The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How do you link stuff to economic development? I mean it's easy to state points and expand on them but in most cases it's pretty self evident how they affect development. For example high inequality affects development since it's actually part of the definition of development to promote equity. But my teacher still says I have to link it to development explicitly. So how would you link something like inequality or poor health to development?
Reply 261
Original post by aminkaram
Guys has there been an essay question on Costs Vs Benefits of FDI? I'm gonna pray it happens if there hasn't been one yet.

What are the cost/benefits of fdi ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you've got your causes and results the wrong way round. Would someone confirm?

In the theory if a country has a current account deficit in particular on the trade of goods, it should lead to the value of the currency decreasing / depreciating. The reason this should happen is it means that the demand for the currency is far less than the supply of currency.

Demand on the currency is far less due to the low demand for the country's exports meaning that not many countries are demanding goods from this particular country, therefore, the demand of the currency is decreased as in order to buy goods from another currency you have to convert your own currency into the other country's currency.

And it also means that they are importing far more of goods from other countries, increasing the supply of their currency as people use other currencies to buy goods and services from other countries.

However, in the real world this theory normally doesn't take affect, as the value of a currency is more influenced by idea of hot money flows and other transactions that take place in the capital and financial account. For example, the UK operates a trade deficit, however, has a strong currency relative to currencies across the World
Original post by Spartz
What are the cost/benefits of fdi ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's lots I can think of. The ones I would use for an essay would probably be:
Benefits:
1. investment and the harrod domar model
2. employment and growth
3. tax revenue
4. exports improve current account
Costs:
1. they might bring their own employees and there may be exploitation
2. They may avoid paying taxes, gain tax holidays, political power etc.
3. Local firms will be unable to compete
4. profits may be repatriated so financial account worsens.
Original post by chloe_t
Hey everyone.

I am feeling really worried about this unit - I really need to get an A overall in Economics to meet my uni offer. At this point, I dont know if I'll meet it as I don't feel that confident for Econ4 and haven't revised as much as I'd have liked. Also, I only have the rest of today to revise for it as I have Chem4 on Monday and FP1 on Tuesday before Econ4.

I have read through my revision guide, but I'm not sure how much of it I have committed to memory. I'm currently going through a past paper as well, but I don't know whether to focus on learning/memorising as much knowledge as possible or reading through mark schemes to pick up points? What are you guys doing for revision?

Same position but I did Fp1 last year so I have S1 before Econ 4.
I think I will at least plan out all my answers to the papers if I can't do them all and read the revision guide a few times, memorising key definitions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 265
For the 20 and 30 marker
20 mark - 3 points, 2/3 eval. I tend to evaluate each point as I go along. 2 is required for maximum marks
30 marker - similar. 4 points, 3/4 eval. 3 is required for max marks. Stick in a definition or explain the concept in the question if you can e.g. Poverty, globalisation etc

And when they mention "a country of your choice" always do mention one or you'll be severely capped!! If like me, you've stupidly done no research or case studies, just think smartly :colone: If you're talking about a developing country, apply relevant points such as primary product dependency, corruption etc. Statistics are not required, as long as you know what you're talking about it should be fine
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ff96
For the 20 and 30 marker
20 mark - 3 points, 2/3 eval. I tend to evaluate each point as I go along. 2 is required for maximum marks
30 marker - similar. 4 points, 3/4 eval. 3 is required for max marks. Stick in a definition or explain the concept in the question if you can e.g. Poverty, globalisation etc

And when they mention "a country of your choice" always do mention one or you'll be severely capped!! If like me, you've stupidly done no research or case studies, just think smartly :colone: If you're talking about a developing country, apply relevant points such as primary product dependency, corruption etc. Statistics are not required, as long as you know what you're talking about it should be fine

The thing is, do all 20/30 markers require data or is it just a few?
Reply 267
Original post by Dilzo999
The thing is, do all 20/30 markers require data or is it just a few?

Most of the time they don't, I've realised it's the growth and development questions that require some sort of knowledge on another country (hence why I intend to steer clear of this in the exam) but after doing some past papers I've realised knowing some stuff about the EU can really help you boost your marks!
I hope there's an essay on competitiveness or surplus/defecit. I don't like the development stuff or trading blocs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Farringtonn
I hope there's an essay on competitiveness or surplus/defecit. I don't like the development stuff or trading blocs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surplus / Deficit would be good. Competitiveness I could probably manage if it came up as a 20 marker. I run out of evaluation points if it gets to 30 marks. What would your points be? By the way doubt it will come up since it came up last year :frown:
I really hope FDI comes up. Like one question being the benefits to the firm for the 20 marker and a second question being benefits to the country.
Reply 270
Surplus / Deficit would be good. Competitiveness I could probably manage if it came up as a 20 marker. I run out of evaluation points if it gets to 30 marks. What would your points be? By the way doubt it will come up since it came up last year :frown:
I really hope FDI comes up. Like one question being the benefits to the firm for the 20 marker and a second question being benefits to the country.

Competitiveness is the best essay ever! It's so synoptic with unit 2. You can talk about value of currency, education and training, labour costs, regulation, etc.. And argue either way. Then evaluate by speaking about opportunity cost, time lag, short term/long term, how regulation is needed, basically general knowledge

Ooh FDI! I wouldn't know what to say about that if there was a whole essay on that :frown:

Last year I think it was deficit/surplus, so maybe it could be factors that influence competitiveness such as unit labour costs. Hasn't come up since 2010 I don't think :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So scared for this exam
Really need to get a B in this exam to get an A overall but I struggle with application in essays. Plus I have 4 exams this week so can't do as much revision as I'd hoped. Does anyone have any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 274
Really need to get a B in this exam to get an A overall but I struggle with application in essays. Plus I have 4 exams this week so can't do as much revision as I'd hoped. Does anyone have any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in the exact same position as you :c the good thing about unit 4 is you can slyly fluke it and bring in anything from the other 3 units, so as long as you know your theory you should be fine. Evaluation is crucial. And uh, don't panic!
Original post by Ff96
I'm in the exact same position as you :c the good thing about unit 4 is you can slyly fluke it and bring in anything from the other 3 units, so as long as you know your theory you should be fine. Evaluation is crucial. And uh, don't panic!

Unit 3 didn't go as well as it could so there's more pressure! It's just trying to revise everything. Any tips for getting the application marks? I think it's 4 and 6 for the essays.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 276
Unit 3 didn't go as well as it could so there's more pressure! It's just trying to revise everything. Any tips for getting the application marks? I think it's 4 and 6 for the essays.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah don't worry, unit 4 is 60% of the a2 (both a bad and good thing). Use every figure and extract they've given you, everything they've given they chose specifically as it's relevant. Easy marks to pick up if you can link it to the question. Use figures in the graphs to back up your points and strengthen your answer. And I can't stress how important evaluation is D:
Reply 277
Original post by Ff96
Ah don't worry, unit 4 is 60% of the a2 (both a bad and good thing). Use every figure and extract they've given you, everything they've given they chose specifically as it's relevant. Easy marks to pick up if you can link it to the question. Use figures in the graphs to back up your points and strengthen your answer. And I can't stress how important evaluation is D:

Sorry I couldnt help but stalk your profile, I noticed that you have an offer from LSE, congrats! Thats amazing and hope you get in :smile:
Reply 278
Original post by Swaany
Sorry I couldnt help but stalk your profile, I noticed that you have an offer from LSE, congrats! Thats amazing and hope you get in :smile:

Thank you! *huge grin on face* good luck to you too :biggrin:
Foreign exchange gap? Why is it a limit to growth? :/

Thanks....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending