Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Oxford Brookes Applicants for September 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
O
Original post by JessaDickins
You're doing Fine Art too? Thats so exciting! I haven't found anyone yet doing it! :biggrin: x

Ooohh yayy!! :biggrin: I know, haven't found many of us art students yet :tongue:
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Original post by Burrows
O
Ooohh yayy!! :biggrin: I know, haven't found many of us art students yet :tongue:

Only us three so far :smile: I'm doing Fine Art with Art History as Burrows already knows! So I'll be in half of the lectures and using the same studio space hopefully :smile:
Original post by abie_lark
Only us three so far :smile: I'm doing Fine Art with Art History as Burrows already knows! So I'll be in half of the lectures and using the same studio space hopefully :smile:

Hi. My daughter wants to go to Brookes this September. They've asked her for merit in her art foundation even though she already has D*DD in the BTEC Art and Design. Do you mind me asking what grade they asked you for?
Reply 683
Original post by Studentsmum
Hi. My daughter wants to go to Brookes this September. They've asked her for merit in her art foundation even though she already has D*DD in the BTEC Art and Design. Do you mind me asking what grade they asked you for?

I'm on an art foundation course at Warwickshire College at the moment and completed A levels last year, I was offered an unconditional offer though.
Original post by Burrows
I'm on an art foundation course at Warwickshire College at the moment and completed A levels last year, I was offered an unconditional offer though.

Your portfolio must have been outstanding! What grades did you get at A-Level?
Reply 685
Your portfolio must have been outstanding! What grades did you get at A-Level?

I did 4 full A levels and got straight B's :smile:
Original post by Burrows
I did 4 full A levels and got straight B's :smile:

Well done!

My daughter's qualification is equivalent to A*AA at A-level plus the Art foundation (she's passed at least) so I don't know why they want merit. She has a total of 545 UCAS points.They seemed to like her portfolio, too.

(On the Btec level 3 advanced diploma in Art and Design 'D' stands for 'Distinction.':smile: )
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 687
Well done!

My daughter's qualification is equivalent to A*AA at A-level plus the Art foundation (she's passed at least) so I don't know why they want merit. She has a total of 545 UCAS points.They seemed to like her portfolio, too.

I have quite alot of friends on my art foundation who have better grades than I do before coming to foundation but didn't get unconditional offers. Sometimes it might just be how the person came across in an interview e.g. how much they knew about the course or how much they genuinely seemed to want to go there or even the range of work that the interviewer was looking for... To be honest though, if your daughter got an equivalent of A*AA at btec I'm pretty sure she's definitely capable of getting a merit at foundation!! :smile:
please do anyone know when they will send the cas letter for international students ??
Original post by Burrows
I have quite alot of friends on my art foundation who have better grades than I do before coming to foundation but didn't get unconditional offers. Sometimes it might just be how the person came across in an interview e.g. how much they knew about the course or how much they genuinely seemed to want to go there or even the range of work that the interviewer was looking for... To be honest though, if your daughter got an equivalent of A*AA at btec I'm pretty sure she's definitely capable of getting a merit at foundation!! :smile:

She's capable of a distinction but she has been very ill this year so hasn't been able to do as much work as she needs to get that. She may not even get a merit. She seemed to have done very well at interview. As the Art Foundation wasn't available as a part-time course she had to study full-time even though she wasn't well enough so I hope Brookes will take into consideration that she will be studying part-time with them and her BTec grades which show what she can produce given the right circumstances.
Reply 690
She's capable of a distinction but she has been very ill this year so hasn't been able to do as much work as she needs to get that. She may not even get a merit. She seemed to have done very well at interview. As the Art Foundation wasn't available as a part-time course she had to study full-time even though she wasn't well enough so I hope Brookes will take into consideration that she will be studying part-time with them and her BTec grades which show what she can produce given the right circumstances.

I'm sorry to hear that she's been ill. Are Oxford Brookes aware that she's been ill? If not, then it could always help to ring or even try to arrange a meeting with someone from the art department perhaps? That way you could explain the situation and ask what action they would take if she didn't get a Merit... Really hope that helps :smile:
Original post by Burrows
I'm sorry to hear that she's been ill. Are Oxford Brookes aware that she's been ill? If not, then it could always help to ring or even try to arrange a meeting with someone from the art department perhaps? That way you could explain the situation and ask what action they would take if she didn't get a Merit... Really hope that helps :smile:

Thanks! Yes, they know she's been ill but said that she would still have to get a merit. they said they might reassess her application 'as a near miss' if she only gets a pass which is very unclear. I don't know whether they meant 'if it's a near miss.':frown: Her tutor is going to phone the art department tomorrow.
Reply 692
anyone from somerset going to brookes in september??

Hey there! I went from GCSE to A level then Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, I originally attended Reading university but I didn't like it so I am switching to Oxford Brookes to start my degree again. I don't know what Oxford Brookes may ask for, but Reading uni asked for at least a Pass in Foundation!

I achieved a very high merit, and had a portfolio to show with it, has she attended an interview yet? A lot of art teachers don't mind on the grade of a Foundation, the important thing is that she has it as a qualification (Pass grade) the rest is up to her portfolio and how strong it is :smile:

I didn't need an interview, just an online portfolio because I have already done a year of university and Brookes accepted me straight away, I hope that helped a little, I'm sure she'll be better than fine!
Original post by abie_lark
Hey there! I went from GCSE to A level then Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, I originally attended Reading university but I didn't like it so I am switching to Oxford Brookes to start my degree again. I don't know what Oxford Brookes may ask for, but Reading uni asked for at least a Pass in Foundation!

I achieved a very high merit, and had a portfolio to show with it, has she attended an interview yet? A lot of art teachers don't mind on the grade of a Foundation, the important thing is that she has it as a qualification (Pass grade) the rest is up to her portfolio and how strong it is :smile:

I didn't need an interview, just an online portfolio because I have already done a year of university and Brookes accepted me straight away, I hope that helped a little, I'm sure she'll be better than fine!

Thanks. Reading was one of the universities I encouraged her to apply for but she didn't want to. Falmouth have only asked for a pass. She did attend an interview at Brookes. She was interviewed by three people. When they asked her why she wanted to study Fine Art she said, 'I want to be an artist.' They all cheered and said that no-one had ever said that before. She was asked to bring her portfolio with her. How strong it was I don't know because I have nothing else to which to compare it but she is extremely gifted. At 14 her art teacher told her her work was A-level standard and she was accepted onto the BTec course solely on her portfolio. Due to ill health she hadn't been able to take more than three GCSEs. The entrance requirements were four minimum and she didn't have one in Art so I'm guessing her portfolio is outstanding and she did get D*DD (D stands for Distinction and is equivalent to an A at A-level. I hope you enjoy Brookes.
So I finally got my offer changed into unconditional, yay! How does the uni contact me? Is it by mail or do they send an email?

I'm supposed to apply for a place in the halls but I haven't received any emails from the uni. I got the conditional offer May 1st and they changed it into unconditional last monday, is it normal that I'm still waiting for the information on how to apply to the halls or should I contact the university?
Reply 696
Original post by khaled ali
please do anyone know when they will send the cas letter for international students ??

I'm waiting for my cas number too! It's been 10 days since I submitted my CAS app!!
Original post by shama88
I'm waiting for my cas number too! It's been 10 days since I submitted my CAS app!!

for me ,it has been 5 days ,where are you from ??
Reply 698
Original post by khaled ali
for me ,it has been 5 days ,where are you from ??

Palestine, Gaza
I'm going to study MSc Public Health
I sent emails to the admissions office and CAS info but I didnt get any answer!! I'm really worried
Original post by shama88
Palestine, Gaza
I'm going to study MSc Public Health
I sent emails to the admissions office and CAS info but I didnt get any answer!! I'm really worried

I'm from egypt ,nice to meet u :smile: . there is no need to worry ,it can take some time .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending