The Student Room Group

Psychology - Evaluation of the Gender Schema Theory of gender development?

I really do not understand what the gender schema theory of gender development is and the strengths and weaknesses of it.

I need at least 2 strengths/weaknesses.

Can one weakness be that it doesn't explain why some children are more gender schematized them others?

Thanks.
Original post by JadeCallosal
I really do not understand what the gender schema theory of gender development is and the strengths and weaknesses of it.

Can one weakness be that it doesn't explain why some children are more gender schematized them others?

Thanks.

Heya, I'm going to put this in the Psychology forum for you as you should get more responses there. :smile:

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=211
Reply 2
Original post by JadeCallosal

Thanks.

Yeah your weakness is right.
Another weakness for this theory is that it cannot account for two year old's strong preference for toys,friends and activities that are gender related, because at this age (gender labeling) children still think that they could grow up to be somebody of the opposite sex.
Original post by maya_xo
Yeah your weakness is right.
Another weakness for this theory is that it cannot account for two year old's strong preference for toys,friends and activities that are gender related, because at this age (gender labeling) children still think that they could grow up to be somebody of the opposite sex.

Okay, thank you!

Also, could you explain to me what the gender schema theory actually is? I don't understand it. Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending