The Student Room Group

The unit 3 product design 2014 exam

Just sat the exam this morning, I found the questions quite difficult compared to previous exam paper questions. Can someone answer this please....can metal buckets be made through spinning? I chose spinning as it says 3D hollow objects are made from this process
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lew96
Just sat the exam this morning, I found the questions quite difficult compared to previous exam paper questions. Can someone answer this please....can metal buckets be made through spinning? I chose spinning as it says 3D hollow objects are made from this process

Hey I think that's an acceptable answer, I wrote press forming the bucket with a die. For the wringing out section was stamped to make circular holes and also press formed. I said the metal joining the handle to the bucket could be stamped or CNC lasered. And I was unsure about the metal handle, I wrote down metal extrusion but wasn't confident with this answer so I crossed ti out and wrote die casting.

Which ques did you choose to do? I did Q2, Q5,Q6 and Q9
Reply 2
Original post by doiknowyou
Hey I think that's an acceptable answer, I wrote press forming the bucket with a die. For the wringing out section was stamped to make circular holes and also press formed. I said the metal joining the handle to the bucket could be stamped or CNC lasered. And I was unsure about the metal handle, I wrote down metal extrusion but wasn't confident with this answer so I crossed ti out and wrote die casting.

I wrote die casting aswell for the part where the water is drained. The exam could of done with at least one question about finishes or applications of certain classifications.
I cant remember the numbers exactly but I did the first one about textures etc, the mop bucket one and one about patents.
I did get a little confused about the material specification part though
(edited 9 years ago)
I did question 1 on inclusive design, development in technology in two areas. The mop bucket question and the two design movement question to refference to arange of products to show good design.
Reply 4

I thought the handle of the buckets were made through pressure die casting? Did you say anything about the rubber looking grip on the handle?
Original post by mattc39
I thought the handle of the buckets were made through pressure die casting? Did you say anything about the rubber looking grip on the handle?

I wasn't sure on how the rubber part was formed, I should have written down that it was injection moulded.
For the plastic bucket I said the handle had been placed in the die so that the plastic would be moulded around the handle in the process of injection moulding, is that right?

Did you write down that the metal bucket is galvanised and what material did you say it was? I wrote down aluminimum.
Reply 8
Did you write down that the metal bucket is galvanised and what material did you say it was? I wrote down aluminimum.

No I didn't write galvanised, think I put medium carbon steel.

Quick Reply

Latest