The Student Room Group

How do people feel about Michael Gove removing American Literature from GCSEs?

Personally, I am outraged. Was just wondering what other people's feelings and thoughts were?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gem3012
Personally, I am outraged. Was just wondering what other people's feelings and thoughts were?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I too feel outraged! A classic is a classic whether British or not. The books replacing the American literature aren't even British classics... I heard Michael Gove was replacing them because he "didn't like" one of the books, if this is true then he's a feeble excuse for an education minister.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's not too big of an issue, I don't think. It makes people know more about our country. I think they should also change history so there is less of a focus on American history and more focus on Britain.
Original post by AppleBlossoms
I too feel outraged! A classic is a classic whether British or not. The books replacing the American literature aren't even British classics... I heard Michael Gove was replacing them because he "didn't like" one of the books, if this is true then he's a feeble excuse for an education minister.

Apparently he said he doesn't like Of Mice and Men because it's far too left-wing liberal. (That's what our history teacher told us ;l).
Original post by HappyHylian
Apparently he said he doesn't like Of Mice and Men because it's far too left-wing liberal. (That's what our history teacher told us ;l).

Still... people should be allowed to make up their own minds about it!
Of Mice and Men has been on the syllabus for years, I personally don't see the problem with replacing it with something else for a while.
Reply 6
Original post by Gem3012

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's not removing these books, he's simply no longer making them mandatory. As a result, schools will have more choice over which texts they choose.
Original post by Rakas21
He's not removing these books, he's simply no longer making them mandatory. As a result, schools will have more choice over which texts they choose.

not right.

1. They were never mandatory, so there's no change there.
2. He is making a lot of other stuff mandatory, such that the opportunity for choice beyond the prix-fixe menu is now much more limited: you can still choose Of Mice and Men or To Kill a Mockingbird, but cannot now choose both just because the syllabus is otherwise overstuffed with what has been deemed appropriate.
Reply 8
Original post by easyastau
It's not too big of an issue, I don't think. It makes people know more about our country. I think they should also change history so there is less of a focus on American history and more focus on Britain.

I understand what you are saying, however, I totally disagree. Why Gould it matter where you are from? If you're a good author and the literature you write is of a high standard, why should it matter whether you are British or not. And I'm fairly certain that the history taught is about Britain. I don't remember learning anything about American history...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gem3012
I understand what you are saying, however, I totally disagree. Why Gould it matter where you are from? If you're a good author and the literature you write is of a high standard, why should it matter whether you are British or not. And I'm fairly certain that the history taught is about Britain. I don't remember learning anything about American history...

Posted from TSR Mobile

The GCSE history I've done for the last 2 years is mostly American history.

I understand what you mean, I'm not saying that American authors are not at the same level as English authors, I love American literature.

But, for the English literature course I did- I studied Of Mice and Men and The Crucible- there were questions about context linking in with the society at the time. Personally, I think it would be more appropriate to learn about English society in the 19th and 20th centuries.

It just seems as if, with the current curriculum, we're being encouraged to take on American ways of life rather than embracing our British culture and history!

I don't disagree with what you're saying at all, but England has such a great history and it's important that we remember that!
Reply 10
The GCSE history I've done for the last 2 years is mostly American history.

I understand what you mean, I'm not saying that American authors are not at the same level as English authors, I love American literature.

But, for the English literature course I did- I studied Of Mice and Men and The Crucible- there were questions about context linking in with the society at the time. Personally, I think it would be more appropriate to learn about English society in the 19th and 20th centuries.

It just seems as if, with the current curriculum, we're being encouraged to take on American ways of life rather than embracing our British culture and history!

I don't disagree with what you're saying at all, but England has such a great history and it's important that we remember that!

I think it must be different for each exam board...

As a graduate with an English degree, I have read many books and studied both American and British authors. I understand you angst about cultural references within literature, but there is no harm in having knowledge about how things were in other countries.

I don't think we are being encouraged to take on American ways of life, just to have an understanding of the differences socially, culturally and historically.

At the end of the day, great literature is great literature, regardless of where and by whom it was written.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gem3012
I think it must be different for each exam board...

As a graduate with an English degree, I have read many books and studied both American and British authors. I understand you angst about cultural references within literature, but there is no harm in having knowledge about how things were in other countries.

I don't think we are being encouraged to take on American ways of life, just to have an understanding of the differences socially, culturally and historically.

At the end of the day, great literature is great literature, regardless of where and by whom it was written.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with you but I think, at GCSE level, it should be English authors and then students who want to continue can broaden their studies to American and others.
I agree with you but I think, at GCSE level, it should be English authors and then students who want to continue can broaden their studies to American and others.

why? English literature is literature written in the English language, not literature written by English people.

And you surely wouldn't object to Under Milk Wood or Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.
Original post by cambio wechsel
why? English literature is literature written in the English language, not literature written by English people.

And you surely wouldn't object to Under Milk Wood or Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

It's not the actual literature but the context we have to talk about!

Based purely on what I've learnt at school in the past 11 years, I have learnt very very little about British history and culture and that really annoys me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending