The Student Room Group

doctorate in North America??

I'm currently studying medicine at the University of Cambridge but will graduate in a few years. I would love to complete a doctorate at a university in North America, but I don't really know too much about applying etc. Does anyone know of any good websites where I can find out more?? Thank you
Reply 1
Literally Google is your greatest resource. One Google search pulled up the Fulbright Commission's page on what degrees are on offer in the US, and there is a wealth of information to clue you up about the basics.
Reply 2
PhDs in the US and Canada are very long like 4-5 years. But anyways at the PhD level its all about what you are interested in research wise, so really we can't help you.
Also it is very expensive in america to get your degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by jquacksall

Posted from TSR Mobile

For PhD you might be able to get funding though. Harvard funds all its PhDs in full and I think you get a stipend as well like 30k a year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ukmed108
PhDs in the US and Canada are very long like 4-5 years. But anyways at the PhD level its all about what you are interested in research wise, so really we can't help you.

Remember though that the US PhD program doesn't require a masters for entry, there will sometimes be one built-in (issuable on completion of coursework requirements) though many students won't even bother to pick it up.

Original post by jquacksall

No, if you're doing a PhD they are (almost always) paying you, and certainly at the kind of school to which a student graduating from Cambridge would apply.
Reply 6
Original post by cambio wechsel
Remember though that the US PhD program doesn't require a masters for entry, there will sometimes be one built-in (issuable on completion of coursework requirements) though many students won't even bother to pick it up.

No, if you're doing a PhD they are (almost always) paying you, and certainly at the kind of school to which a student graduating from Cambridge would apply.

Well with medicine you usually can just enter a PhD program without a masters in any case as the MB BChir can usually substitute a masters degree.
Reply 7
For those who tried applying on both sides of the pond, where was it easier to secure a place for a PhD (assuming funding is a non-issue)? I don't want to waste money on application fees.
Original post by sirlim
For those who tried applying on both sides of the pond, where was it easier to secure a place for a PhD (assuming funding is a non-issue)? I don't want to waste money on application fees.

In terms of just getting a place (i.e. not funded) then the odds are much better in the UK, generally. It's relatively easy to get accepted in the UK if you have solid past results and a sensible proposal. It's then very hard to get funding. In the US it's very hard to get in, but most places only accept you if they can fund you (though this varies a bit among disciplines - and there are some more vocational disciplines in the US where it's fairly easy to get in too, and where the funding is correspondingly less assured).
Reply 9
One more question, if you are doing a social science (except economics which I understand is quantitative anyway) course there, does your dissertation/thesis have to be quantitative (i.e. explained in terms of analysis of variance, regressions, statistics, etc)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending