The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Judge Jasel
Hey guys,

been a while since I looked here, so I decided to start something new. What are the anime titles you're looking forward to this summer? What title(s) are you watching now?

Also, anyone here who's seen/read Gokukoku no Brynhildr got any thoughts on it?

Hello! :wavey:

I'm really liking the current Spring season, and have 19 series on the go in total. :biggrin: Here's a full list, but the new series highlights for me would have to be Knights of Sidonia, Break Blade TV, Hitsugi no Chaika, and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, while Hunter x Hunter and Yowamushi Pedal continue to be excellent as well. :yes:

The Summer season, I'm not so enthusiastic about. Plenty of sequels of interest (Sengoku Basara, Kuroshítsuji, Hamatora, Free!, Persona 4), but only a couple of new series have caught my interest based on promo art and synopses, with the rest looking average at best. I'll watch the first episodes of everything to give them all a chance, though. :smile:

I'm watching Gokukoku no Brynhildr, and if you'd asked a few weeks ago then I might have included it in my list of highlights... but I've found the plot (while still interesting) seems to be getting sidelined more and more each week, while the level of inappropriate fanservice and generic ecchi comedy is becoming more prominent. I've found the last couple of episodes painful to watch. :s:
Original post by It's a Classic
Hey hey! I've been watching Anime off and on recently; just finished a number of the mainstream "popular" ones. (e.g. Death Note, Cowboy Bepop, Code Geass, Monster, Hellsing Ultimate, Samurai Champloo, etc - All that good stuff) Anyone know of a serious, thought-provoking Anime with an interesting protagonist that they could recommend? :h: Thanks!

Kara no Kyoukai movies!
Reply 6902
[video="youtube;v9Ft3viBgtQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Ft3viBgtQ[/video]

Oh my gosh, my childhood show is back :O. I'm anticipating this :biggrin:. One thing that's bugging me is the art. They made the bodies so thin!!

Who's excited for this? most probably me XD
Original post by Lt93
Oh my gosh, my childhood show is back :O. I'm anticipating this :biggrin:. One thing that's bugging me is the art. They made the bodies so thin!!

I'm not sure I'd have the patience for fortnightly episodes... though I will probably use the hype as an excuse to finally get hold of the first anime series, and watch that instead. :yes:
Is Eden of the east any good?

Original post by Lt93
[video="youtube;v9Ft3viBgtQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Ft3viBgtQ[/video]

My sister told me that I used to watch sailor moon with her yet I can't remember anything XD. I'll probably watch it again at some point :P.
(edited 9 years ago)
Started Tentai Senshi Sunred 2, several years after watching the first at Aber Anime - highly amusing stuff! :giggle: I should probably watch more shorts, they make for a nice change of pace, and these days there seems to be a lot more new ones each season. :beard:
Reply 6906
Been a while since I've posted here, so figured I'd quickly relay my thoughts on what I'm watching.

Baby Steps has all of the markers of a good sport shounen series. It's not quite Major yet, but it's definitely showing signs of it.

Black Bullet has had its up and downs, largely due to its pacing and subsequent plot holes that have been seemingly brushed aside for the time being, but the action has been good and the characters are likeable enough.

Blade and Soul started off reasonably strong, but seems to have sizzled down somewhat. I'll carry on watching, but the plot is enticing me less than it did.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou maintains the balance between romance and comedy well. It's just a shame that the animation dips from time to time, especially considering that normally it's very good.

Brynhildr in the Darkness has kept my interest for its run. The underlying understanding that the characters are never safe and could potentially die at any moment is the main reason for this. As AJ mentioned, it's just a shame that they're focusing less on the main plot and more on the episodic shenanigans that contribute very little. That said, it contrasts with the main plot, which brings about an unsettling feeling.

Seikoku no Dragonar is highly generic and the plot has not amounted to anything great. I'm still watching this because it's amusing enough and easy to process.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Selector Infected WIXOSS has this sinister undertone that perpetuates every episode. The recent revelation has definitely upped the ante. I wasn't sure where they would take this and was concerned it would become your typical game based anime with a twist, but I'm liking the direction so far.

Sidonia no Kishi is probably one of the best series I have on at the moment. Everything from the plot to the characterisation has, for the most part, been very good, in my view. My only gripe is that occasionally the pacing can seem a bit quick, to the extent that it's a bit difficult to process everything that's going on (referring to a particular flashback recently that I had to watch more than once to fully understand). The animation is nothing short of fantastic, especially during the battle scenes. The SFX and soundtrack is also really good. This CGI style is an acquired taste, but it's one I'm definitely starting to accept in a positive light.

Mahouka is probably the anime I look forward to watching the most each week. There's something about the characters and their interactions that I really like, especially when it concerns our 'badass' protagonist. The only slight issue is the lack of exposition on the world setting itself. We are assumed to understand what the characters are referring to, with little to no explanation. It's not a major issue, though. I understand the majority of it.

I'm also watching quite a few others, which you can find on my A-P list. I'm just running out of steam. :tongue: Until next time. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Anyone watching mekakucity actors ? It's pretty weird and confusing but at the same time interesting :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aiko
Been a while since I've posted here, so figured I'd quickly relay my thoughts on what I'm watching.

These update posts are always fun to read! :biggrin:

Glad to hear you're liking Sidonia no Kishi, as it does seem to have been overlooked by a lot of people (likely due to the animation, I'd assume). They're certainly squeezing a lot of material into each episode... though I reckon they'll only be about half way through the existing manga material by the end of the series, so I'm hoping for a sequel. :yes:

Personally, I'm finding that Blade and Soul is getting better each week! The animation and pacing are still all over the place, and the plot and scripts have never been spectacular, but I like the darker tone of the more recent episodes. :evil:

Gokukoku no Brynhildr is really starting to lose my interest, for reasons already stated - yesterday's 10th episode didn't help in the slightest. :no:

I agree that Black Bullet is variable. The first arc set a high standard that the rest of the series hasn't managed to live up to, IMO. Don't quite understand why it's so popular.

On the subject of unintelligably popular anime, I should mention that I've given in to peer pressure and picked up No Game No Life again (an ex-president of Aberanime literally pleaded with me to watch it, so what was I supposed to do!? :zomg:). The 8th and 9th episodes were good, I'll admit, but seeing as I was alternating between angry and bored stiff throughout the first half of the series, it still has a lot of work to do. :s-smilie: [EDIT] Oh, and if anyone here checks my blog's weekly rankings, don't expect to see NGNL there. I feel it's a bit late in the season to be throwing yet another series into the mix.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Numan786
Anyone watching mekakucity actors ? It's pretty weird and confusing but at the same time interesting :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Missed this post while typing my reply to Aiko. :redface: But yeah, as I mentioned a couple of pages back, I'm enjoying Mekaku City Actors, despite having very little idea of what's going on. :p:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lt93

I mean, I am extremely excited, but I also have to be *that* person :P
I'm sure that the transformation scenes and the weapons-using scenes will be really beautiful and awesome. Although that "Tsuki ni kawatte, oshioki yo!" bothers me. haha. *eye twitch*
No way that the voice acting can be as great as the original. And also I don't like the generic bouncy girls-singing-together song (OP?) that was used. And also there probably won't be as many incredible cartoony faces.
However, I heard that it will be more faithful to the manga, so I won't have to incessantly compare it to the original :P
I hope that it sells a lot so that more seasons are made and the Outer Senshi can be introduced. Also TUXEDO MASK <3 <3 <3
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Missed this post while typing my reply to Aiko. :redface: But yeah, as I mentioned a couple of pages back, I'm enjoying Mekaku City Actors, despite having very little idea of what's going on. :p:

Yeah lol and me being me I looked up what was happening and came across alot of spoilers but heck even with just watching the anime I wouldn't have been able to work it out for myself :tongue: haha. Do you understand what's going on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah lol and me being me I looked up what was happening and came across alot of spoilers but heck even with just watching the anime I wouldn't have been able to work it out for myself :tongue: haha. Do you understand what's going on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Vaguely, now that the link between the main plot and the story of the 'monster' featured at the end of each episode is being established. :hmmmm2:
Reply 6913
Vaguely, now that the link between the main plot and the story of the 'monster' featured at the end of each episode is being established. :hmmmm2:

Posted from TSR Mobile

is there anything in particular that confuses you guys about the story? i might be able to explain, it was really hard for me to understand too when i first got into it a year back, i had to read alot of guides to get it haha^-^

also i havent been catching up on the anime because of exams, but i heard the animation for episode 9 was awful (the opening, not the episode) and i looked at it on youtube and was pretty surprised because i didn't think shaft would do that o.o https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP4XKy58KhQ compared to series animation in general this seems a bit too strange to suddenly change into that, i wonder why they did it o.o the scenery and backgrounds look great, but the characters look odd...

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ayano
is there anything in particular that confuses you guys about the story? i might be able to explain, it was really hard for me to understand too when i first got into it a year back, i had to read alot of guides to get it haha^-^

also i havent been catching up on the anime because of exams, but i heard the animation for episode 9 was awful (the opening, not the episode) and i looked at it on youtube and was pretty surprised because i didn't think shaft would do that o.o https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP4XKy58KhQ compared to series animation in general this seems a bit too strange to suddenly change into that, i wonder why they did it o.o the scenery and backgrounds look great, but the characters look odd...

Cheers for the offer; I'll get back to you after the series is over, if I'm still confused about anything. For now I'd like to try and figure it out myself if at all possible, and would also like to avoid any spoilers. :yes:

The OP didn't really bother me, maybe because Knights of Sidonia has desensitised me to 3D anime? :giggle: I did laugh out of irony though, because I'd read a lot of comments from people beforehand hoping to see an improvement in animation quality following the end of Nisekoi. :p:
(edited 9 years ago)
Finally got around to seeing The Wind Rises. A rather enjoyable film tbh and much better than poppy hill in my opinion. The story was great, especially for history buffs like myself :tongue:

Other than that not been watching much due to a number of things. Carried on with FMA:B though.
Original post by ayano

Spoiler

Sorry just saw this notification now as i use the app and logged on browser version. Yeah ill wait till the series finishes too if I'm honest to see if I understand things hopefully I will :smile:
Reply 6917
I'm not sure I'd have the patience for fortnightly episodes... though I will probably use the hype as an excuse to finally get hold of the first anime series, and watch that instead. :yes:

Get ready for the cheesiness XD

Original post by Dilzo999
Is Eden of the east any good?

My sister told me that I used to watch sailor moon with her yet I can't remember anything XD. I'll probably
watch it again at some point :P.

Who doesn't like watching girls transform into pretty cute sailor outfits with magical powers XD

Original post by MJasper
I mean, I am extremely excited, but I also have to be *that* person :P
I'm sure that the transformation scenes and the weapons-using scenes will be really beautiful and awesome. Although that "Tsuki ni kawatte, oshioki yo!" bothers me. haha. *eye twitch*
No way that the voice acting can be as great as the original. And also I don't like the generic bouncy girls-singing-together song (OP?) that was used. And also there probably won't be as many incredible cartoony faces.
However, I heard that it will be more faithful to the manga, so I won't have to incessantly compare it to the original :P
I hope that it sells a lot so that more seasons are made and the Outer Senshi can be introduced. Also TUXEDO MASK <3 <3 <3

It's going to be magical *___*. Hahaha! I bet you'll recite the justice speech and doing the pose as well XD XD. I haven't read the manga so it'll be okay for me XD. Let's just wait and see :O. Oh my gosh! yes! Tuxedo mask! when I was yougner, I had a crush on him haha!. He was mysterious and obscure.
omg Ao Haru Ride :woo: one of my fave shoujo manga

And Love Stage. Hopefully it'll be at least as graphic as junjou :sexface:

Latest