The Student Room Group

Alternative to Architecture

A friend has been studying Physics, maths, Chemistry and Product Design for her AS. She is thinking about dropping Chemistry and progressing the other 3 options to hopefully do Architecture.

Just recently she has been having some uncertainties as to whether to progress with architecture. She is very creative and enjoys making things like 3-d models etc but she is concerned that her personality isn't suited to architecture due to all the client meetings and on-site meetings with builders and council planners.

I think that time at uni will prepare her for this as as she gets older she will grow in confidence to do the other parts that are involved, what do you think?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, if she decides to not go ahead with applying to do architecture she feels stuck now in deciding what to do with her A'level choices, not knowing whether to drop chemistry this autumn or keep it and look to doing something completely different like chemical engineering (but this seems too serious:tongue:).

Help:smile:, what should she do:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:, what other courses could she be interested in doing?

Cheers
Has she considered something like civil or structural engineering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
Has she considered something like civil or structural engineering?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your comments.

I am not sure there would be enough in there for her creative outlet (although neither is there in chemical engineering).
Original post by Grace by Yahweh
Thanks for your comments.

I am not sure there would be enough in there for her creative outlet (although neither is there in chemical engineering).

Engineering is one of the most creative subjects there is. Although it's also very technical, so she may be more interested in something like art?
Original post by Smack
Engineering is one of the most creative subjects there is. Although it's also very technical, so she may be more interested in something like art?

She does have the basis to make an excellent engineer as she is good at maths and physics so this combined with product design might be the way she decides to go. Thank you
As a current architecture student, I can assure you all the client meetings and being on site really wouldn't be an issue! Part of the training process is about teaching you to effectively communicate your ideas to clients, contractors etc. Pretty much everyone on my course has grown to become incredibly confident in situations like these, through the steady stream of presentations etc. Plus, when you're on your years in practice, there'll be support in situations like these! - They're still part of the training process after all! :smile: Don't let her be put off just by that! :smile:
I'm currently studying Product design at Aston University which has a strong emphasis on the technical side of design and the engineering is strong as our studios are mixed so we the designers work with engineers but maintain our creative side too.. my friend choose to do the automotive module which meant he built a car in the first year in a team of engineers and designers it was great fun and he learnt loads, my girlfriend studies Architecture at Oxford Brookes which is really arty not technical at all, she is really shy and after 3 years she has not got over the fact she has to present her ideas constantly, which obviously you need as a skill.

It looks like she should ether study automotive design which Aston University is great at.

If she is going down the architecture route choose Bath University its really hands on and technical side you really do explore, if her maths is good. Bsc in Architecture for her.
Reply 7
A friend has been studying Physics, maths, Chemistry and Product Design for her AS. She is thinking about dropping Chemistry and progressing the other 3 options to hopefully do Architecture.

Just recently she has been having some uncertainties as to whether to progress with architecture. She is very creative and enjoys making things like 3-d models etc but she is concerned that her personality isn't suited to architecture due to all the client meetings and on-site meetings with builders and council planners.

I think that time at uni will prepare her for this as as she gets older she will grow in confidence to do the other parts that are involved, what do you think?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, if she decides to not go ahead with applying to do architecture she feels stuck now in deciding what to do with her A'level choices, not knowing whether to drop chemistry this autumn or keep it and look to doing something completely different like chemical engineering (but this seems too serious:tongue:).

Help:smile:, what should she do:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:, what other courses could she be interested in doing?

Cheers

Some sort of design subject certainly seems the route to me. Not an engineering type degree from what you have described as the same reason why not to do architecture applies
Original post by clareyyyyyyy
As a current architecture student, I can assure you all the client meetings and being on site really wouldn't be an issue! Part of the training process is about teaching you to effectively communicate your ideas to clients, contractors etc. Pretty much everyone on my course has grown to become incredibly confident in situations like these, through the steady stream of presentations etc. Plus, when you're on your years in practice, there'll be support in situations like these! - They're still part of the training process after all! :smile: Don't let her be put off just by that! :smile:

Thank you, all useful stuff, I'll pass it on:smile:
Thank you, all useful stuff, I'll pass it on:smile:

No probs!

Original post by Aston_lovers
my girlfriend studies Architecture at Oxford Brookes which is really arty not technical at all, she is really shy and after 3 years she has not got over the fact she has to present her ideas constantly, which obviously you need as a skill.

If she is going down the architecture route choose Bath University its really hands on and technical side you really do explore, if her maths is good. Bsc in Architecture for her.

Worth noting that just because it's a Bsc, doesn't mean it's technical (though you're right, Bath is) - but the Bartlett (UCL) is also a Bsc and probably one of the most conceptual arty courses out there! :smile:

Also, it really does depend on where you go as to what you get out of it (not bashing Brookes I promise!) - courses in architecture are so varied that people have wildly different experiences! :smile:
Original post by clareyyyyyyy
No probs!

Worth noting that just because it's a Bsc, doesn't mean it's technical (though you're right, Bath is) - but the Bartlett (UCL) is also a Bsc and probably one of the most conceptual arty courses out there! :smile:

Also, it really does depend on where you go as to what you get out of it (not bashing Brookes I promise!) - courses in architecture are so varied that people have wildly different experiences! :smile:

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant - cheers:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest