The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emfp21
My teacher said half a sub division, another one said a whole sub division :/
Anyone???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did they say why because it doesn't say anything in the source that would suggest an uncertainty that large?
Reply 41
Original post by emfp21
My teacher said half a sub division, another one said a whole sub division :/
Anyone???

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, I'm not really sure how you could get such an uncertainty unless there were issues when reading the measurements (vision problems) but that isn't really relevant. I'd also think that the uncertainty would be the thickness of the trace because ultimately that value will effect your readings. I'm not entirely sure though, I could be wrong.
Original post by Mutleybm1996
Do you have the links?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I was on mobile before so I couldn't put the links in

https://www.youtube.com/user/diggitydev

and

https://www.youtube.com/user/DrPhysicsA

http://www.examsolutions.net/
( super helpful for the mechanics side of things calculations and stuff)

hope this helps it has been a lifesaver for me :smile:
Reply 43
We just had some questions, one was estimate the uncertainty in time/voltage measurements, hence estimate uncertainty in the frequency calculations

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alicerose2

hope this helps it has been a lifesaver for me :smile:

did you make many notes?, I make them but dont understand them :L

videos are the way forward
Guys, click on the link below and scroll to the bottom, there are questions and answers for predicted section C questions :smile:
Original post by shloke123
Guys, click on the link below and scroll to the bottom, there are questions and answers for predicted section C questions :smile:

Where is the link? You tease :frown:
Any last advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
By the way, does the answer always have to be the exact numerical answer given in the mark scheme?
Can your answer be very close but only different as you used different significant figures?
I'm doing the June 2009 paper, question 9.a) iv) and I cannot get the answer that they want. They want 0.054 W and I'm not getting answers that round to this exact number.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/59857-question-paper-unit-g492-understanding-processes-experimentation-and-data-handling.pdf
Does anyone know how to do this?

L= 110.0 ±0.1 cm, T=2.10±0.5 sec (where the uncertainty is due to the reaction time)

Based on these measurements, what is the value of g and what is the maximum value the of the uncertainty in g?

Reply 50
Does anyone else think that the number of significant figures required by the mark scheme is quite inconsistent? It ranges from 2 s.f. to even 4 s.f. Does the number of s.f. depend on context or is there a set number we should round to?
Reply 51
Original post by Mutleybm1996
Any last advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

just try not to cry
Original post by LimbuRonit
Does anyone know how to do this?

L= 110.0 ±0.1 cm, T=2.10±0.5 sec (where the uncertainty is due to the reaction time)

Based on these measurements, what is the value of g and what is the maximum value the of the uncertainty in g?

Rearrange the equation given in the stimulus to get g=(4pi^2L)/T. Plug in L and T to get g. The max uncertainty will be when the largest L by the smallest T so plug in 110.1 for L and 1.6 for T. The difference between them is the uncertainty.

*edit: should be divided by T^2 in equation and L is in cm so remember to divide by 100 :smile:

does that help?
Original post by theoaze
Does anyone else think that the number of significant figures required by the mark scheme is quite inconsistent? It ranges from 2 s.f. to even 4 s.f. Does the number of s.f. depend on context or is there a set number we should round to?

It depends on the context to a certain extent but as a general rule I'd say 2sf is most commonly I'm the ms. However, it does say that any sensible number of sf is acceptable which depends on the question
Reply 54
Does anyone have any useful material for section c? I'm really worried about this section...
Predictions on content?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Carla Huynh
Rearrange the equation given in the stimulus to get g=(4pi^2L)/T. Plug in L and T to get g. The max uncertainty will be when the largest L by the smallest T so plug in 110.1 for L and 1.6 for T. The difference between them is the uncertainty.

*edit: should be divided by T^2 in equation and L is in cm so remember to divide by 100 :smile:

does that help?

I thought the formula for is ....g=4pi^2m (m=gradient)
???
Original post by LimbuRonit
I thought the formula for is ....g=4pi^2m (m=gradient)
???

4pi^2 / m

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bonzo123
did you make many notes?, I make them but dont understand them :L

videos are the way forward

I made notes in class but i haven't even looked at them they are so shocking! do you have the revision guide? That is pretty handy at explaining things too as long as you don't mind the shock of HELL WE HAVE NOT COVERED THIS IN CLASS I AM BUMMED. ( I am getting this a lot and end up frantically goggling):frown:
Original post by alicerose2
I made notes in class but i haven't even looked at them they are so shocking! do you have the revision guide? That is pretty handy at explaining things too as long as you don't mind the shock of HELL WE HAVE NOT COVERED THIS IN CLASS I AM BUMMED. ( I am getting this a lot and end up frantically goggling):frown:

You'll be ok! How did you find unit 1?

Physics teachers are generally pretty rubbish at explaining things, Biology and Chemistry all the way :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending