The Student Room Group

Why are straight guys so reluctant/shy to say that another guy is attractive?

Like seriously though. A straight girl can appreciate another girl's attractiveness. I can look at a girl and think "yep, she's hot". That doesn't make me any less straight. When ever I ask a straight lad if he thinks a male celeb is hot, the response goes like this: "how should i know? i ain't gay". YOU DON'T NEED TO BE GAY TO APPRECIATE SOMEONE OF THE SAME SEX'S BEAUTY. All you need is eyes.

Guys, why don't you appreciate other guys' hotness?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I always do. I personally think that Brad Pitt in Troy is the pinnacle of manliness. Most guys are just uncomfortable with their sexuality/repressed gays and that's why they won't admit it.
Reply 2
Original post by Jebedee
I always do. I personally think that Brad Pitt in Troy is the pinnacle of manliness. Most guys are just uncomfortable with their sexuality/repressed gays and that's why they won't admit it.

You genuinely are the first male who I've come across who can openly admit that they find another male attractive. Nice one for being comfortable with yourself!!
Much in the same way I'm not too keen on saying girls are attractive, the second you suggest someone is attractive, you obviously want to have sex with them. The joys of teenage maturity in most males.
Reply 4
Original post by andrew2209
Much in the same way I'm not too keen on saying girls are attractive, the second you suggest someone is attractive, you obviously want to have sex with them. The joys of teenage maturity in most males.

Suggesting someone is attractive doesn't mean that you want to have sex with them. You just meerly find them aesthetically pleasing. Easy on the eyes. Nice to look at. Not "I want to have intercourse with this person who I think is attractive".
Reply 5
I can obviously tell the difference between a good looking man and one who's **** ugly. It certainly isn't a sign of being gay to admit that another man is good looking, not the least!
Original post by Anonymous
Like seriously though. A straight girl can appreciate another girl's attractiveness. I can look at a girl and think "yep, she's hot". That doesn't make me any less straight. When ever I ask a straight lad if he thinks a male celeb is hot, the response goes like this: "how should i know? i ain't gay". YOU DON'T NEED TO BE GAY TO APPRECIATE SOMEONE OF THE SAME SEX'S BEAUTY. All you need is eyes.

Not sure about other guys but I personally cannot tell if another guy is attractive or not. To me while all guys look different, they also look equally bland. On the other hand I can easily identify and differentiate beauty in the opposite sex.
Reply 7
Original post by desiuntrun
Because it's gay...

So if a straight girl tells another girl she looks hot that makes her a lesbian? No, it doesn't. And it doesn't make a straight guy gay if he thinks another guy is good looking.
Original post by Anonymous

:rofl:

LOL
Reply 9
Original post by Jebedee
Yeah. It's the whole 'no homo' thing. Gets on my manly tits.
I'm straight but happily say when I think another guy is attractive. I think the reason someone wouldn't is the repression of emotion. Unfortunately the phrase "cus its gay" and "thats so gay" are still around....sigh
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
Not sure about other guys but I personally cannot tell if another guy is attractive or not. To me while all guys look different, they also look equally bland. On the other hand I can easily identify and differentiate beauty in the opposite sex.

I can understand you not telling if another guy is 'attractive' (there are some quite weird-looking guys who loads of women like - Benedict Cumberbatch being one )
But you're telling me that you can't tell a 'good-looking' guy from an 'ugly' one?

The faces of men and women still have the same parts and similar structure, after all. I just find that odd.
(edited 9 years ago)
we aint tryna ****kkkkkk
Original post by Anonymous Coward
I can understand you not telling if another guy is 'attractive' but you're telling me that you can't tell a good looking guy from an ugly one?

The faces of men and women still have the same parts and similar structure, after all. I just find that odd.

I can have a guess at what guys women might find attractive based on what they have told me about guys with similar facial features, but without their help, I have no idea. Many times I have thought girls would find a guy to be but ugly, only to find out that girls adore him. These instances help shape my understanding of what girls find attractive, but otherwise all guys look equally bland to me unless they have a specific deformity (e.g. bad teeth).
The only reason we can do so is because girls say people who look like someone are attractive. So therefore guys can look at a person, and if they have those features then they are attractive. However, inherently, we can't tell sh*t.
Original post by donutellme
The only reason we can do so is because girls say people who look like someone are attractive. So therefore guys can look at a person, and if they have those features then they are attractive. However, inherently, we can't tell sh*t.

Well said, this is the same as me.
Original post by Doctor_Einstein

Yep, I agree. If I had never been told what a good looking guy looks like, then I couldn't tell them apart. However, everyone always talks about it, so now we know what to look for. It's not that we find them attractive, it's that we attribute them to be attractive.
Original post by donutellme

So had women never told you any differently, you'd have Wayne Rooney as equally attractive as David Beckham?
Thankfully there is a great way to avoid accusations of homosexuality.

Original post by tengentoppa
Thankfully there is a great way to avoid accusations of homosexuality.

LOL!

Latest

Trending

Trending