The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Getting sick of all this whining. We don't ****ing need Fabregas and stop saying " depth this and depth that" because depth can still be bought.

Ramsey > Fabregas next season I'm calling it now.

Stop with this " we can keep fabregas when Ramsey and co are injured" because Cesc is much more than a squad player. We're much better off buying a real CDM and like Ornstein has tweeted, we're prioritising one.

Can you seriously imagine an XI with Cazorla/Ozil/Fabregas all on at the same time? We already have enough playmakers.

It's unfortunate that he'd go to Chelsea of all Clubs and yes it only makes things harder. That doesn't mean we're just gonna spunk out 30m for Fabregas "just so Chelsea can't have him" when realistically they'd end up buying some one else like Koke or similar.

Don't get me wrong, Arsene has to win the league next year, if not then 2nd place ( as long as Chelsea weren't first). But you guys are having some next crisis as if the seasons already over. We could afford Cesc, so if Wenger has rejected this deal he's probably got something bigger lined up. Stop expecting to hear our potential signings through the media because I'm sure they're going to be discreet until it actually happens.
Fabregas in a Chelsea shirt would be pretty difficult to swallow. Not going to deny that.

But people are forgetting what we actually need to achieve in this transfer window.

We've just sold our backup goalkeeper. We have to replace Fabianski or when Scz gets injured we are royally ****ed.

Our first choice RB is going to leave, leaving us with only Jenkinson. Wether you think he is good enough to take over or not (I don't), we still need to buy another RB.

Now onto an issue Wenger himself has highlighted: not scoring enough. What's the problem here? Is it a lack of creativity? No. We have Ramsey and Ozil, two of the best creative midfield talents going at the moment. We create a lot of chances. The problem is that Giroud isn't clinical enough. You can say he scored 22 goals or whatever it was but anyone who has watched us all season knows how many chances he has squandered and how he consistently fails to score against top quality opposition.

If you've got a limited transfer budget (like us), you have to prioritise.

So lets say we spend a big chunk of our budget on Fabregas. Have we solved any of the above problems? No.

As for the argument about signing him for squad depth, we have Wilshere (who can't even get in the team atm anyway) who can cover for Ramsey. Cazorla and Rosicky can fill in for Ozil if he gets a knock.

We've got loads of creative midfielders in the team. If we do sign a midfielder it has to be a defensive minded player.
I am feeling absolutely sick about this, absolutely going mad over this- it is looking likely that our former captain who we made into a world class player is about to join one of our closest rivals for the peak years of his career. He is better than any midfield option we have and i don't see how he wouldn't improve us.

so we will have Van Persie at United, Fabregas at Chelsea and then Nasri, Clichy and Sagna at City meanwhile we are left with Sanogo and a bunch of players who are constantly injured

still Wenger got his 3 year contract so it is not all bad

WENKER OUT NOW.
(edited 9 years ago)
Tbh Chelsea would just buy Koke or Pogba if we didn't get Fabregas.

Anyway there's the case that we're doing this transfer on the down low so you guys don't notice, but I won't get my hopes up, how do we actually know e.g. that Fabregas isn't wanted at Barca?
You guys make me lol, at you not with you.
Original post by what is this
I am feeling absolutely sick about this, absolutely going mad over this- it is looking likely that our former captain who we made into a world class player is about to join one of our closest rivals for the peak years of his career. He is better than any midfield option we have and i don't see how he wouldn't improve us.

so we will have Van Persie at United, Fabregas at Chelsea and then Nasri, Clichy and Sagna at City meanwhile we are left with Sanogo and a bunch of players who are constantly injured

still Wenger got his 3 year contract so it is not all bad

WENKER OUT NOW.

Get a grip, this thread is ****ing embarrassing at times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
calmed down now tbh was lettin idea of nostalgia cloud rational thinkin. as jam just said they would have just slammed for koke or pogba if they aren't getting fab anyway. Not the end of da world if we lock down some targets. Jam wont be safe in the UK if he buys a no.4 fabregas shirt though, mans gonna have to migrate cos of the TSR death threats.

no-one seems to be talkin about our yute either, i hope some of them are ready to break in to some loan action by next season though it seems unlikely.

just lol at ozils tweet on oxcube, much cringe.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
calmed down now tbh was lettin idea of nostalgia cloud rational thinkin. as jam just said they would have just slammed for koke or pogba if they aren't getting fab anyway. Not the end of da world if we lock down some targets. Jam wont be safe in the UK if he buys a no.4 fabregas shirt though, mans gonna have to migrate cos of the TSR death threats.

no-one seems to be talkin about our yute either, i hope some of them are ready to break in to some loan action by next season though it seems unlikely.

What tweet?
Original post by AR_95
What tweet?

Come on Ox, I want to see you in Rio! #Brasil2014#WorldCup#TheOX

just waiting for the podolski tweet now. #friends #teammates #fun #injury #england #recovery #kneeligament
just waiting for the podolski tweet now. #friends #teammates #fun #injury #england #recovery #kneeligament

Man'll go to where your sister works with the fab no.4 shirt in a Chelsea kit.

I only see Gnabry making it out the current crop tbh. Tbh if Wenger think he's that good a player that's probably why he ain't going for a proper winger. Will see more of him next season, or he'll be loaned to a premier league team.

You have enough depth at LB, Jenkinson will probably assume RB, you've got 3 quality CBs. Don't see any other youth you've got.
Original post by jam278

I only see Gnabry making it out the current crop tbh. Tbh if Wenger think he's that good a player that's probably why he ain't going for a proper winger. Will see more of him next season, or he'll be loaned to a premier league team.

You have enough depth at LB, Jenkinson will probably assume RB, you've got 3 quality CBs. Don't see any other youth you've got.

Zelalem and Crowley are two of the best prospects we've had in years. Expect to see them both in the League Cup this year.
Reply 6832
The Fabregas transfer to Chelsea will only be countered if we strengthen in positions with world class players. That is a world class striker, CDM and a real talented RB.

Thing is, unless players arnt available, Wenger doesn't seem to go for them. Fabregas was available and I'm concerned that he would be our only world class target.

This is me being pessemistic, it's me making an assumption based on previous transfer windows.

Here is what I'm envious about, when another top flight team wants a player- they'll get him. Why can't Arsenal do that? Why do we only settle for what's on the market?
Original post by jam278

lmao go for it, she has some poverty hipster BVB fan on the go atm. wouldn't go with the chelsea kit though, she'll think you're special needs or suttin.

gnabry isn't composed enough for weekly first team football yet imo would prefer walcott/ox to take his space up for now, would like to see him in league/FA cup next year but shouldn't be touching CL next season. Would like to send him out on loan to QPR or somethin though.

Don't mind Jenko tbf, got a good engine and just needs gametime to iron out some decision making errors. We've got a few youth but don't think any are ready to move up yet, even Zelalem who is prophesised to go god mode when he gets in to the first team is nowhere near. Bellerin, Akpom and co. are kind of on the verge but don't think they'll break in either.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
Getting sick of all this whining. We don't ****ing need Fabregas and stop saying " depth this and depth that" because depth can still be bought.

Ramsey > Fabregas next season I'm calling it now.

Stop with this " we can keep fabregas when Ramsey and co are injured" because Cesc is much more than a squad player. We're much better off buying a real CDM and like Ornstein has tweeted, we're prioritising one.

Can you seriously imagine an XI with Cazorla/Ozil/Fabregas all on at the same time? We already have enough playmakers.

It's unfortunate that he'd go to Chelsea of all Clubs and yes it only makes things harder. That doesn't mean we're just gonna spunk out 30m for Fabregas "just so Chelsea can't have him" when realistically they'd end up buying some one else like Koke or similar.

Don't get me wrong, Arsene has to win the league next year, if not then 2nd place ( as long as Chelsea weren't first). But you guys are having some next crisis as if the seasons already over. We could afford Cesc, so if Wenger has rejected this deal he's probably got something bigger lined up. Stop expecting to hear our potential signings through the media because I'm sure they're going to be discreet until it actually happens.

Thank God someone with some sense on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Personally I would sell Santi and buy Fabregas. Solved.
Original post by C.Almasy
Personally I would sell Santi and buy Fabregas. Solved.

I partially agree. People are being so short sighted. Arteta, Flamini, Santi, Rosicky aren't getting younger in the next 2/3 years they should all have left or retired. Cesc is in his prime maybe 7/8 years left before he retires.
Original post by sevchenko
I partially agree. People are being so short sighted. Arteta, Flamini, Santi, Rosicky aren't getting younger in the next 2/3 years they should all have left or retired. Cesc is in his prime maybe 7/8 years left before he retires.

I think he believes Chamberlain can play in the middle still. God, I really hope Wenger is making the right decision this time. Maybe he knows something about Cesc we don't? Maybe he has more suitable players lined up? You know, if he ****s this up then the backlash will be huge. We're not in austerity anymore ffs. Chelsea will have Matic and Cesc in CDM... that is as good if not better than our midfield. Although yes, they would have just bought Pogba or Koke anyway.
imo the main priorities this window (apart from replacing those leaving) are a striker, a left winger and a defensive mid.

i'd say left wing is the most important, as cazorla or podolski just don't have the pace we need with giroud up front - we need players running in behind. Chamberlain and walcott on either wing would be great but one or both are injured most of the time. if we buy a world class winger then i'd actually be content (not happy) with giroud staying as our first choice striker (and buying a back-up).

for defensive midfield, i think we could try out vermaelen there. he's too talented to be a squad player, and he knows this which is why he might be leaving. he's still our captain, he's an excellent tackler and is good on the ball as well. it may not work out in practice but its an idea, not sure if anyone has mentioned it already here. if we did do this then clearly we would need to buy a new third choice centre back. if not we definitely need to buy a dm.

These are our priorities, not buying a new playmaker when we already have more than enough. People said we didn't need ozil last year, so we definitely don't need fabregas now. ramsey will continue to improve, and people seem to have forgotten wilshere's quality - i'm sure he'll be fighting for ramsey's place in the team next season.
So we have a supposed budget of £100m, I doubt we'll realistically spend anymore than £75m. As much as I love Cesc, blowing 40% of our transfer budget for a non-essential acquisition is ludicrous. We have no control over who else goes in for him, and as much as his return would be quality...id much rather that £30m was saved and spent on a truly world class striker.

I don't get the reaction from the fans...I know Cesc is an Arsenal legend, but ultimately hed simply be a slight upgrade on cazorla...there is really no point for 30m. Right now I'm remaining patient. IF we are reserving this cash to strengthen where it really matters then it is a great decision, I know it will be painful seeing Cesc play for Chelsea, but again I think they are well equipped in his position and ultimately hes only a slight upgrade on their present players too!

Please withhold judgement till the end of the transfer window. All of you fickle bastards will be rimming Wenger come August if we sign Aurier, Bender, Balotelli Griezmann (or equivalent)...its too early to judge our entire transfer policy based on the rejection of a non-essential player. In August I'll join you if we repeat our previous dire transfer exploits,however, as ever the naive optimistic, I reckon Wenger will do us proud.

Latest