The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AliyaMustafina
What's yours??

Mine was "are the drug tests used in sport accurate and reliable?
Reply 5101
I'm in year 12 as EPQ will be started once my exams are over, I was under the impression that it was just research and an essay, do I have to do a presentation? I have really bad stage fright and practically fall to pieces if I have to answer a question in front of a class let alone deliver a presentation, will it badly affect my overall mark if I do an awful presentation? I'd like a high grade as all my other grades will hopefully be As (waiting for results day!) but I don't know if I'll be able to do a good presentation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OhhNo
I'm in year 12 as EPQ will be started once my exams are over, I was under the impression that it was just research and an essay, do I have to do a presentation? I have really bad stage fright and practically fall to pieces if I have to answer a question in front of a class let alone deliver a presentation, will it badly affect my overall mark if I do an awful presentation? I'd like a high grade as all my other grades will hopefully be As (waiting for results day!) but I don't know if I'll be able to do a good presentation

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do need to do a presentation (on AQA, not sure about Edexcel) and it's 20% of your mark. But it's really really really relaxed. In mine, I was sat on a swingy chair and was just rolling around the room. Also, it's only to 2 people, one being your supervisor and another to who ever you want. The questions are also casual, one of my questions were 'what do you want to do after university?'. Obviously I don't know how bad your stage fright is, but I can honestly say that you are the person giving the presentation so you can do it however you want. You can ever write everything you want to say on note cards if you find it hard to speak off the top of your head. As for the content, you just need to refer to how your research went, how you went about doing it, went went well and even better if. I really wouldn't worry if I was you. The EPQ is fantastic and if you do a topic you really enjoy it's quite easy to get a good mark and can hugely benefit your uni application and on some courses reduce your entry requirements! I really hope this helped. Good luck no matter what you choose to do. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5103
Original post by Factorisation
You do need to do a presentation (on AQA, not sure about Edexcel) and it's 20% of your mark. But it's really really really relaxed. In mine, I was sat on a swingy chair and was just rolling around the room. Also, it's only to 2 people, one being your supervisor and another to who ever you want. The questions are also casual, one of my questions were 'what do you want to do after university?'. Obviously I don't know how bad your stage fright is, but I can honestly say that you are the person giving the presentation so you can do it however you want. You can ever write everything you want to say on note cards if you find it hard to speak off the top of your head. As for the content, you just need to refer to how your research went, how you went about doing it, went went well and even better if. I really wouldn't worry if I was you. The EPQ is fantastic and if you do a topic you really enjoy it's quite easy to get a good mark and can hugely benefit your uni application and on some courses reduce your entry requirements! I really hope this helped. Good luck no matter what you choose to do. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds a lot less daunting than I imagined, chances are my supervisor will be six form staff and they're lovely, so thanks! :smile:
Reply 5104
My supervisor marked my project as 51/54. :yay:
Scared about the moderation now though! :frown:
I'm thinking of doing the EPQ

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by suarti10
I'm thinking of doing the EPQ

Posted from TSR Mobile

My advice - think again and then come to the conclusion that it's a bad idea. :wink:
Original post by Joe7
My advice - think again and then come to the conclusion that it's a bad idea. :wink:

:smile: haha maybe I will :smile::mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do the results come out on results day alongside our A level results?
Original post by Soontobesuper
Do the results come out on results day alongside our A level results?

Yes
What would some good EPQ titles be for a Chemistry, Psychology or Geography related theme?
Hi guys, for my project I am particularly interested in doing Nazi Germany, and to what extent Hitler was an 'evil' man, so the majority of my project will surround the Holocaust. Is my topic area a bit too general? Other suggestions welcomed. :smile:

My second option for my project would be the USA's involvement in WWII, but I am not sure what my title could be?
Original post by jjmichaeljadson
Hi guys, for my project I am particularly interested in doing Nazi Germany, and to what extent Hitler was an 'evil' man, so the majority of my project will surround the Holocaust. Is my topic area a bit too general? Other suggestions welcomed. :smile:

My second option for my project would be the USA's involvement in WWII, but I am not sure what my title could be?

Personally I think it would be too difficult to investigate the Hitler project as the word 'evil' is slightly ambiguous. What I'd try and do is investigate a really specific title in which you can easily research. For example, 'To what extent was the holocaust centrally planned?'
Original post by Joe7
Personally I think it would be too difficult to investigate the Hitler project as the word 'evil' is slightly ambiguous. What I'd try and do is investigate a really specific title in which you can easily research. For example, 'To what extent was the holocaust centrally planned?'

I thought the same, I got halfway through my planning and found it was very far-fetched and would be extremely difficult to research everything. What do you mean 'centrally planned'? Could you elaborate please? Also, I already have good knowledge of the USA in WWII, what topics could I research into that? :smile:
I thought the same, I got halfway through my planning and found it was very far-fetched and would be extremely difficult to research everything. What do you mean 'centrally planned'? Could you elaborate please? Also, I already have good knowledge of the USA in WWII, what topics could I research into that? :smile:

It was just an example, but I meant how far was the Holocaust planned by those at the top of the Nazi hierarchy such as Hitler, and how much of it was down to the actions of those at the lower levels. There is some historical debate as to how much influence Hitler actually had over the Holocaust.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsibility_for_the_Holocaust
(edited 9 years ago)
how does how westernised culture has defined what it means to be beautiful sound?

there's a lot of debate about whether Hitler was born evil or became evil through his upbringing e.g. mothers death. could be a good starting point if that's what you do
Hello guys, haven't posted on here since I began my EPQ but it was such a great experience!!

I started last July, and my finished title was: "To what extent did John and Jackie Kennedy use the media to gain and reinforce presidential power?".

My advice would be to make sure you choose a topic you are really interested in. My interest in the Kennedy's practically kept me going all year, and so many of my friends dropped out because they lost interest. I used a variety of sources, going up to my local university (Lancaster) library to use their academic works, and ultimately finished my 6700 word essay in about February. I did my presentation in April and I've found out I got 50/50 in the moderation, so I'm really really thrilled!! Of course this could change before results day, but if anybody needs any advice or anything - then ask, I really enjoyed doing the EPQ and I wouldn't say I'm an uber-intelligent person, it just needs a lot of dedication and your own interest!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AlexanderStuart
Hello guys, haven't posted on here since I began my EPQ but it was such a great experience!!

I started last July, and my finished title was: "To what extent did John and Jackie Kennedy use the media to gain and reinforce presidential power?".

My advice would be to make sure you choose a topic you are really interested in. My interest in the Kennedy's practically kept me going all year, and so many of my friends dropped out because they lost interest. I used a variety of sources, going up to my local university (Lancaster) library to use their academic works, and ultimately finished my 6700 word essay in about February. I did my presentation in April and I've found out I got 50/50 in the moderation, so I'm really really thrilled!! Of course this could change before results day, but if anybody needs any advice or anything - then ask, I really enjoyed doing the EPQ and I wouldn't say I'm an uber-intelligent person, it just needs a lot of dedication and your own interest!

I'm the same as this guy. Albeit I chose to do mine on Shakespearean influences in modern entertainment. Feel free to inbox me questions etc.
Im doing mine this year and have decided on the title 'What are the differences between the approaches to whole life sentencing within the British and American legal systems?' Im gonna do some stuff comparing the UK to two different US states (maybe New York State and Texas State) and then I was gonna compare adult and child (under 18s) sentencing laws. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending