The Student Room Group

Glandular fever during exams?!?!?!?

I've been to the hospital, and got a note from my doctor saying I have glandular fever and I'm too ill to sit my exams, but my general studies exam is at 9pm tomorrow which is too early to contact college?? do I just risk taking the exam and be ill? Also for the other 4 exams I have left will they give me my predicted grades? or will I have to re take the year?

(Doing A Levels btw - law, religious studies and english language)

Someone please help I don't know what to do :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by dhnx
I've been to the hospital, and got a note from my doctor saying I have glandular fever and I'm too ill to sit my exams, but my general studies exam is at 9pm tomorrow which is too early to contact college?? do I just risk taking the exam and be ill? Also for the other 4 exams I have left will they give me my predicted grades? or will I have to re take the year?

(Doing A Levels btw - law, religious studies and english language)

Someone please help I don't know what to do :frown:

speak to exams officer as soon as you get in tomorrow, there are things they can do. If you sit the exam, depending on the circumstances you may get special consideration, but you need to tell them before you have sat the exam..
Only your school/college will be able to advise on this :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Hi I had glandular fever during my 4th year standard grade exams and I didn't sit any of them at the time I was supposed to. As long as your have been diagnosed with it and you can get a letter from the hospital or GP, everything will be fine. My school knew for a few days before that I was ill but thought maybe it was just tonsillitis. When I got my blood work back confirming it was glandular fever, my mum called up the school and explained and then the school contacted the doctor to confirm and then they got a letter sent out to the school and I sat my exams a month or so later.

I wouldn't sit the exam if I were you. One because you are ill and not in the right mind set so you probably wouldn't do as well. Two you need bed rest and three I don't think the college would allow you to come in because glandular fever is contagious.

Discuss this over the phone with your college tomorrow. You may be able to do what I done and take the exams a month later with a rep from the exam board in the room with you or yes you may have to redo the year but I highly doubt that.
Reply 3
Bless you.

I was in the exact same situation last year. I was writing my dissertation and taking my final exams, and it was a complete nightmare.

I would suggest, get as much help from the university as possible - get any extentions or special considerations in place that you can.

Do as much as you feel well enough to do.

Glandular fever is not very contageous so you can keep going to classes. I struggled because I felt so faint, but was still able to do some presentations I needed.

I managed, don't put too much pressure on yourself, but it is possible. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by kat91s
Bless you.

I was in the exact same situation last year. I was writing my dissertation and taking my final exams, and it was a complete nightmare.

I would suggest, get as much help from the university as possible - get any extentions or special considerations in place that you can.

Do as much as you feel well enough to do.

Glandular fever is not very contageous so you can keep going to classes. I struggled because I felt so faint, but was still able to do some presentations I needed.

I managed, don't put too much pressure on yourself, but it is possible. :smile:

GF can be spread through the saliva, so while you being around others is not an issue, do be careful with your cutlery, food, bottles, etc. and sharing them with others.

I ended up dropping down a year and redoing my AS levels because I was ill during exam period with GF.

An important point is that you have to learn how much you can do before it is too far - you have to give in to your body - which I found one of the hardest parts of being ill... The flu didn't always keep me off school or in bed...

Quick Reply

Latest