was asked, among other things, how he'd fancy managing Fifa's world XI for the year. Wenger paused and frowned and scratched his chin and eventually said: "Well, it would be hard to balance the books."
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
http://instagram.com/p/owRTNsOJ5g/

Podolski must have been in the same squad as Alex Song for about 3 days, and has never played with Eto'o. So Poldi captions a photo of them as with his 'friends'. Also #GerCam

Poldi is like that guy who knows everyone and spends 6h each day networking with random people :laugh:

He looks like such a nice guy though, I like how he's friendly with everyone.
Original post by Kruz
He looks like such a nice guy though, I like how he's friendly with everyone.

Remember when we played against RVP at Old Trafford for the first time and players like Wilshere/Sagna who'd known him for years and years were giving him the cold shoulder in the tunnel. Poldi goes out of his way to march up the tunnel and give RVP a man hug. They were in the squad together for approximately 3 hours. :biggrin:
Wenger could pull some srs power moves and make it seem like mou done goofed up.

this gon' be a long summer

Latest