The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
Original post by Ritter
I always got the impression they took very well to Nadal. I know they're also very keen on Federer too, but didn't think this affected their opinions on Nadal. I think the 'anti-tennis' remark and the incidents surrounding the Soderling match sum the French up though. Not the most respectful of supporters. Having said that, at any tournament (and Wimbledon is really really bad for this) a large percentage of those around the courts are day-trippers, and not real tennis fans.

I'd take Federer over Nadal anyday too, but I'd imagine the crowd will be mainly in support of Nadal, it'll also depend a lot on the direction in which the match goes as well.

Absolutely, the seasonal tennis fans are the worst.
We'll see how the crowd conduct themselves on Friday - Andy dealt with them well today by pulling out the win, hopefully he can do the same then and make it a competitive and interesting match.
Reply 881
Original post by Rakas21
While part of me does want Djokovic to win i think that Nadal has a psychological edge in the later stages of the FO, he just feels comfortable and that's especially because he faces the same players. If he's going to be beaten at the FO it will be a shock from somebody unexpected that takes advantage of his slow starts. Once he's beaten once we'll see him much less secure even in the final stages though.

Nadal at the French is a bit like Shumacher in F1 or Blair in politics. People like a winner and so in the early days he probably had the neutrals but after a string of wins you start getting apathy. This coupled with the fact that Federer has that persona and beauty to his game mean that Nadal has become the villain.

He won't be hated deep down, he's just not popular for winning all the time.

Plus he's very culturally appealing to them - he speaks fluent French, he understands them and they understand him/his mannerisms. Djokovic is doing a good job of gaining favour with the crowd too by speaking more French and trying to conduct himself appropriately on court (offering ball boys a seat, etc.) - he's thinking ahead IMO. Could serve him well in the final.
Another: Rafa in 2005 and 2006 did his final speeches in Spanish - one year after beating Fed, his translator screwed up when explaining his words in French and the crowd thought he was being arrogant (when he did nothing of the kind).

But that's probably enough time used up dissecting the crowd - the tennis is more important
I missed both matches today, watching the Nadal-Ferrer match right now on Eurosport catchup. Wasn't impressed that much the way he won today. He was being dictated too far too much by Ferrer, and defending too often. Still he did what needed to be done to win. Really looking forward to Rafa's first match against Murray in a slam for a long time.
Reply 883
Rafa the Humble Villain?.... hahahh made my day:wink:
hopefully Nadal-Murray is a good match, Andy has done really well to make it to the semi's given how much he's struggled at times this year (and even in this tournament)
The French Open crowd is the best in the world.
Reply 886
Apparently Marion Bartoli is joining the BBC commentary team for Wimbledon this year as well as Laura Robson. Pleased about Bartoli she's been pretty good for ITV, especially with her honesty and lack of sugar coating. Not really sure what Laura will offer.

Sadly Andrew Castle and John Inverdale will still be present...
Original post by Kado
Apparently Marion Bartoli is joining the BBC commentary team for Wimbledon this year as well as Laura Robson. Pleased about Bartoli she's been pretty good for ITV, especially with her honesty and lack of sugar coating. Not really sure what Laura will offer.

Bartoli needs to stop rambling on during open play and learn to only speak between points only. It's been frustrating listening to her whilst play is under way, but other than that she's a good appointment and will get better at commentating in time.

Laura is a player so she's knows Tennis more than the average viewer so will have a lot to add I imagine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kado

I thought the BBC had gotten rid of John Inverdale! :frown:
Original post by Roger1
Nadal got lucky today. Kei is a great player but unfortunately his injuries will always be a barrier for him to have much success at the highest level.

Seeing Ralph fist-pump like a madman after breaking back his injured opponent was truly a revolting sight. I don't know, I just hate injustices in sport and seeing the lesser player chew the trophy at the end of the tournament just leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth. What struck me about that match is that Ralph just didn't seem to be too concerned about the nature of his "victory". Sure, he offered some cheap affectations to Nishikori in the victory speech and on Twitter, but there was little about his on-court demeanour to betray the fact that he was taking advantage of a lame opponent. I guess he has made a career out of winning ugly though so one more undignified victory is not going to keep him awake at night. The end result seems to be the only thing that matters to him.

The worst thing about all of this is that, at the end of the day, the result will just go down in the records book as another one of Nadal's Master's 1000 titles, and short memories being as they are very few people will remember what happened in that match and just how lucky he got (yet again). If anything, some will just look at the scoreline and see this as further evidence of Nadal's "warrior spirit" and "bravery" on a clay court, and once againg a new Deus ex machina comes in to play perpetuate the myth that he is unbeatable on clay when healthy.
Sharapova could be on her way out if she doesn't impose herself on Bouchard in this second set.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 891
Original post by lizzy95
I thought the BBC had gotten rid of John Inverdale! :frown:

I did too, apparently he'll still be doing "Today at Wimbledon".

Gutted for Bouchard, but she's definitely got a bright future ahead of her. Wouldn't be surprised if she won a couple more tournaments this year.
Original post by Kado
I did too, apparently he'll still be doing "Today at Wimbledon".

Gutted for Bouchard, but she's definitely got a bright future ahead of her. Wouldn't be surprised if she won a couple more tournaments this year.

Yeah I was hoping for a Bouchard- Halep final because it'd be great to have a new GS winner in the women's game but I can definitely see Bouchard becoming a GS winner
Original post by lizzy95
Yeah I was hoping for a Bouchard- Halep final because it'd be great to have a new GS winner in the women's game but I can definitely see Bouchard becoming a GS winner

Halep is going to destroy Sharapova in the final so you'll get your wish (and mine too)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 894
C'mon Maria!
Reply 895
Sharapova vs Halep it is then on Saturday. Halep is playing well, but I'd still back Maria to close the deal. Sharapova in 3 for me.
Djokovic breaks for the second time to claim the first set 6-3. I really can't see Gulbis even taking a set in this match.

As for Nadal vs. Murray, I'm fully expecting Nadal to win, although I hope that Murray will improve upon his 2011 RG performance and least take a set.

Edit: Surprisingly little tension or drama in this match considering that it is a GS semi-final. The result pretty much feels like a foregone conclusion at the moment as there is nothing Gulbis can really do to hurt Djokovic.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 897
Djokovic is systematically taking apart the Gulbis game. He's getting most of the returns back in play and deep, he's winning the rallies, getting easy points on serve, and Gulbis is making quite a few errors by trying to force the play. Looks like it'll be a comfortable victory.
Reply 898
Original post by Krish4791
Djokovic is systematically taking apart the Gulbis game. He's getting most of the returns back in play and deep, he's winning the rallies, getting easy points on serve, and Gulbis is making quite a few errors by trying to force the play. Looks like it'll be a comfortable victory.

Meanwhile Nadal will struggle with Murray and then crumble at the hands of Nole. It's going to be game over if Djokovic wins first set against Nadal.
Original post by ubi1
Meanwhile Nadal will struggle with Murray and then crumble at the hands of Nole. It's going to be game over if Djokovic wins first set against Nadal.

Assuming that Rafa and Nole make the final I think the 1st set would be more important for Nole to win than Nadal just to give him momentum going forward

Quick Reply

Latest