The Student Room Group

AQA Government & Politics Unit 3A: The Politics of the USA June 2014

I couldn't see any other thread devoted to AQA Politics and so I created this one. If anyone has any ideas of what questions we might expect to come up that would be great. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Unit 4A - Congress - Probably something to do with increased partisanship in Congress. In the past questions have tended to link with other areas of study within Unit 3A and this links with the Political Parties module.
Reply 3
Does anyone know if there is a trend with AQA questions? I want to do political parties but I hope it isn't on organisational structure
Original post by bpx
Does anyone know if there is a trend with AQA questions? I want to do political parties but I hope it isn't on organisational structure

Could come up. Looking at the past papers (although I haven't done a proper assessment yet) it seems that organisational structure and ideologies of the two parties or party decline tend to come up.

I'll be doing Political Parties and Pressure Groups.
BUMP.

Anyone actually doing this exam? Haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Endless Blue
BUMP.

Anyone actually doing this exam? Haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. I've been teaching myself and all I've got in terms of resources is the blue Hodder Education book, the Student Unit Guide and the Annual Update.

Is there enough information on pressure groups from these resources? I don't think there is and it is troubling me.

I'm probably going to do Voting Behaviour and Political Parties. In the political parties topic there is a small section on Neoliberalism and Neoconservatism. How does that link in? It seems more like something you'd see in The Executive topic of GOV4A?
Reply 7
Original post by Endless Blue
Could come up. Looking at the past papers (although I haven't done a proper assessment yet) it seems that organisational structure and ideologies of the two parties or party decline tend to come up.

I'll be doing Political Parties and Pressure Groups.

I'll be doing political parties and pressure groups also, the complete opposite of what my teacher taught us (he taught us voting behaviour and electoral system). Gamble
Reply 8
Although I'm fairly confident about political parties now, I did two past papers, one on ideology (differences within and between) and one on their organisational structure, and I got two A*s 🙊
I'm hoping third parties will come up for the political parties question, as it's quite straight forward.. What did you get at AS?
Also What topics you planning to do for the 4A exam?
Original post by Google_Sup
I'm hoping third parties will come up for the political parties question, as it's quite straight forward.. What did you get at AS?

Yeah same here, looking at the last couple of years something on the party system could come up.

I got an A (95 on both papers). Yourself?

And for unit 4A I'm doing Constitution and Executive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got two A's (87 and 85)
What do you think the likelihood of a federal bureaucracy question coming up for executive? Because our school didn't teach it and I'm freaking out..
I'm guessing you'll be aiming for an A*? Any tips?
I got two A's (87 and 85)
What do you think the likelihood of a federal bureaucracy question coming up for executive? Because our school didn't teach it and I'm freaking out..
I'm guessing you'll be aiming for an A*? Any tips?

I think federal bureaucracy could well come up for the 10 marker, or possibly something on EXOP, so I would suggest making some notes from your textbook just in case!

Yep, I pretty much need the A* for my Firm choice. As for tips, make sure you've got your essay structure sorted first of all. Otherwise not much besides high level analysis etc and lots of good examples to illustrate your points.

Looking at the examiner reports two key themes are:

1. Ensure you answer the Q directly rather than regurgitating planned essays
2. Use uk comparisons sparingly, and to illustrate points. Eg contrast Federalism and UK's unitary system.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you very much! I wish you the best with your exams.
Hopeful no federal bureaucracy 30 marker..
maybe a question on congressional committees?
Thank you very much! I wish you the best with your exams.
Hopeful no federal bureaucracy 30 marker..
maybe a question on congressional committees?

Thanks, you too.

I doubt it for 30 marks but it could happen (very unlikely). Congressional committees must be part of Congress so I'm not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Going to be doing this exam! Elections and Political parties. Prefer the A2 to the AS year, aiming for an A in both units hopefully.
Reply 17
I'm doing Unit 3A, Voting Behaviour & Direct Democracy. In voting behaviour, abstention might come up and in direct democracy, it will probably be campaign finance.
Reply 18
Original post by khansk12
I'm doing Unit 3A, Voting Behaviour & Direct Democracy. In voting behaviour, abstention might come up and in direct democracy, it will probably be campaign finance.

I am also doing those topics :smile: I love voter abstention but not so keen on Campaign finance
Reply 19
What do you reckon will come up?

Quick Reply

Latest