The Student Room Group

Why is it hard to separate compounds?

Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ionic covalent bonds etc.
Reply 2
Because compounds are 2 or more elements chemically bonded so to separate them you have to undo that bond and a chemical is released, I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by AlphaNick
be more specific, what type of compounds and what are you separating?

In my CGP chemistry book it says "it is very difficult to separate the two original elements out again" So I don't know its being general
Reply 4
Original post by AlphaNick
I've emboldened the problem

I assume it just means that it is difficult to separate elements in compounds because there is strong electrostatic force between either the nuclei and the other ions' electrons (ionic) or in sharing electrons (covalent).

Tnx, but actually compounds are not all ions like co2...I think
(edited 9 years ago)
Electrostatic force between the atoms. The more oppositely charged they are, the harder it is to break the bonds and seperate them.

(Oh, the good ol' days of GCSE :biggrin::biggrin:.....)
Reply 6
Original post by BarBaBaBaBarBaBaBa
Electrostatic force between the atoms. The more oppositely charged they are, the harder it is to break the bonds and seperate them.

(Oh, the good ol' days of GCSE :biggrin::biggrin:.....)

But as I said before do all compounds have an ionic bond? Co2 thats doesnt have electrostatic forces between it, just bonds right??
Original post by Tcool
But as I said before do all compounds have an ionic bond? Co2 thats doesnt have electrostatic forces between it, just bonds right??

Nope, not all compounds contain ionic bonding. It entirely depends on what compound, i.e. what elements and atoms are present. Ionic bonding is only one type of several bonds found between atoms.

You're right, CO2 doesn't have an ionic bond, it has a covalent bond instead. This means the carbon atom shares its outer electrons with two oxygen atoms it is bonded to.

There are technically electrostatic forces in a covalent bond (between the positive nuclei and the shared electrons) but electrostatic forces are usually used in the context of ionic bonding and not covalent, especially seeing as ionic bonding is a lot stronger.
Ionic bonds = metal + non metal
Covalent bonds = non metal + non metal

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Nope, not all compounds contain ionic bonding. It entirely depends on what compound, i.e. what elements and atoms are present. Ionic bonding is only one type of several bonds found between atoms.

You're right, CO2 doesn't have an ionic bond, it has a covalent bond instead. This means the carbon atom shares its outer electrons with two oxygen atoms it is bonded to.

There are technically electrostatic forces in a covalent bond (between the positive nuclei and the shared electrons) but electrostatic forces are usually used in the context of ionic bonding and not covalent, especially seeing as ionic bonding is a lot stronger.

Tanx that's really helpful :smile:
Original post by Tcool
Tanx that's really helpful :smile:

Best of luck for your exam :smile:
Reply 11
Best of luck for your exam :smile:

Tanx! If you got any exams, G'luck too :smile:
Original post by Tcool
Tanx! If you got any exams, G'luck too :smile:

Aha, I have. A-level chemistry :wink: Ironically lol
Reply 13
Aha, I have. A-level chemistry :wink: Ironically lol

A2 or As?
Original post by Tcool
A2 or As?

Both. A2s and Resits for AS. Lol. Can't wait till it's all over.

If you're going to take chemistry at A-level, take a word of advice from me. Make sure you're on top of the work from day 1. That way you can avoid resits at all costs. They really hold you back
Reply 15
Both. A2s and Resits for AS. Lol. Can't wait till it's all over.

If you're going to take chemistry at A-level, take a word of advice from me. Make sure you're on top of the work from day 1. That way you can avoid resits at all costs. They really hold you back

I'm avoiding science COMPLETELY. I'm just so bad at it :/ Ah, you must be feeling so much pressure but remember to not just hook yourself on revision get loads of sleep before the exams :wink:
Original post by Tcool
I'm avoiding science COMPLETELY. I'm just so bad at it :/ Ah, you must be feeling so much pressure but remember to not just hook yourself on revision get loads of sleep before the exams :wink:

It's funny you say that. I have an exam tomorrow and have done NO Revision for it. I'm contemplating whether I should stay up revise or go to sleep lol
Reply 17
It's funny you say that. I have an exam tomorrow and have done NO Revision for it. I'm contemplating whether I should stay up revise or go to sleep lol

It depends if you DESPERATELY need to revise now. I'd suggest go to sleep but obvs its up to you...or go revise now until like 2ish :smile:
Original post by Tcool
It depends if you DESPERATELY need to revise now. I'd suggest go to sleep but obvs its up to you...or go revise now until like 2ish :smile:

Yes I think i will do that. Thanks :smile: again good luck. Toodles
Reply 19
Yes I think i will do that. Thanks :smile: again good luck. Toodles

You too tanx :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest