The Student Room Group
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath

Bath Spa or Oxford Brookes?

I'm having a hard time deciding between Bath Spa and Oxford Brookes, to study English. They're both good for different reasons; Bath has a great, homely, community atmosphere but Brookes seems to have the better course. If people from these universities could tell me the best and worst bits that'd be so helpful! :smile:
Original post by rachael___
I'm having a hard time deciding between Bath Spa and Oxford Brookes, to study English. They're both good for different reasons; Bath has a great, homely, community atmosphere but Brookes seems to have the better course. If people from these universities could tell me the best and worst bits that'd be so helpful! :smile:

Neither are good unis....:confused:
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath
Go for Brookes, its doing good in the league table I think and the city is much livelier than Bath. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by honeyandlemon
Neither are good unis....:confused:

Both actually perform quite well in league tables given their age, and actually they're nice places to be. Also with BBB predicted grades and wanting to study a competitive academic subject like English there isn't much chance of getting into RGs haha.
Both actually perform quite well in league tables given their age, and actually they're nice places to be. Also with BBB predicted grades and wanting to study a competitive academic subject like English there isn't much chance of getting into RGs haha.

This is why I did a JH english degree :biggrin:
Reply 5
This is why I did a JH english degree :biggrin:

Yeah, I've got an offer from Kent for Comparative Lit with English Lit, but I didn't like the uni so much :/ also I found a lot of JH courses still had high entry requirements :s-smilie:
Yeah, I've got an offer from Kent for Comparative Lit with English Lit, but I didn't like the uni so much :/ also I found a lot of JH courses still had high entry requirements :s-smilie:

I applied in 2009 so I think it was even more competitive when I applied.

It was a shame cos I had an A in English Lit, full marks on two of the papers but I didn't have the other grades so I couldn't apply to a really good uni for a straight course.

I'm from Kent and it's quite a sleepy town to be honest. What about Reading Uni?
Reply 7
What about Reading Uni?

I just looked and they do have some interesting JH courses with lower requirements. I'm not sure I'd want to commit myself to a second subject I wasn't entirely interested in just to go to a better uni though! Too late for this year now anyway…

Hey, English at Bath Spa is brilliant! I've just finished my first year. The tutors are really helpful, everyone is friendly, and the work is enlightening. I studied it as a joint with Creative Writing and am switching to major in English next year. The module choices are great too and the way you are assessed is varied too! Have you been to an open day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by SanTarenTino
Hey, English at Bath Spa is brilliant! I've just finished my first year. The tutors are really helpful, everyone is friendly, and the work is enlightening. I studied it as a joint with Creative Writing and am switching to major in English next year. The module choices are great too and the way you are assessed is varied too! Have you been to an open day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for replying! I firmed Bath Spa in the end, I'd heard so many great things! I went to an open day and an applicants day and was really impressed both times, got a real sense of a homely, community environment and the tutors seemed great! Hopefully it was the right choice, just need to get the grades now!
Thank you for replying! I firmed Bath Spa in the end, I'd heard so many great things! I went to an open day and an applicants day and was really impressed both times, got a real sense of a homely, community environment and the tutors seemed great! Hopefully it was the right choice, just need to get the grades now!

It really is all of those things and more. You won't regret it! (And good luck with your exams etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending