The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

you would use the laffer curve as evaluation as to why raising taxes may not reduce a fiscal deficit right?
Original post by ThatGirlYasmin
you would use the laffer curve as evaluation as to why raising taxes may not reduce a fiscal deficit right?

Yes. If the government raises tax too much then this acts as a disincentive to work and causes high earners to move abroad to a country with a more favourable tax rate. Therefore, tax revenue would decline.
How does globalisation causes inequality between developed and developing countries? ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juseejay
It's all practice.. After a good 6 essays and possibly 3 data response, you will start grasping the concept. Believe me!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh, hopefully. Do you want to do, Q & A?
Reply 224
How does free trade and exploiting your comparative advantage lead to growth and development?
Reply 225
Predictions on this guys?
Original post by Benlm9
Im pretty sure that it doesn't matter which way round you argue your point as long as you get a supported argument and evaluation in as the other side of the argument.

I think when answering any question on Development you should base it around the 3 components of the HDI.

So reducing the amount of people living in absolute poverty may increase life expectancy at birth as people will be able to live longer with the increase in their income because of being able to afford basic needs like food, shelter and clean water etc. However you may suggest that although consumers now have incomes of above £1.25 (absolute poverty line set by the world bank) they still will not be able to afford all of the basic necessities, especially not expensive medicines etc.

Reducing the level of people living in absolute poverty may also increase the average years of schooling as more families can afford schooling for there children and can survive without sending them to work in order to earn a small income for the family. I would struggle to evaluate this point directly however so may use a generic "absolute poverty may not be a sufficient measure as it is too generalised etc".

Increasing incomes will also improve the final component of HDI; GDP at purchasing power parity, because people will have more income and therefore consume more leading to a shift outwards of AD and also a positive multiplier effect. You could evaluate this point however with the theory of worsening hyperinflation in a county like Nigeria as an increase in consumption is likely to contribute to this.

I guess you could also talk about a possibility of an decreased savings gap leading to a greater capital accumulation in the future, further improving development, however thats relatively unlikely considering these consumers are still on very low incomes and will most likely still have a very high marginal propensity to consume.

In terms of the blue text, I'm guessing maybe its an answer that needs to be applied or maybe its QWC.

Hope that helps..

Thank you that does help :smile:, gives me a good idea of what I need to be doing. I guess those points that I thought were small can be expanded, I think that's what I need to work on.
Original post by Ehawks
Which one of you lovely people would like to explain quantitive easing to me please? :smile:

Quantitative easing is when the central bank buys up government bonds and corporate bonds, this will mean that commercial banks will have more deposits thus giving them the ability to lend more easily to private and business corporations.
Evaluations include: Japan, banks may still not lend, can cause a huge bout of inflation due to increase in money supply and depreciation in exchange rate.
Could someone please explain how the foreign exchange gap is a constraint to growth and development? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys for the data response does our application have to be from the text? I thought we can use examples from our own knowledge.
Sure let's do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by holly.briggs
Ahh, hopefully. Do you want to do, Q & A?

Sure let's do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone explain this to me please. The question from a DRQ was:
To what extent are large trade imbalances a cause for concern? (12 marks)
And in the mark scheme one of the analysis points was this:
'Financial inflows from surplus countries to western capital markets led to asset price bubbles and to financial institutions taking
excessive risks (could count as 2 points)'
What does this mean?

Thanks
For constraints on economic growth and development such as primary product dependancy, debt. Could theses also be causes of poverty in developing countries?

Also for causes of inequality/ poverty in developed countries could they be the same points e.g unemployment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why do trade imbalances occur?
Original post by Farringtonn
For constraints on economic growth and development such as primary product dependancy, debt. Could theses also be causes of poverty in developing countries?

Also for causes of inequality/ poverty in developed countries could they be the same points e.g unemployment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course they could as long as it's clearly linked to the question. So how would you link primary product dependency to poverty for example?
Original post by Farringtonn

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some can yes such as corruption within the government and high inequality and also debt. It depends on what type of poverty and how you would relate it to poverty
Guys can anyone tell me the actual value for national debt as % of GDP? Some websites say 73/74% others say 90% :confused:
Original post by Dilzo999
Guys can anyone tell me the actual value for national debt as % of GDP? Some websites say 73/74% others say 90% :confused:

91%. I'm using 2013 data for this exam...

Posted from TSR Mobile
What data are u learning cuz I'm so stuck on what facts and figures we need to know :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending