The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Manchester United
Yeah okay, I guess he just kept back-heeling the ball and hoped that someone was running onto it. He didn't anticipate a run and direct the ball in a disguised way.

14 assists in 41 Apps in La Liga/Champions League this season. That Ronaldo guy is a lucky player!

How many of those 14 were 5 metre side passes?
Original post by Jordooooom
How many of those 14 were 5 metre side passes?

All of them. He isn't capable of producing any good passes. After all, he's a 'mediocre passer' right?
All of them. He isn't capable of producing any good passes. After all, he's a 'mediocre passer' right?

Passing the ball, he does some really exceptional things, a lot of decent things, and a lot of poor things. Averaging them out he is mediocre. That's what the eye test and the stats say.

I used to think messi stans were the most annoying but it's definitely Ronaldo stans now smh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where did I say that? I'm just saying it's not very special.. Most players could occasionally do that but they don't get the same exposure as ronaldo

No they couldn't. Don't understand why you're arguing Ronaldo is not a special player but k then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pique_LOL
No they couldn't. Don't understand why you're arguing Ronaldo is not a special player but k then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ronaldo is a special player and he sometimes makes spectacular passes. He just isn't a good passer most of the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope he rarely is.

Watch this video of all his la liga assists this season...
[video="youtube;HIUEq_hHuTg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIUEq_hHuTg[/video]

Near enough every single one is an easy side/back pass, except of course the one where just controlled it badly and someone got their first and when the ****ed up a bicycle kick :rofl: hilarious stuff
His overall all around passing is not particularly good and I don't think would have the discipline to play at cm. Like I said he is a fantastic player, who starting out wide and coming inside is brilliant.

I didn't bother watching the YouTube video. When I watch the games, he has a million shots and when he does decide to pass to someone he isn't particularly good at it.

Did anbody hear of the Ghanaian witch doctor claiming he had caused the injury to Ronaldo and his power is very strong and will cause him to miss the WC?

Some serious juju....:lolwut:
Reply 5587
Original post by Icecream1

Did anbody hear of the Ghanaian witch doctor claiming he had caused the injury to Ronaldo and his power is very strong and will cause him to miss the WC?

Some serious juju....:lolwut:

What really jinxed him was something in this thread:

Original post by Kenan and Kel
I don't mind Real winning the lot as long as Ronaldo gets injured and Bale fires home all the big winners. Not that I mean any harm on Ronaldo.

Looking like Nostradamus now :holmes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Nope he rarely is.

Watch this video of all his la liga assists this season...
[video="youtube;HIUEq_hHuTg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIUEq_hHuTg[/video]

Near enough every single one is an easy side/back pass, except of course the one where just controlled it badly and someone got their first and when the ****ed up a bicycle kick :rofl: hilarious stuff

I think you're forgetting that Ronaldo is a winger/striker. Of course his assists are mostly going to be side/back passes (not that they're bad) because he is usually the furthest one forward, or on the wing (in which case a forward pass wouldn't probably yield an assist).

I think you're trying to compare his assists to the assists of a CAM. Remember, a CAM would usually be in the center and have a player making a direct run in-front of them. Hence, their assist would be a forward through-ball/chip/etc most likely.

Unfortunately common sense has let you down on that post.
Original post by qua
^ What really jinxed him was something in this thread:

In the article it says he had some leaves around his photo and has jinxed him.

The way Ronaldo celebrated the penalty in the CL final after the game was won and he had a poor night, imagine if Ronaldo had scored the winners in the final!

Bale has had a fantastic debut season, getting the important goals in the finals and overall has played quite well and all of this achieved without a pre season and in new country. It's just a shame we won't see him at the WC.
Arg-Trinadad and Tobago

2-0 at the moment, the second goal was from Mascherano after a Messi freekick hit the post and he hit in the rebound.

The guy has been at Barca for 4 years and still hasn't scored! :tongue:
Original post by qua
What really jinxed him was something in this thread:

I wanted him injured for the finals with Real Madrid. Not for the World Cup. That's just cruel!
I wanted him injured for the finals with Real Madrid. Not for the World Cup. That's just cruel!

He was injured for the CL final though, well he played like he was anyway.

It's a shame he's going to win the Balon D'or again this year :rolleyes:

Just because Messi has dropped in form, it's not even like Ronaldo has improved from his normal level, Messi has basically dropped in form. Anyway do you think Ribery will get the balon d'or this year? :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
He was injured for the CL final though, well he played like he was anyway.

It's a shame he's going to win the Balon D'or again this year :rolleyes:

Just because Messi has dropped in form, it's not even like Ronaldo has improved from his normal level, Messi has basically dropped in form. Anyway do you think Ribery will get the balon d'or this year? :lol:

Yeah but him playing and then scoring (and of course milking the celebration) ruined it for me. If Courtois had saved his penalty, that would have been great. If he saved then penalty and Bale knocked in the rebound, that would have been even better.

Yeah the Ballon D'or is his, unless Spain (Ramos), Uruguay or Argentina win the World Cup. I'd like to see Ramos win it personally, not because he's a great defender or anything but he is a genuine hero amongst men - he has a chance if Spain make the final.

It's funny that we acknowledge Messi wins the Ballon D'or because he's the best. But when Ronaldo wins it, it's because Messi's playing a bit crap.
Reply 5594
The BdO will be decided by performances in October/November and the WC. Usually it's World Cup > CL, so it should weigh in the voting more. Perhaps the fact that it's "la décima" will make a difference but we'll see.

Doubt CR is the absolute favourite atm though, the media hyped Ramos/Di María and not him as the décima heroes and called them BdO contenders, while he got a lot of stick for his performance/celebration in the final. The injures could be a problem as well. His chances are better than Messi's right now,but it's relatively open I think. He's definitely going to win the UEFA award though, CL record and everything.

Anyway, Messi looked very sharp for Argentina yesterday. Playing better for Argentina than for Barça now, who would have thought that 3 years ago? Martino really didn't know how to use/capitalise on him properly. Hopefully Lucho does. If more goes through the midfield and not the wings again, he will naturally thrive again as well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah but him playing and then scoring (and of course milking the celebration) ruined it for me. If Courtois had saved his penalty, that would have been great. If he saved then penalty and Bale knocked in the rebound, that would have been even better.

Yeah the Ballon D'or is his, unless Spain (Ramos), Uruguay or Argentina win the World Cup. I'd like to see Ramos win it personally, not because he's a great defender or anything but he is a genuine hero amongst men - he has a chance if Spain make the final.

It's funny that we acknowledge Messi wins the Ballon D'or because he's the best. But when Ronaldo wins it, it's because Messi's playing a bit crap.

The only things that can stop Ronaldo winning the Ballon d'Or again is;

1 - Argentina winning the World Cup and Messi scoring 4+ goals.
2 - Uruguay winning the World Cup and Suarez scoring 4+ goals.
3 - Ronaldo plays awful/injured for the 2014/15 season.

I think Argentina will win the World Cup and Messi will obliterate the tournament. He could/should easily get 5+ goals from the group-stages. So I'm predicting a 5th Ballon d'Or for Messi :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
The only things that can stop Ronaldo winning the Ballon d'Or again is;

1 - Argentina winning the World Cup and Messi scoring 4+ goals.
2 - Uruguay winning the World Cup and Suarez scoring 4+ goals.
3 - Ronaldo plays awful/injured for the 2014/15 season.

I think Argentina will win the World Cup and Messi will obliterate the tournament. He could/should easily get 5+ goals from the group-stages. So I'm predicting a 5th Ballon d'Or for Messi :tongue:

Yeah this essentially.

I disagree about the voting being only made in october. The world cup also determines a lot.
Original post by jam278
Yeah this essentially.

I disagree about the voting being only made in october. The world cup also determines a lot.

Although it would be very interesting if it was Argentina/Uruguay vs Portugal in the final and Argentina/Uruguay won.

Who would get the Ballon d'Or then?
Although it would be very interesting if it was Argentina/Uruguay vs Portugal in the final and Argentina/Uruguay won.

Who would get the Ballon d'Or then?

Would probably be a draw at that point, would have to rely on the start of the season.

It's definitely a 3 horse race though. Luckily it's WC year so one or two more people can put their names into the mix. Dunno why people were talking Ibra before.

Wonder what would happen if Cavani gets golden boot and Uruguay win it.
My unbiased bet is on Hazard winning it and leading Belgium to world cup glory...
If Messi, Ronaldo or Suarez leads their respective team to the World Cup final and wins it that person has basically got their hand on the Ballon D'or.

Latest