The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C.Almasy
I think he believes Chamberlain can play in the middle still. God, I really hope Wenger is making the right decision this time. Maybe he knows something about Cesc we don't? Maybe he has more suitable players lined up? You know, if he ****s this up then the backlash will be huge. We're not in austerity anymore ffs. Chelsea will have Matic and Cesc in CDM... that is as good if not better than our midfield. Although yes, they would have just bought Pogba or Koke anyway.

No one in the current Arsenal midfield is better than Cesc. That is a fact.

People are banking on Wenger to buy World class players to prove signing Cesc was not necessary. I'm looking at the market and what World class DM are available? We'll see who we sign and if they live up to our expectations. There no guarantee any money will be spent on the quality we need, just look at last summer.

I'm not having that Chelsea would have just bought someone BS. Name me one player with the consistency at the highest level and Premier league experience Cesc has with a price tag under £30M. Cesc is world Class people are forgetting this.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
just waiting for the podolski tweet now. #friends #teammates #fun #injury #england #recovery #kneeligament

You missed '#aha'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sevchenko
No one in the current Arsenal midfield is better than Cesc. That is a fact.

People are banking on Wenger to buy World class players to prove signing Cesc was not necessary. I'm looking at the market and what World class DM are available? We'll see who we sign and if they live up to our expectations. There no guarantee any money will be spent on the quality we need, just look at last summer.

I'm not having that Chelsea would have just bought someone BS. Name me one player with the consistency at the highest level and Premier league experience Cesc has with a price tag under £30M. Cesc is world Class people are forgetting this.

For 25m it is a no brainer. Cesc is miles ahead of Santi. I am actually livid. From a purely emotional perspective as a fan, it shows a TOTAL lack of pride. I mean, COME ON! He was the captain. And he is being let go to Chelsea even with our clause? It is ridiculous.
For 25m it is a no brainer. Cesc is miles ahead of Santi. I am actually livid. From a purely emotional perspective as a fan, it shows a TOTAL lack of pride. I mean, COME ON! He was the captain. And he is being let go to Chelsea even with our clause? It is ridiculous.

Are we definitely not getting him? Or is it just a rumour? :s-smilie:

I think that we need him really, as both Flamini, Rosicky and Arteta are getting old, and will probably leave soon
(edited 9 years ago)

I actually feel sorry for Wenger here. It must have been a painful decision to turn down Cesc if he has done so. It must hurt Wenger to have one of his best talents he's invested some much time and effort into possibly playing for a punk like Mourinho
Original post by sevchenko
I actually feel sorry for Wenger here. It must have been a painful decision to turn down Cesc if he has done so. It must hurt Wenger to have one of his best talents he's invested some much time and effort into possibly playing for a punk like Mourinho

We better be getting some good signings.
I don't think all hope is lost yet over fabregas, no one knows exactly what the clause says. It might be that barca have to accept an offer (which they are still to do) before we even get a say. Has wenger or anyone at arsenal said they don't want him back? If not the info Could have been circulated to make chelsea send a formal bid, but that's just me bieng optimistic :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Adil96m
I don't think all hope is lost yet over fabregas, no one knows exactly what the clause says. It might be that barca have to accept an offer (which they are still to do) before we even get a say. Has wenger or anyone at arsenal said they don't want him back? If not the info Could have been circulated to make chelsea send a formal bid, but that's just me bieng optimistic :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, we've openly said we're not interested.
Original post by jamesandwhat
imo the main priorities this window (apart from replacing those leaving) are a striker, a left winger and a defensive mid.

i'd say left wing is the most important, as cazorla or podolski just don't have the pace we need with giroud up front - we need players running in behind. Chamberlain and walcott on either wing would be great but one or both are injured most of the time. if we buy a world class winger then i'd actually be content (not happy) with giroud staying as our first choice striker (and buying a back-up).

for defensive midfield, i think we could try out vermaelen there. he's too talented to be a squad player, and he knows this which is why he might be leaving. he's still our captain, he's an excellent tackler and is good on the ball as well. it may not work out in practice but its an idea, not sure if anyone has mentioned it already here. if we did do this then clearly we would need to buy a new third choice centre back. if not we definitely need to buy a dm.

These are our priorities, not buying a new playmaker when we already have more than enough. People said we didn't need ozil last year, so we definitely don't need fabregas now. ramsey will continue to improve, and people seem to have forgotten wilshere's quality - i'm sure he'll be fighting for ramsey's place in the team next season.

Ewwwwww Vermaelen in DM is a no no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
Yes, we've openly said we're not interested.

source? I can't find it.
Original post by Basiji
source? I can't find it.

Try a few pages back otherwise I'll post/find it in a bit
Original post by AR_95
Try a few pages back otherwise I'll post/find it in a bit

David Ornstein =/= Arsenal have openly stated they're not interested. -__-
Original post by Basiji
David Ornstein =/= Arsenal have openly stated they're not interested. -__-

But he's quite a reliable source. Up to you what you take from it.
Original post by Kruz
Ewwwwww Vermaelen in DM is a no no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

just a possibility if noone else is available and it means we don't have to sell him. he might lack a bit of positioning and concentration sometimes but i think wenger could teach him how to play there, just like he did arteta
Original post by jamesandwhat
just a possibility if noone else is available and it means we don't have to sell him. he might lack a bit of positioning and concentration sometimes but i think wenger could teach him how to play there, just like he did arteta

He's been poor defensively this season (when he's been on) so putting him in CDM is even worse
Original post by AR_95
But he's quite a reliable source. Up to you what you take from it.

It's not the club openly saying it though, is it.
Original post by e aí rapaz
It's not the club openly saying it though, is it.

Yes yes I get the point.
I'm still banking on shenanigans, but Ornstein is pretty much gospel...

Picture it guys, Cesc lifting the Premier league trophy come mid may, in a chelski shirt.

I'm ****ing done.
Original post by Pete_91

Picture it guys, Cesc lifting the Premier league trophy come mid may, in a chelski shirt.

I'm ****ing done.

We'll make him Captain so he gets to lift it first...

Anyway Chelsea aren't going to win the league next season. Maybe FA cup. Top 2 isn't guaranteed either.

He'll also struggle in the CL. Ain't getting past the Semi final either unless Costa does a Drogba.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pete_91

I'm ****ing done.

Hoping they have some team implosion with Mourinho.

Could happen :biggrin:

Latest