The Student Room Group

AQA Eng Lang Question 6: Argue or Persuade?

This poll is closed

Argue Or Persuade

Argue 83%
Persuade17%
Total votes: 24
Argue or Persuade?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
argue
Original post by BBeyond
argue

theres a pole
Reply 3
Original post by Angelo12231
theres a pole

didn't see that :frown:
Reply 4
To be honest mate I don't think it really matters. AQA were very vague in the question - I took it as an argument but a persuasive piece would also suffice. I'm going to try and find a past paper with a similar question and see what the examiner report stated. :smile:
Original post by Parallex
To be honest mate I don't think it really matters. AQA were very vague in the question - I took it as an argument but a persuasive piece would also suffice. I'm going to try and find a past paper with a similar question and see what the examiner report stated. :smile:

Yeah, I agree with this.

They didn't clearly state, so it could be interpreted in different ways.
Couldve been both tbh, I argued for, but also tried to make my points persuasive, and also considering other peoples points of view.
Reply 7
What exactly is the difference (in terms of when actually writing your response) between persuade and argue? Different techniques? Tone?
Original post by ColeNate
What exactly is the difference (in terms of when actually writing your response) between persuade and argue? Different techniques? Tone?

Persuading is with your heart, arguing is with your head. So you use emotive language and back it up with opinions for persuade. For argue, you use logical and reasoned points that are based solely on fact so no opinions are addressed.
To be honest, why the **** didn't AQA just write Argue or Persuade......................... But the question was more towards argue though. I better well be bloody expecting low down-to-the-ground grade boundaries in august...
Persuading is with your heart, arguing is with your head. So you use emotive language and back it up with opinions for persuade. For argue, you use logical and reasoned points that are based solely on fact so no opinions are addressed.

My article was biased as hell - the opposition got a mere few lines of defence which were all counter argued. :P
My article was biased as hell - the opposition got a mere few lines of defence which were all counter argued. :P

ahaha but thats what you were mean't to do :3 say opposing view then boom, shoot it out of the sky with a solid counter strike My article didnt even seem like one... i forgot to do headline ahhh
ahaha but thats what you were mean't to do :3 say opposing view then boom, shoot it out of the sky with a solid counter strike My article didnt even seem like one... i forgot to do headline ahhh

I forgot the headline too, don't worry. I actually thought of the headline whilst I was writing it but I had no room to write it above my text so I just left it. Surely that doesn't matter though... it's something you'd hear in primary school.
I forgot the headline too, don't worry. I actually thought of the headline whilst I was writing it but I had no room to write it above my text so I just left it. Surely that doesn't matter though... it's something you'd hear in primary school.

lol Not at all... Its just something that will make your article look like an article...

Thanks. My response was a mix between argue and persuade then.
Thanks. My response was a mix between argue and persuade then.

Oh no they are almost the same thing so don't worry. Just as long as your points are backed up by heavy statistics and not 'too' much opinion
[QUOTE="Arithmeticae;47940093"]Yeah, I agree with this.

They didn't clearly state, so it could be interpreted in different ways.[/QUOTE
i argued disagree
Oh no they are almost the same thing so don't worry. Just as long as your points are backed up by heavy statistics and not 'too' much opinion

I seem to remember saying something on the lines of:

When your precious little Jimmy has spent the sixth hour of his day on Facebook telling his mates 'rofl' and an arsenal of other appalling acronyms, it's not difficult to see why he's doing bad at school.

Every time your child 'likes' their Pringles or any other brand they are playing into a clever con.
I seem to remember saying something on the lines of:

When your precious little Jimmy has spent the sixth hour of his day on Facebook telling his mates 'rofl' and an arsenal of other appalling acronyms, it's not difficult to see why he's doing bad at school.

Every time your child 'likes' their Pringles or any other brand they are playing into a clever con.

thats nor fact, nor opinion so its fine
Before polling for persuade... ask yourself a question: ''AGREE OR DISAGREE'' - Would this be an Argument or a Persuasion? Now do your poll.

Quick Reply

Latest