The Student Room Group

A-Level Environmental Studies exams 2nd and 4th June

Scroll to see replies

when did environmental studies become an A level?
Original post by bubbelz
It briefly said about one fish, maybe for the deoxygenation graph thingy?

Oh that stuff, I said aquatic organisms instead.
Original post by EmilyStrange13
It was okay and I liked the essay question on recycling but there were some really weird questions on that paper. I really didn't like the question that said we had to use the figures and I think I put the wrong stats test down >.> also for the standardised soil question I was so confused and put that samples should have been collected at set intervals ugh. I did like the paper but I don't know whether I've done well enough for a good grade. What essay question did you do?

yeah i think it was ok... not 100% sure how i did, its pretty hard to tell. yeah the figures one I'm pretty sure i messed up! i put down T-Test... not sure if that was right>! ah that soil one was weird... yeah i said that and i also said about the same depth and stuff.. some of the questions were pretty straight forward i think but some were just nasty.. don't think I've done as well as i would have hoped, feel like a wasted loads of revision because there wasn't much non renewable stuff in there :frown: ah i chose the recycling one but I'm pretty sure i just repeated myself, just talked about land fill, mining, habitat loss etc... :/t
Original post by propagation
That stuff is usually on the mark scheme haha.
It was a weird exam, but not full on nasty.
Which essay did you go for?

I went for the essay on recycling and enjoyed it quite a bit actually haha. Although I'm not sure whether I sounded a little repetitive and I may have drifted from the question in some parts. How about you?
Original post by JammyGit07
I ended up putting down T-test, the soil question was strange, just put so that were would be enough sites tested in the small area to have a representative sample and be able to carry out a stats test :?

And which question are you referring to about having to use figures? The solar power question?

Me too! I agree, I was not prepared for anything on stats or practical skills so I was really annoyed when I saw that question. T.T oh the question with the graphs and it said to use the graphs or figures which is what was written on the paper to answer why the government would give subsidies to the photovoltaic industry. I don't think I did so well on that question cause it's one of the ones I did last.
Original post by tamararosa
yeah i think it was ok... not 100% sure how i did, its pretty hard to tell. yeah the figures one I'm pretty sure i messed up! i put down T-Test... not sure if that was right>! ah that soil one was weird... yeah i said that and i also said about the same depth and stuff.. some of the questions were pretty straight forward i think but some were just nasty.. don't think I've done as well as i would have hoped, feel like a wasted loads of revision because there wasn't much non renewable stuff in there :frown: ah i chose the recycling one but I'm pretty sure i just repeated myself, just talked about land fill, mining, habitat loss etc... :/t

Me neither, I kinda have mixed feelings on the grade I may have gotten cause I've looked through the textbook and have found that quite a few of my answers were right. But equally I know there were questions I got wrong too as I rushed them towards the end. I put the T test too and I spent ages thinking of whether to put the T test as I hadn't revised statistics at all! I feel my revision was pretty much wasted too. I was thinking that I may have been a little repetitive too and think I drifted away from the question in some parts. I put about landfill, mining and habitat loss too! Let's hope the Unit 4 exam is better and not weird like the one today although I'm worrying that it may be really difficult despite the fact that I enjoy it more.
I went for the essay on recycling and enjoyed it quite a bit actually haha. Although I'm not sure whether I sounded a little repetitive and I may have drifted from the question in some parts. How about you?

I went for C the one about house design for keeping stable temperatures.
I went for C the one about house design for keeping stable temperatures.

Oh okay, I was considering going for that question but I felt I had more to say for the recycling question. What did you include for that question? Also, what did you write for that question on standard deviation for the lead matter in plant species?
Oh okay, I was considering going for that question but I felt I had more to say for the recycling question. What did you include for that question? Also, what did you write for that question on standard deviation for the lead matter in plant species?

I was going to go for yours and talk about landfill, incineration and the waste hierarchy and all that and how recycling is at the top and landfill at the bottom.
I wrote a detailed essay on Double glazing (idea of south facing included), loft and cavity insulation and Heat exchangers.
Standard deviation shows the spread/deviation from the mean.
I was going to go for yours and talk about landfill, incineration and the waste hierarchy and all that and how recycling is at the top and landfill at the bottom.
I wrote a detailed essay on Double glazing (idea of south facing included), loft and cavity insulation and Heat exchangers.
Standard deviation shows the spread/deviation from the mean.

Oh okay, the points you listed are the ones I had in my essay. If I had gone for the essay you had done I would have spoke about double glazing and loft insulation but I don't know what else I could have included as I hadn't liked the technical parts of the topic very much. So is standard deviation showing a difference in results from the mean? I remember saying there was a difference between the two results but I had no mention of the mean. >.>
Original post by sipperz
I noticed there isn't a forum for this yet, so i thought I'd create one so we can ask each other things that we don't understand or what we think might come up :smile:
What maths questions does everyone think will come up this year, as they seem to be asking more maths than usual recently?!

There isn't a forum for this because any A Level that has "studies" in it, is invalid and should be put in the GCSE threads.
Oh okay, the points you listed are the ones I had in my essay. If I had gone for the essay you had done I would have spoke about double glazing and loft insulation but I don't know what else I could have included as I hadn't liked the technical parts of the topic very much. So is standard deviation showing a difference in results from the mean? I remember saying there was a difference between the two results but I had no mention of the mean. >.>

Ahh that's good! :biggrin:
I like the technical parts, but the ones more linked with pollution though.
Difference is fine, but you had to say from the mean as that's the main factor for the relationship. Which helps in terms of overlap of standard error bars and therefore whether the results are significant or not for each plant.
Original post by Darkwarrior23
There isn't a forum for this because any A Level that has "studies" in it, is invalid and should be put in the GCSE threads.

What are you talking about?
What are you talking about?

Is environmental studies like a fake A level geography for special students? :smile:
Is environmental studies like a fake A level geography for special students? :smile:

No you f*cking ignorant idiot.
It's actually probably more complex than geography as it incorporates Chemistry, Biology and Physics. For example the pollution section has a lot of chemistry and Physics in it.
It's actually probably more complex than geography as it incorporates Chemistry, Biology and Physics. For example the pollution section has a lot of chemistry and Physics in it.

Ignore he he's just a troll looking for a reaction. Environmental studies (used to be called science) was and still is a science A level. The only reason it's now called studies is because they have taken out the coursework unit. This is the perfect A level for any student wishing to pursue an earth science or environmental science degree and incorporates aspects that many other traditional A levels like geography and chemistry don't. Chin up guys, this is not all in vain :smile:

Oh god, this should be fun.. Do enlighten me on what you consider an "A-level subject"

I'm pretty sure a subject that incorporates the term "studies" will not be more complex then geography so stop with your bias opinion
Original post by behindblueglass
Ignore he he's just a troll looking for a reaction. Environmental studies (used to be called science) was and still is a science A level. The only reason it's now called studies is because they have taken out the coursework unit. This is the perfect A level for any student wishing to pursue an earth science or environmental science degree and incorporates aspects that many other traditional A levels like geography and chemistry don't. Chin up guys, this is not all in vain :smile:

I have just been looking at his post and he thinks he his better than everyone because he does bio and chem, the funny thing is in my AS level for Bio and chem I got A's, might be higher than what he gets. And I actually find this course challenging sometimes.

Reasons it's called studies is because it also incorporates economics and other disciplines together. Which makes it very valuable as you can bring together and apply many different disciplines to one scenario and it makes the student very analytical a very high level skill.
Original post by JammyGit07
Oh god, this should be fun.. Do enlighten me on what you consider an "A-level subject"

A subject that doesn't contain the word "studies"... but tbh as long as you want to join green peace after year 13 then go ahead with this fake geography course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending