Scroll to see replies

What the.... I wish I didn't see those diagrams. Now I'm confused :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DDan123
What the.... I wish I didn't see those diagrams. Now I'm confused :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry I've sorted it out :smile:
Mitosis:
1) dna separates and duplicates itself. It forms an 'x' shape with its 'twin dna strand'
2) the 'x's line up in the middle
3) the two arms get pulled to the opposite sides
4) at each side of the cell you have genetically identical material.
5) nucleus membrane forms around each of the two cells
6) they split
7) they have genetically identical chromosomes, 46 strands each

Meiosis:
1) DNA duplicates itself, forms an 'x'
2) DNA 'x' shapes with similar genes pair up. Some genes are swapped around (variation)
3) the pairs are pulled apart (one x from each pair goes to one side, one goes to the other)
4) this results in two cells
5) now in each of the two cells, the 'x' lines up in the middle
6) each arm of the 'x' is pulled apart, just like in Meitosis
7) now you get four individual cells
8) they each have 23 single chromosomes

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by superdarklord
Mitosis:
1) dna separates and duplicates itself. It forms an 'x' shape with its 'twin dna strand'
6) they split

Meiosis:
2) DNA 'x' shapes with similar genes pair up. Some genes are swapped around (variation)
3) the pairs are pulled apart (one x from each pair goes to one side, one goes to the other)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh thanks, I get it now :smile: urgh Bio is so much content it's annoying.
Original post by DDan123
Ohh thanks, I get it now :smile: urgh Bio is so much content it's annoying.

Pretty much, only took me like two tsr threads, four diagrams and two textbooks to explain this to my science class's whatsapp group :biggrin: :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
DOONE! I've finished my bio spec notes thing! I've noticed so many words in the spec are ones you must include in exams. Going through it really helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ToLiveInADream
DOONE! I've finished my bio spec notes thing! I've noticed so many words in the spec are ones you must include in exams. Going through it really helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where do you find this spec :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where do you find this spec :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/gcse-twenty-first-century-science-suite-biology-a-j243-from-2012/
Under 'key documents' is the specification for biology and scroll down the the B456 section :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ToLiveInADream
http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/gcse-twenty-first-century-science-suite-biology-a-j243-from-2012/
Under 'key documents' is the specification for biology and scroll down the the B456 section :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank youu!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please could someone explain how ecstasy affects the transmission of impulses across a synapse?
could someone explain gene switching to me?
Original post by It's-Ruby
Please could someone explain how ecstasy affects the transmission of impulses across a synapse?

With ecstasy, it blocks sites in the brain's synapses where the transmitter chemical is removed.
This means that more serotonin is released into the gap than usual (thus increasing the concentration).
More serotonin means greater feeling of happiness.

Hope that helped!

After serotonin has been released and binded to the receptor molecules on the second neuron it is usually reabsorbed back into the first neuron. However ecstasy blocks the sites where serotonin is reabsorbed and removed from the synapse. As a result the serotonin concentration increases in the synapse which causes more impulses to be triggered in the second neuron. Does that sound ok everyone??
Reply 372
Original post by Pandorax
Woah, what table? What flame test? What topic is this? D8 XDDD

There's a table of tests after the page with your name - part of C6.

Original post by becketts
I'm sure you guys are all really busy with your own revision, but would any of you be able to explain why impulses in synapses only go one way? :colondollar:

Synapses are gaps and produce a neurone transmitter (chemical) that diffuses from the first neurone into the gap. Then the neurone transmitter is bound to the receptor molecules on the second neurone where the impulse then continues to travel to the motor neurone in the spinal cord.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 373

Ecstasy blocks the sites in the Brain's synapses where the neurone transmitter (serotonin) is removed. This means that the concentration of serotonin increases in each synapse and the frequency of the impulse too.
Reply 374
Mitosis:
6) they split

Meiosis:

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the spec it says that candidates don't need to know the intermediate stages of meiosis/mitosis :wink:
Spec: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/82526-specification.pdf (page 50)
Original post by HappyHylian
B4 Six Markers:

Comparing parts of plant/animal cell, what they do, how they help respiration.
Explaining how enzymes work + analysing/explaining data? How pH/temperature affects? Graphs?
Comparing aerobic and anerobic respiration and the advantages/disadvantages?
Comparing uses of fermentation. (Biogas/Bread/Alcohol). Maybe some explanation.
Explaining rate of photosynthesis, limiting factors, etc + analysing/explaining data.
Taking a transect/using a quadrat/light meter/ identification key.
The differences between diffusion/osmosis/active transport. Perhaps analysing/evaulating data? (I HOPE THIS ONE ISN'T USED! ><)
Comparing respiration between human cells/plant cells/bacteria cells.

B5 Six Markers:

Explaining how proteins are made by ribosomes.
Comparing Meiosis and Mitosis.
Comparing Adult Stem Cells and Embryonic Stem Cells + ethics?
Explaining how to clone using stem cells.
Explaining how to clone plants. (Cuttings, meristems, rooting powder, etc).
Explaining Phototropism and Auxins + analysing/explaining data?

B6 Six Markers:

Comparing CNS and PNS. Maybe just explaining either?
Explaining how the CNS coordinates a response with a given scenario (like, a bird sees a cat).
Explaining Synapses + why impulses can only go one way.
Explaining the reflex arc with a given scenario. (Sarah's leg still reacts when the doctor hits it with a hammer).
Explaining simple relflexes with different examples. (Sea anemones wave their tentacles when stimulated by pray's chemicals, molluscs close their shells, human eye contracting with increased light, etc, etc,).
Explaining Pavlov's dogs/conditioned reflexes.
Comparing brain development between child and adult + explain. Possibly explaining data. Maybe even comparing normal and feral children.
Different ways to study the brain + ethical issues.
Explaining how memory works + model.

(Updated version. The possible 6 markers in bold have already been asked in previous papers, HOWEVER, this doesn't mean they won't come up!!)

Please can you or anyone else help me with the fermentation 6 marker for b4 i have no idea what i would write! Ive never came across this before! Im panicking now!
Original post by Sulfur
Ecstasy blocks the sites in the Brain's synapses where the neurone transmitter (serotonin) is removed. This means that the concentration of serotonin increases in each synapse and the frequency of the impulse too.

Why does the frequency increase also? Is this correct:
the serotonin concentration in the spynapse will increase as it cannot get absorbed by the post synaptic neuron therefore since there is an increase in serotonin concentration more molecules will be available to bind to the receptor molecules therefore increasing the frequency of nerve impulses??
or does ecstasy block all receptor molecules
im really cnfused!
Can someone please explain how this generator works? And how the right hand rule comes into this?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 378
Original post by Amyjonesx
Why does the frequency increase also? Is this correct:
the serotonin concentration in the spynapse will increase as it cannot get absorbed by the post synaptic neuron therefore since there is an increase in serotonin concentration more molecules will be available to bind to the receptor molecules therefore increasing the frequency of nerve impulses??
or does ecstasy block all receptor molecules
im really cnfused!

Yup that seems right: I would've probably just changed it slightly:

The frequency of the impulse increases because Ecstasy blocks the sites in the Brain's synapses. This means that the concentration of Serotonin increases because it cannot travel from the first synapse to the other where Serotonin is normally removed and there are more chemicals (Serotonin) to bind to the receptor cells.

I don't think that Ecstasy blocks all of the sites.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sulfur
In the spec it says that candidates don't need to know the intermediate stages of meiosis/mitosis :wink:
Spec: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/82526-specification.pdf (page 50)

...... Three hours of my life wasted *weep* some people even went into as much depth as the scientific names for the four stages. Oh well, rather be overprepared :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending