The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kuchkuchhotahai
Participation ratio, Female participation ratio etc..

Sorry I never replied in time, but what the other person said. Its useful to discuss in monopoly/oligopoly questions for evaluation purposes... I've never seen it come up in a past paper though.

It's alright. I know price discrimination but didn't know that degree stuff. It has never been asked alone, helpful in evaluation though.
Reply 181
Are there any topics that come in the essay every year?? Like, any set topic areas?

It would be really helpful if someone could reply please :smile:
Does anybody know if on average people tend to perform better in this exam or the macro one last tuesday
?
Anyone up for another Skype session today? I know its late but still lol.

That would actually be really helpful :smile: i'm actually finding this unit harder than the last
Reply 184
Original post by YAAM
Thank you . but for the question like "Discuss the extent to which government intervention can reduce labour market failure caused by the immobility of labour", do you give 3 different examples of intervention and evaluate each of them?

Yup, that's what I would do:smile:
Just consider the extent of each, so like if you talk about supply-side policies (education and training) you could do an AD/AS diagram to show the rise but then evaluate it to talk about the time lag and the segmented labour markets. Of course, remember to link back to immobility of labour- this could be geographical or occupational in this question I guess.

That make sense?:smile:
Reply 185
"Discuss the extent to which non-pecuniary benefits may affect the supply of labour to various occupations" anyone?
Original post by **Heart & Soul**
That would actually be really helpful :smile: i'm actually finding this unit harder than the last

Lol I'm quite the opposite, F585 had so much more content!

Nonetheless, if you're up tonight do you want to Skype? Preferably go over Contestability (for leisure markets) and then go over pretty much all of Labour Markets; hitting key areas such as "Factors influencing demand/PED for Labour and then supply/PES for Labour"

Message me (or anyone else) if you're up for it! #allnightermethinks
Could anybody be incredibly helpful by listing all the diagrams we need to know for this exam. Also for the backward slopping supply curve I've see amount of labour surely it should be hours worked as it's showing the income/ substitution effect between wage and hours worked i.e at a higher wage rate workers can achieve a target income by working less hours thus the income effect starts to dominate could someone verify the above for me I'd be extremely greatful
Lol I'm quite the opposite, F585 had so much more content!

Nonetheless, if you're up tonight do you want to Skype? Preferably go over Contestability (for leisure markets) and then go over pretty much all of Labour Markets; hitting key areas such as "Factors influencing demand/PED for Labour and then supply/PES for Labour"

Message me (or anyone else) if you're up for it! #allnightermethinks

Yo, lets do it. Skype ID: liory.yun
Hello, does anyone have a set structure for the 15 mark 20 mark essays, despite what the question is, one that they could base any response off? Would be really helpful thank you
Original post by Fusionlc
Could anybody be incredibly helpful by listing all the diagrams we need to know for this exam. Also for the backward slopping supply curve I've see amount of labour surely it should be hours worked as it's showing the income/ substitution effect between wage and hours worked i.e at a higher wage rate workers can achieve a target income by working less hours thus the income effect starts to dominate could someone verify the above for me I'd be extremely greatful

Yes, you are correct about the income and substitution effect.

Diagrams to my opinion might include: monopolistic SR & LR, monopoly, oligopoly, supply and demand forlabour, backward bending curve, monopsony, NMW.

That's all I can think of
Reply 191
Anyone can help me with this essay :frown::
"Discuss the extent to which non-pecuniary benefits may affect the supply of labour to various occupations"

I cant think of the evaluative points against this
:confused:
Original post by thunguyen168
Yes, you are correct about the income and substitution effect.

Diagrams to my opinion might include: monopolistic SR & LR, monopoly, oligopoly, supply and demand forlabour, backward bending curve, monopsony, NMW.

That's all I can think of

Appreciate it, cheers
Original post by YAAM
Anyone can help me with this essay :frown::
"Discuss the extent to which non-pecuniary benefits may affect the supply of labour to various occupations"

I cant think of the evaluative points against this
:confused:

Think about it. You're analysing how non-PECUNIARY benefits will affect the supply of labour. So you're mentioning how better working conditions etc may attract a larger supply of labour. In your evaluation you should be talking about factor(s) which may impact on this and provide reasoning for why a non-PECUNIARY factor may not affect the supply of labour as much as originally expected. What other determinants play a role for workers in deciding whether to supply their labour to an occupation? I've already given you the clue
If anybody needs some good revision sources I'd suggest you check out these videos they are relatively easy to understand https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQbBh9Jn2IjcSPZOiNKJu0g
Reply 195
Original post by Fas
Think about it. You're analysing how non-PECUNIARY benefits will affect the supply of labour. So you're mentioning how better working conditions etc may attract a larger supply of labour. In your evaluation you should be talking about factor(s) which may impact on this and provide reasoning for why a non-PECUNIARY factor may not affect the supply of labour as much as originally expected. What other determinants play a role for workers in deciding whether to supply their labour to an occupation? I've already given you the clue

haha would that be those pecuniary factors?? so whether non-pecuniary benefits may affect the supply of labour depends on the wage rates?
Reply 196
Can anyone explain bargaining to me? there is just a small paragraph in the textbook and here is a question relating to it :frown:
"Analyse the impact of 2 forms of bargaining on the operation of the labour market."
The OCR W&L mark schemes might as well not be there. PILE OF SH*T
Does anyone have any sort of advice on how to answer the questions in section A, particularly the 8 markers? My teacher seems to have focused almost entirely on section B and in my mock I did pretty well on section B but I lost so many marks on section A :frown:
Reply 199
Original post by YAAM
Can anyone explain bargaining to me? there is just a small paragraph in the textbook and here is a question relating to it :frown:
"Analyse the impact of 2 forms of bargaining on the operation of the labour market."

You need to take two forms, like collective and local agreements, then analyse how they may impact on wages, elasticity and skills/productivity :smile: you could also maybe bring in some stuff about relative bargaining strength :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending