The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Hwo do you determiine what is 'Normal' in society

in current society in this country there is a lot of comment of what is normal and what is not. for example i think most people on this forum would confirm cannibalism is ab-normal ( and therefore unacceptable) also rampant drug use. but what about other societal behaviours? Man dressing as a woman? man having surgery to look like a woman? man having surgery to look like an animal? homosexuality ? heterosexuality?

How exactly do we actually define what is, or should be defined as normal?
Reply 1
Whatever most people do.
There is no "normal" yet we subconsciously define it in our minds. If we're stigmatising people, the only reason we do it is because they don't fit our definition of "normal"
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
The belief that cannibalism is bad is a social construct.
Reply 4
Original post by shawn_o1
There is no "normal" yet we subconsciously define it in our minds. If we're stigmatising people, the only reason we do it is because they don't fit our definition of "normal"

Wrong, normal is a word with a definition that can be applied to human culture therefore there is a "normal".
Original post by james1211
Whatever most people do.

most people are a set single gender, so you are saying transgender are abnormal?
Reply 6
Original post by Meenglishnogood
most people are a set single gender, so you are saying transgender are abnormal?

Yes.

yes it is a disorder.
Reply 8
I reckon that people class others as 'normal' if they look and think like them.
Original post by james1211
Yes.

and then homosexuality?
Original post by Lilyghz
I reckon that people class others as 'normal' if they look and think like them.

by people do you mean you? im really asking how do you define as normal
Normality is purely based on the views of most of society. It's kind of like natural selection in a way, over time normality changes based on the social pressures of society.
Original post by Armin.
The belief that cannibalism is bad is a social construct.

It's also pretty good health advice. Cannibalism increases your risk of prion diseases.

On the main topic: Probably people define "normal" as that which most closely resembles themselves and their peers, and then the society they're in. Yes, this does mean that normal is going to vary from person to person and society to society. It also means "normal" can't be equated to "good".

(And damn, not even 1 page into this thread and already there's transphobia on display. For shame TSR, for shame.)
Reply 13
and then homosexuality?

Are you going to label him a homophobe if he says "yes"?
Original post by Armin.
Are you going to label him a homophobe if he says "yes"?

im not going to labelling anyone anything here, im trying to work out what people deem as normal, and why
Reply 15
Generally speaking I take anything I say online or make a thread about and class normal as the opposite of that.
and then homosexuality?

Also not normal. The majority of people are not gay.

This isn't really an abstract thing, normal is very basically a definition of what is the most common. I'm aware that word carries some baggage, but homosexuality is abnormal, red hair is abnormal, on a global scale being white is abnormal there's nothing wrong with saying this it's a fact.
To be normal, is actually abnormal,
[video="youtube;_Oc9tKkH7WE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Oc9tKkH7WE[/video]
Normality is a social construct. You'll never meet anyone who is really normal.
There is no normal, everyone is different. However there are se things that are illegal to protect people. If you break it, threats obviously not great, but then again many people do bad things. Also something's are just....why would you???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending