The Student Room Group

psyA3 yesterday

Just curious as to how people found it and to what extent the grade boundaries will be lowered. I did aggression, eating and sleep!
Original post by samra7676
Just curious as to how people found it and to what extent the grade boundaries will be lowered. I did aggression, eating and sleep!

Student2117
x

Hey, you both made threads about this exam. :smile:
Reply 2
Everyone at my college thought it was better than expected! I didn't really like lifespan changes but it was only 4 marks so that's not too bad. My thoughts now though is that because they were quite nice questions the grade boundaries are going to be higher :frown: Saying that, I think the reason they were nice questions were because AQA put on 3 exams on the same day (English Language, critical thinking and psych) and all were quite easy so maybe that was done to lower stress levels for those who had all three?
Hi there,

I did: Aggression, Relationships and Intelligence.

Relationship question wasn't too bad, didn't really like the 20 marker Aggression one. And Intelligence was a umm and ahh one. Was OK-ish, but realised after the exam a lot of could have said the the Intelligence question, that forgot to mention!

As for grade boundaries, as us Year 13's are the 'guinea-pig' year for the changes to A Levels, where we have had to see all of our exams right at the end of Year 13, I am hoping, with fingers crossed this will work in our favour. Meaning that the grade boundaries will be lowered!

My teacher was saying in past years grade boundaries can be so varied it's crazy. Sometimes for the 24 marker, on the current syllabus 12-13/24 could be an A, and then another year you need something like 20/21 out of 24 for an A! So, it's so varied, yet so mad!

But, like I said, hopefully this year the examiners and the exam boards will understand our year has been the 'guinea pig' year, and will then lower all the grade boundaries! Plus, this is the last year for the current AQA Psychology syllabus. As in 2015 the syllabus is changing!

What did everyone else think of the questions then? Especially the sections that I have done. - Aggression, Relationships, and Intelligence.
Reply 4
Original post by MollMidwife
What did everyone else think of the questions then? Especially the sections that I have done. - Aggression, Relationships, and Intelligence.

I'm doing Biological Rhythms rather than Intelligence, I was so-so about the Relationships question (think I got a bit rambly) but I thought the Aggression question was surprisingly nice actually. I spoke mostly about testosterone for the short one, with a little mention of the amygdala, and then about deindividuation for the longer one. I brought up Zimbardo's Stanford Prison Experiment and his Milgram-esque one into deindividuation and then Johnson & Downing's similar one as criticism of it possibly being socially expected behaviour rather than actual deindividuation.
Reply 5
Original post by jm925
I'm doing Biological Rhythms rather than Intelligence, I was so-so about the Relationships question (think I got a bit rambly) but I thought the Aggression question was surprisingly nice actually. I spoke mostly about testosterone for the short one, with a little mention of the amygdala, and then about deindividuation for the longer one. I brought up Zimbardo's Stanford Prison Experiment and his Milgram-esque one into deindividuation and then Johnson & Downing's similar one as criticism of it possibly being socially expected behaviour rather than actual deindividuation.

I must have done the same three topics as you then! I thought the aggression question was quite nice too actually. I didn't have much A01 to say so it was good for me that that only need 4marks aha! I had a lot of A02 I think.. so I think I did okay on that one. But I did the social learning theory instead:-)
For the relationships one I just wrote like everything I knew about evolutionary theory and relationships! So, I definitely had the knowledge but god knows how well I wrote it. +I did a little bit on the amygdala and testosterone but it was quite short because I wasn't sure how much we were meant to write for a four mark?
I hated the sleep one! Its my worst topic anyway but I hadn't revised that bit as well so I had to rely mostly on my memory to be honest which meant that I only remembered like two studies. I tried to put some IDAs in there to boost it but I doubt my AO2 will be very good..

What are you guys aiming for grade wise?
Reply 6
Original post by Alindsey
I must have done the same three topics as you then! I thought the aggression question was quite nice too actually. I didn't have much A01 to say so it was good for me that that only need 4marks aha! I had a lot of A02 I think.. so I think I did okay on that one. But I did the social learning theory instead:-)
For the relationships one I just wrote like everything I knew about evolutionary theory and relationships! So, I definitely had the knowledge but god knows how well I wrote it. +I did a little bit on the amygdala and testosterone but it was quite short because I wasn't sure how much we were meant to write for a four mark?
I hated the sleep one! Its my worst topic anyway but I hadn't revised that bit as well so I had to rely mostly on my memory to be honest which meant that I only remembered like two studies. I tried to put some IDAs in there to boost it but I doubt my AO2 will be very good..

What are you guys aiming for grade wise?

Yeah, the lifespan changes was pretty good for me but then I just hadn't worked on the Restoration explanation enough at all so it'll be interesting to see how it worked out haha
My firm's AAA, how about you?
Reply 7
Original post by jm925
Yeah, the lifespan changes was pretty good for me but then I just hadn't worked on the Restoration explanation enough at all so it'll be interesting to see how it worked out haha
My firm's AAA, how about you?

Yeah, neither had I! And I need an A too! Fingers crossed:-)
Hi there,

Well I thought the Relationship question was OK - wrote about Trivers. Aggression was the one I didn't like! But in the end wrote about Deindividuation, a bit on the Importation and Deprivation Model, and then wrote about Zimbardo's prison experiment. Wasn't too bad, but would have loved it we got a question on evolutionary explanations of aggression!

Intelligence wasn't too bad, but again, would have liked something else! Loved the 4 marker for aggression! Wrote about Prefrontal cortex, levels of dopamine and serotonin and then testosterone as well. But, it's always hard to see how much to write for the 4 markers, because you still have to get lots down, so in the end, wrote just under a whole page! Although, I do have very large handwriting. Get about 4-6 words on one line on average.

Overall, not too bad, but still was tricky!

How are you all feeling about Unit 4? I have my exam on 11th June! And I am doing: Schizophrenia, Media, and then obviously Research Methods.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by MollMidwife
Hi there,

Well I thought the Relationship question was OK - wrote about Trivers. Aggression was the one I didn't like! But in the end wrote about Deindividuation, a bit on the Importation and Deprivation Model, and then wrote about Zimbardo's prison experiment. Wasn't too bad, but would have loved it we got a question on evolutionary explanations of aggression!

Intelligence wasn't too bad, but again, would have liked something else! Loved the 4 marker for aggression! Wrote about Prefrontal cortex, levels of dopamine and serotonin and then testosterone as well. But, it's always hard to see how much to write for the 4 markers, because you still have to get lots down, so in the end, wrote just under a whole page! Although, I do have very large handwriting. Get about 4-6 words on one line on average.

Overall, not too bad, but still was tricky!

How are you all feeling about Unit 4? I have my exam on 11th June! And I am doing: Schizophrenia, Media, and then obviously Research Methods.

I didn't know how much to write for the 4 marks either, I wrote about half a page but I get around 9 words to a line so. +I'm feeling okay about unit 4 because there are only like 5 questions that they can ask you for schizophrenia so I think I'll be much more prepared. Grade boundaries are relatively high though so I don't know:-\

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending