The Student Room Group

OCR Government and Politics F851

Hey everyone,
If you, like me, sat the F851 Government and Politics exam with OCR today, I'd like to hear your feedback on how the exam went for you. I personally found 1a hard, 1b was quite hard and 2 and 3 were ok (on the whole). In my opinion, it was an okish paper, but certainly not nearly the easiest or 'nicest' paper they've written.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by WelshDragon23
Hey everyone,
If you, like me, sat the F851 Government and Politics exam with OCR today, I'd like to hear your feedback on how the exam went for you. I personally found 1a hard, 1b was quite hard and 2 and 3 were ok (on the whole). In my opinion, it was an okish paper, but certainly not nearly the easiest or 'nicest' paper they've written.

Hello! I found the questions quite nice but purely because I had gone over elections of party leaders the night before! I did question 5 which was what I was hoping for so hopefully it'll be okay! Any ideas of what will come up on Thursday?
Original post by Alpie
Hello! I found the questions quite nice but purely because I had gone over elections of party leaders the night before! I did question 5 which was what I was hoping for so hopefully it'll be okay! Any ideas of what will come up on Thursday?

Resitting Thursday's paper. Got a C last year (poor preparation), B in AS overall (A in politics paper). Aiming for an overall A in the A-level so aiming for around 80-85 UMS. I have no idea what might come up for Thursday. I'm hoping that the constitution question will be easier because I am useless at the judiciary and wasn't taught the EU.
Reply 3
So far I feel like I'll be resitting everything.. I just hope the govt. paper won't be too nasty

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did you guys find it? Thought that the compulsories were amazing, wasn't too pleased with the constitution question though..
Reply 5
Can anyone remember the questions for this? :smile:
Reply 6
Is anyone sitting the A2 paper next week? I'm struggling to find anyone who isn't sitting the Edexcel paper!
Reply 7
Original post by Alpie
Is anyone sitting the A2 paper next week? I'm struggling to find anyone who isn't sitting the Edexcel paper!

i am! are you doing OCR f853 and f855?
Reply 8
Original post by omega25
i am! are you doing OCR f853 and f855?

Yes I am.. Not sure how they're going to go tbh.. I have philosophy crammed in between so my head is slowly frying itself!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Alpie
Yes I am.. Not sure how they're going to go tbh.. I have philosophy crammed in between so my head is slowly frying itself!

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah i had german today just before politics :/ how did you find it?
Reply 10
Original post by omega25
yeah i had german today just before politics :/ how did you find it?

Ouch, I hope it went okay for you! Could've been worse.. Ended up attempting the presidential failure question, not sure that was a good move! How did it go for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Alpie
Ouch, I hope it went okay for you! Could've been worse.. Ended up attempting the presidential failure question, not sure that was a good move! How did it go for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah thanks, same with you and philosophy! oh yeah same, that was the last one i did and it was absolutely awful... i think compulsory was okay, i did presidential nominations cos that was a blessing and i did the federalism question but i don't know if i actually answered the question they asked.. oh well! which other questions did you do?
Reply 12
Original post by omega25
ah thanks, same with you and philosophy! oh yeah same, that was the last one i did and it was absolutely awful... i think compulsory was okay, i did presidential nominations cos that was a blessing and i did the federalism question but i don't know if i actually answered the question they asked.. oh well! which other questions did you do?

Woah I think you're brave tackling a federalism question.. I avoided it like the plague! I answered the political party question and the pressure group and pluralist question but I definitely didn't answer them as well as I could have.. not sure how I'm going to be able to revise everything I need for tomorrow's paper - are you revising just a few topics?
Reply 13
Original post by Alpie
Woah I think you're brave tackling a federalism question.. I avoided it like the plague! I answered the political party question and the pressure group and pluralist question but I definitely didn't answer them as well as I could have.. not sure how I'm going to be able to revise everything I need for tomorrow's paper - are you revising just a few topics?

yeah it wasn't my finest decision... ah see i went in thinking I'm going to do pressure groups and then i looked at the question and panicked, i probably could've done it if id had more time to actually think it through but i didn't, and yeah same don't worry :') yeah I'm only revising 4 or so. i HAVE to do pressure groups this time, i know so much and they only ask two types of questions on them! and I've done legislature, constitution, judiciary and half of the executive stuff cos i don't understand the rest a haha. what topics do you think you'll do?
Reply 14
Original post by omega25
yeah it wasn't my finest decision... ah see i went in thinking I'm going to do pressure groups and then i looked at the question and panicked, i probably could've done it if id had more time to actually think it through but i didn't, and yeah same don't worry :') yeah I'm only revising 4 or so. i HAVE to do pressure groups this time, i know so much and they only ask two types of questions on them! and I've done legislature, constitution, judiciary and half of the executive stuff cos i don't understand the rest a haha. what topics do you think you'll do?

Well seeing as I revised my butt off for philosophy and the exam was atrocious I'm lacking in motivation to do the same for tomorrow's paper.. but I am trying to cram elections/constitutions/pressure groups & parties/ legislatures into my brain.. whether or not its working, who knows?!
Oh, when you say that they only ask two types of question for pressure groups, what would they happen to be?
Reply 15
Original post by Alpie
Well seeing as I revised my butt off for philosophy and the exam was atrocious I'm lacking in motivation to do the same for tomorrow's paper.. but I am trying to cram elections/constitutions/pressure groups & parties/ legislatures into my brain.. whether or not its working, who knows?!
Oh, when you say that they only ask two types of question for pressure groups, what would they happen to be?

ahh I'm sure it went better than you think! aha, yeah i feel you.. well its three really: pros and cons in democracy, why are they important (which is basically pros) and factors contributing to their success
Reply 16
Hey guys! I also have F855 tomorrow eeeeeeeeeeeek. :eek: Do you have the June 2013 questions? What topics are you guys revising?:smile:
Reply 17
Original post by AH_
Hey guys! I also have F855 tomorrow eeeeeeeeeeeek. :eek: Do you have the June 2013 questions? What topics are you guys revising?:smile:

1. Discuss the view that every electoral system has significant disadvantages

2. Assess the claim that ideological convergence between political parties has come to an end

3. Discuss the view that the attitude of the government is the most important factor influencing the effectiveness of a pressure group

4. To what extent is there too great an emphasis on the protection of individual rights and liberties in modern democracies?

5. Unwritten constitutions place too much power in the hands of the legislature. Discuss

6. To what extent do legislatures represent the interests of political parties rather than the interests of the public?

7. The relationship with the legislature is the key factor in determining the effectiveness of a chief executive. Discuss

8. Discuss the claim that judiciaries today have assumed a greater political significance

:smile:
Reply 18
Original post by omega25
ahh I'm sure it went better than you think! aha, yeah i feel you.. well its three really: pros and cons in democracy, why are they important (which is basically pros) and factors contributing to their success

Ooo, I hope a nice pressure group question comes up I really do!
Reply 19
Original post by Alpie
1. Discuss the view that every electoral system has significant disadvantages

2. Assess the claim that ideological convergence between political parties has come to an end

3. Discuss the view that the attitude of the government is the most important factor influencing the effectiveness of a pressure group

4. To what extent is there too great an emphasis on the protection of individual rights and liberties in modern democracies?

5. Unwritten constitutions place too much power in the hands of the legislature. Discuss

6. To what extent do legislatures represent the interests of political parties rather than the interests of the public?

7. The relationship with the legislature is the key factor in determining the effectiveness of a chief executive. Discuss

8. Discuss the claim that judiciaries today have assumed a greater political significance

:smile:

thank you so much, youre a star!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending