The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This whole team is a joke, the only reason half these english players shine is that they have world class talent around them in the premier league. Gerrard has Suarez, Rooney has Van Persie etc
Very broken game, not helpful to them, but by god, turgid...

Johnson... just... I don't even...

And everyone else needs to learn what is meant by the phrase "end product".
Barkley's 8 minute cameo was alright, but then he became just as anonymous as Rooney was, yet everyone lambasts Rooney...

Unless there's some serious crossing and shooting practise going on in Rio, we're kind of stuffed. I fancy our defence to be ok, but we've got nothing up front.
Stayed up late to watch this tripe, like I haven't got work in a few hours sigh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
new thread in a bit doe
Original post by Advice Guru
36 Goals.

Their group included Austria, Ireland, Kazakhstan and Faroe Islands... the only decent team was Sweden and they conceded 7 goals over 2 games against them.
Original post by Advice Guru
This whole team is a joke, the only reason half these english players shine is that they have world class talent around them in the premier league. Gerrard has Suarez, Rooney has Van Persie etc

lol why are you getting so mad for
stevie looking abit like alonso in thiss interview
Original post by Fizzel
I care about the style. If you're talking about grinding out qualification or a cup then fair enough, but it just seem pointless playing a dull style so you can make the Semi's once.

I'd rather win 1-0 than lose 5-4 :dontknow:

Parking the bus can sometimes make for an intriguing game
Original post by Excuse Me!
Baines is 'fawned' over in exactly the same way Lallana is. And all the players you listed are surrounded by other world class players. Gerrard has Suarez to assist to, Lallana has Rodriguez.

Lallana has consistently performed with players of less quality around him.

Baines has 5 goals and 4 assists for a fullback and is easily the best attacking left sided fullback in the premier league. There is a difference here.

Rodriguez has done very well tbf, he's not some random dirt player. He gets double figures from a wide forward position, that cannot be underestimated.

Gerrard has Suarez, but if you look at his playing style, he is the heartbeat of that midfield, along with Henderson. He releases the players early and that helps liverpool with their quick counter attacking style. If we played like Liverpool did, counter attacking 4-3-3 that releases the forward players quickly that attacks into space, we'll be looking better than we did today, even though Honduras parked bus the tempo was still too slow for my liking, especially in the first half.

Original post by Fizzel
I care about the style. If you're talking about grinding out qualification or a cup then fair enough, but it just seem pointless playing a dull style so you can make the Semi's once.

I agree, I care about the style if you're not going to win playing a less aesthetically pleasing style of football.

I've noticed that when you put the youngsters in they play with less fear. I like Barkley but tbh I can see why he has such a low goal and assist rate for the role he plays, his final pass isn't the greatest and he likes to shoot from range a lot, his driving is great to see but if he doesn't do much else with it he's going to struggle to assert himself. He is definitely not ready to start in this world cup. I'd personally only play him against Costa Rica, or use him as a sub when we're lacking drive vs Italy/Uruguay as he's a more direct goal threat than Wilshere.
Original post by consumed by stuff
stevie looking abit like alonso in thiss interview

Bromance

****, England are going to lose me 20 quid of Saturday at this rate.

Somehow made it into the top 10 :coma:

Ronaldo VII 669
filastini 271
white_haired_wizard 221
Juwel 218
Laevis 218
Economist 212
The Rusty Spork 200
Deshi 189
Colbert 184
Colonel. 175

If only w_h_w was around during this season, he deserved to get wum'd
(edited 9 years ago)
Didn't watch after the stoppage for the storm. Did we create anything?
Original post by NathanW18
Didn't watch after the stoppage for the storm. Did we create anything?

Nope.
Original post by manchesterunited15
Nope.

Should have guessed. Thanks.
"Our chief football writer Phil McNulty has picked Danny Welbeck as his man of the match"

Would love to know which game he was watching....
McNulty is a potato.
Whole match stank of a pre WC friendly to be honest. Honduras parking the bus meant that it was tight around the box and nobody was quite willing to stick the foot in that would actually break through that line. It will be different in the tournament, but we haven't actually found out in this match whether we have the capability to actually create that final bit of quality. I think we'll fare better against a team with something to play for...as long as we don't fall behind.

We were also crying out for a winger, with a bit of pace, who'll stay wide too.
Original post by jam278
Baines has 5 goals and 4 assists for a fullback and is easily the best attacking left sided fullback in the premier league. There is a difference here.

Rodriguez has done very well tbf, he's not some random dirt player. He gets double figures from a wide forward position, that cannot be underestimated.

Gerrard has Suarez, but if you look at his playing style, he is the heartbeat of that midfield, along with Henderson. He releases the players early and that helps liverpool with their quick counter attacking style. If we played like Liverpool did, counter attacking 4-3-3 that releases the forward players quickly that attacks into space, we'll be looking better than we did today, even though Honduras parked bus the tempo was still too slow for my liking, especially in the first half.

Baines is definitely good but he cant change the game around in the same way a Lallana or a Sturridge could.

Rodriguez I agree with, id have had him in the squad tbh rather than welbeck.

Perhaps I should give Gerrard more credit but hes notorious for poor international tournaments.

I don't mind the older players but the younger ones give us a faster tempo and also a slight element of surprise as Italy wont be completely prepared having never faced some of our young players before.

I think England have a good chance though. Italy and Uruquay are both beatable. We're lucky to be playing Italy first on the back of their poor form. Uruquay have a strong attack but if we can stop that I cant see why we cant win. And then Costa Rica we should beat.

Maybe im too optimistic but I could honestly see England getting to the semi finals if everything goes right.
England captain Steven Gerrard: "I don't understand the referee when the ball is being kicked into a player's chest. That should have been a straight red card and with ten men it could have been different."

But....it was 10 men only slightly later there was no difference... :facepalm2:
England fans are still backing that pack of 11 tampons on the field. England stand NO chance. Wake up and have a tug. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9939
Yeah it was a tedious game against a team that could do nothing but defend and foul us in any way they could, and yes we were a bit clueless at times, but I don't know why people get so worked up about meaningless warm-up games every time, judge them on the games that matter, not the pointless friendlies.

Latest