The Student Room Group

Anyone get into medicine at London with 4A*s at GCSE?

I am in year 12 now and I really want to apply to a university in London but I don't know if I'm good enough to go because I only got 4A*s at GCSE but I am predicted all A/A*s at A levels. I'm wondering if anyone has got an offer from a London university with these grades.
Reply 1
Your GCSEs should be fine for most places but they aren't really what make or break an application (aside from maybe Kings college london)

More importantly, what's your work experience/voluntary work situation like?
Are you enjoying your A levels so far? Hopefully you are, if not, learn to love them and actually get those As, predictions aren't real grades.
Leave enough time to sufficiently prepare for the UKCAT and/or BMAT exams, you cannot cram them. Doing well is more akin to muscle memory than strength in my experience.

Most importantly, is it more important for you to do Medicine or study at a London university? If your priorities are in order, hopefully it is the former :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by SuparNoob
Your GCSEs should be fine for most places but they aren't really what make or break an application (aside from maybe Kings college london)

More importantly, what's your work experience/voluntary work situation like?
Are you enjoying your A levels so far? Hopefully you are, if not, learn to love them and actually get those As, predictions aren't real grades.
Leave enough time to sufficiently prepare for the UKCAT and/or BMAT exams, you cannot cram them. Doing well is more akin to muscle memory than strength in my experience.

Most importantly, is it more important for you to do Medicine or study at a London university? If your priorities are in order, hopefully it is the former :smile:

Thank you :smile: Medicine is definitely my passion but I do really wish to have at least one London university as one of my choices.
I volunteer at a school for disabled children, I am doing work experience at a hospital and I work part-time at a children's learning centre. I have also previously worked for a summer autism play scheme and at a charity shop.
Reply 3
Also, don't apply to Birmingham because they also take into account GCSE grades, and you get people with over 9 A*s applying there
Reply 4
I also have 4a*s at GCSEs and I'm applying for medicine this year. I definitely wouldn't apply to places like Birmingham and one of the staff at Kings told me to take their foundation year given my grades as they want students with 5-6a* minimum. Apply tactfully and studying in London will definitely not make or break you. There are some great unis outside of London.

Good luck on your application!
Not in London but have an offer at UEA. I deliberately didnt apply to London unis cause I wanted a change of scenery :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuparNoob

UCL and Imperial definitely do care about GCSEs and I'd argue that the standard of applicants would also be higher/competition is tougher.
Yeah OP I got an offer at kings with 4A*s

Original post by Eva.Gregoria
Not in London but have an offer at UEA. I deliberately didnt apply to London unis cause I wanted a change of scenery :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you didn't get an offer at a LONDON medical school, why are you posting in here? Show off :rolleyes:
No one cares why you didn't apply for London.
Original post by The pencil one
Yeah OP I got an offer at kings with 4A*s

If you didn't get an offer at a LONDON medical school, why are you posting in here? Show off :rolleyes:
No one cares why you didn't apply for London.

Show off? We're all show offs here, don't be a hypocrite, k?

Edit: Anyway, my point most of the unis that rely heavily on the GCSES are outside London.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Show off? We're all show offs here, don't be a hypocrite, k?

Edit: Anyway, my point most of the unis that rely heavily on the GCSES are outside London.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You showed off unnecessarily; it wasn't warranted. You're being the hypocrite...

Well state that point then in your initial post instead of giving an anecdote no one gives a **** about...
You showed off unnecessarily; it wasn't warranted. You're being the hypocrite...

Well state that point then in your initial post instead of giving an anecdote no one gives a **** about...

I don't care if I get carded for this, but stop being a ****ing knobhead.

The OP themselves aren't complaining, no one else is complaining, you just have to come here and stir up **** where I've done nothing wrong. Be grateful for your offer as I'm grateful for mine and kindly piss off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't care if I get carded for this, but stop being a ****ing knobhead.

The OP themselves aren't complaining, no one else is complaining, you just have to come here and stir up **** where I've done nothing wrong. Be grateful for your offer as I'm grateful for mine and kindly piss off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Women are too hot headed these guys, relax.

Just because no one complains off your showing off; doesn't mean it's needed or right.

Women.

plus this thread was made back in january
Women are too hot headed these guys, relax.

Just because no one complains off your showing off; doesn't mean it's needed or right.

Women.

plus this thread was made back in january

I wasn't the one who revived it so that point has nothing to do with me.

What you consider right is your own opinion so yeah. Keep it to yourself.

And what does me being a woman have to do with anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

did you get into medicine A100 the first time round with 4 A*s or did you take a gap year for UAE

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending