The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ritter
He's a world class player, and it showed wit his goal tally last year. If he's fit he'll be the difference between an average side and a good one. Players like Smalling and Jones will have nightmares about him.

His fitness is the only thing stopping him, not his goal tally in the final few games of the season.

It was not his goal tally, it was his performances, he was actually being carried by the rest of the team. Watch a game back if you don't believe me, he wasn't performing like he had been (I have heard this is because he was injured which the surgery could fix so it could be that.)
I agree that Smalling and Jones would have nightmares against most strikers if they ever play like they did today again. Luckily they won't be anywhere near the actual team although Johnson does worry me a bit. Cahill is a fantastic defender and Jagielka can do a job untill someone better comes along.
Hoping that the Ox is not injured too badly, he is key to England's world cup. One of the few players in the squad that can make something happen by himself. If England do need to replace him, god knows who Hodgson will choose. He'll probably resort to flipping a coin for Cleverly or Carrick.

If it's not a serious injury and he only misses a week or two, I would definitely still take him in the squad.
(edited 9 years ago)
Barkley’s a luxury player and I don’t think we’re good enough to afford those.

He goes missing for massive periods of matches and will have a bad game to every one of his good ones. Offers little defensively as well. 6 years and it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s the best player in the country, but for now…bench option for me. Take the risks out wide.
If England qualify top of their group I will officially request to change my TSR name to 'the all mighty 3 lions'. You heard it here first
Original post by Jordooooom
If England qualify top of their group I will officially request to change my TSR name to 'the all mighty 3 lions'. You heard it here first

Why are you such a bitter person?

I'm Welsh, and banter is great especially as i live in England and all but you just seem to have a complete hatred for England.

In fact i worry because as time goes on the more i don't mind so much about England and how they do. Maybe it's my time in England but i don't feel the need to wind up my English friends so much now and actually enjoyed seeing England score today. That said, Rugby is different, but that's maybe because Wales are competitive there :wink:
Original post by Gob Bluth
Why are you such a bitter person?

I'm Welsh, and banter is great especially as i live in England and all but you just seem to have a complete hatred for England.

In fact i worry because as time goes on the more i don't mind so much about England and how they do. Maybe it's my time in England but i don't feel the need to wind up my English friends so much now and actually enjoyed seeing England score today. That said, Rugby is different, but that's maybe because Wales are competitive there :wink:

Literally no one cares about rugby. The only reason you like England is because their white strip reminds you of a nice fit sheep
Literally no one cares about rugby. The only reason you like England is because their white strip reminds you of a nice fit sheep

So i'm assuming you're still in the lower years of secondary school there from the quality of that, probably the worst reply i have ever had tbh.

In fact on ignore you go, judging from your posts no one's missing anything :wink:
Original post by Gob Bluth
So i'm assuming you're still in the lower years of secondary school there from the quality of that, probably the worst reply i have ever had tbh.

In fact on ignore you go, judging from your posts no one's missing anything :wink:

Ooh someone's hard to please :lol:

You've been indoctrinated by their system. You aren't becoming more accepting of the England national team, you are suffering from STOCKHOLM SYNDROME
Roy singles out Barkley for criticism, despite being the best player on the pitch? Good one Roy.
Ooh someone's hard to please :lol:

You've been indoctrinated by their system. You aren't becoming more accepting of the England national team, you are suffering from STOCKHOLM SYNDROME

When a Welshman sticks up for England there's something very funny going on. You have a pathological hatred of England but why should anybody be surprised? Scotland haven't competed in an international tournament for 16 years whereas in the same time England have failed to qualify only once.

Things do look brighter under Gordon Strachan, but they couldn't have been any worse under Levein who was a very easy act to follow. While you're slagging off England you might want to take a look at how many of the Scottish national team ply their trade in England. In the starting XI for the Nigeria game there were 8.

McGregor (Hull)
Hutton (Aston Villa)
Greer (Brighton)
Hanley (Blackburn)
Robertson (Dundee Utd)
Brown (Celtic)
Morrison (WBA)
Mulgrew (Celtic)
Anya (Watford)
Maloney (Wigan)
Naismith (Everton)

4 of this team are Championship players for heavens' sake.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Midlander
When a Welshman sticks up for England there's something very funny going on. You have a pathological hatred of England but why should anybody be surprised? Scotland haven't competed in an international tournament for 16 years whereas in the same time England have failed to qualify only once.

Things do look brighter under Gordon Strachan, but they couldn't have been any worse under Levein who was a very easy act to follow. While you're slagging off England you might want to take a look at how many of the Scottish national team ply their trade in England. In the starting XI for the Nigeria game there were 8.

McGregor (Hull)
Hutton (Aston Villa)
Greer (Brighton)
Hanley (Blackburn)
Robertson (Dundee Utd)
Brown (Celtic)
Morrison (WBA)
Mulgrew (Celtic)
Anya (Watford)
Maloney (Wigan)
Naismith (Everton)

4 of this team are Championship players for heavens' sake.

Im really not sure what point you're trying to make here??
Im really not sure what point you're trying to make here??

Several.

1. A higher standard of football is played in England than Scotland as evidenced by the high proportion of Scotland regulars playing in the English leagues. Of the present WC squad only Forster plays in Scotland and he is nowhere near first choice.

2. The English national team comprises of nobody playing below the top flight whereas the Scottish one does-on that basis the former is of higher quality.

You ignore FIFA rankings and tournament qualification so maybe this will open your eyes a bit.
Several.

1. A higher standard of football is played in England than Scotland as evidenced by the high proportion of Scotland regulars playing in the English leagues. Of the present WC squad only Forster plays in Scotland and he is nowhere near first choice.

2. The English national team comprises of nobody playing below the top flight whereas the Scottish one does-on that basis the former is of higher quality.

You ignore FIFA rankings and tournament qualification so maybe this will open your eyes a bit.

1. Well no ****, most countries have a higher standard of football than Scotland

2. Yes, the english top flight. Which actually goes to show that having one of the best leagues in the world doesn't necessarily mean you'll have one of the best national teams. Brazil, Portugal, Argentina are all better than England and have much poorer leagues.

3. Having top flight players doesn't necessarily mean you'll be the best. France have a great squad and they are piss poor.
1. Well no ****, most countries have a higher standard of football than Scotland

2. Yes, the english top flight. Which actually goes to show that having one of the best leagues in the world doesn't necessarily mean you'll have one of the best national teams. Brazil, Portugal, Argentina are all better than England and have much poorer leagues.

3. Having top flight players doesn't necessarily mean you'll be the best. France have a great squad and they are piss poor.

There we go, at last you see that English football is better than Scottish football. Case closed, good night Vienna (or should that be Edinburgh).
There we go, at last you see that English football is better than Scottish football. Case closed, good night Vienna (or should that be Edinburgh).

:biggrin:

Are you genuinely stupid? I said their league was better, not the national team in case you can't read :lol:
Are you genuinely stupid? I said their league was better, not the national team in case you can't read :lol:

All the evidence shows the national team is better

Just give up :facepalm2:

Point 1: 'Well no ****, most countries have a better standard of football than Scotland'

Case closed. I expect you to qualify for Euro 2016, although with record numbers of teams being admitted it would be some achievement not to.
Point 1: 'Well no ****, most countries have a better standard of football than Scotland'

Case closed. I expect you to qualify for Euro 2016, although with record numbers of teams being admitted it would be some achievement not to.

Clearly referring to Scottish football. Why would I claim most countries are better than the Scotland team when they are currently 2 off the top 20? You should try using logic some time :smile:
Clearly referring to Scottish football. Why would I claim most countries are better than the Scotland team when they are currently 2 off the top 20? You should try using logic some time :smile:

So FIFA rankings are bogus and credible at the same time? Scottish football is responsible for producing Scottish players who play for Scotland. You're the one saying it's worse than most other countries, not up to me to explain it. I'm going to sleep-to dream about fabulous moments like this:

[video="youtube;t8OlfG1dF3w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8OlfG1dF3w[/video]

Which do you prefer, Seaman's save or Gascoigne's exquisite finish?

Latest