The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mutecoat
Right, apparently the uni will be opening a secondary school close to the campus with access to many of it's facilities in 2015; does this mean we'll have a load of lower-school kids running around the campus or what?

Did not know that...lol where did you get tht info from ? If its true thts rather annoying lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by ItsJustMe17
Did not know that...lol where did you get tht info from ? If its true thts rather annoying lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/university/university-school/index.aspx

Read and weep my friend

Oh ffs LOL why does it have to be so close to the school campus? Been trying to get away from school not bring it with me! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ItsJustMe17
Oh ffs LOL why does it have to be so close to the school campus? Been trying to get away from school not bring it with me! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly! Or just, you know, employ them as bag-holders or something

Oh god that's horrible. What with all the building work that's going on and this I'm seriously considering dropping down to my insurance. Blooming hope the children never go near the library, sports facilities or the physics department.

Edit: yep.

University of Birmingham

Facilities and environment:

Access to world-class facilities at the University of Birmingham, including sports, library, and music facilities;An identified school site in a pleasant, green setting, benefitting from good transport routes and playing fields, owned by and close to the University, and available for development;

Source: http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/university/university-school/vision.aspx

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by adi19956
Oh god that's horrible. What with all the building work that's going on and this I'm seriously considering dropping down to my insurance. Blooming hope the children never go near the library, sports facilities or the physics department.

Yeah I get you; Though remember a few things first - they are taking on only year 7s and 12s come 2015, meaning that for our time studying there will never be many of them around. Secondly it's being built in Selly Oak, so unless you're applying for Jaratt Hall or have some kind of obsession with Aldi you've no real reason to have to see the building work!

Keep it as your firm!
Yeah I get you; Though remember a few things first - they are taking on only year 7s and 12s come 2015, meaning that for our time studying there will never be many of them around. Secondly it's being built in Selly Oak, so unless you're applying for Jaratt Hall or have some kind of obsession with Aldi you've no real reason to have to see the building work!

Keep it as your firm!

See my edit.

I also meant building work with the library, new sports facilities etc which we won't really be able to take advantage of anyway. They're lucky the department is so highly rated.

(edited 9 years ago)
See my edit.

I also meant building work with the library, new sports facilities etc which we won't really be able to take advantage of anyway. They're lucky the department is so http://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/satisfaction/10006840FT-K0183/ReturnTo/Search

Yeah fair enough. I can't imagine the library's services will be compromised, the building work is probably done in such a way that it's not too intrusive. Either way, everybody loves a bit of cheeky scaffolding.
Why oh why are they mixing children into an adult environment? :facepalm:
(edited 9 years ago)
Just read about the school being opened in 2015 - it's put me off a bit. As an English student, I'll be in the library a lot and I don't need younger children around who see the library as a social opportunity :frown:
I'm trying to find a way to enquire about it with the University, just to clear up on how it would work in practice. But none of the email addresses are relevant to this sort of thing, there's no "general" contact...
I'm trying to find a way to enquire about it with the University, just to clear up on how it would work in practice. But none of the email addresses are relevant to this sort of thing, there's no "general" contact...

I understood it as a University school but its not on main campus and was self contained in its own buildings etc and they were allowed to use stuff from the university taken to them. I cant see school kids being able to use a university library very effectively and i dont think theyd have them running amuck around campus
Original post by AjBradley
I understood it as a University school but its not on main campus and was self contained in its own buildings etc and they were allowed to use stuff from the university taken to them. I cant see school kids being able to use a university library very effectively and i dont think theyd have them running amuck around campus

I really do hope you're correct with that - and it does make sense. I guess they'll release more information closer to 2015!
Reply 1493
The opening of a school is putting me off a bit. Just think theres already 2 King Edwards boys and girls schools right next to campus and they all walk through campus to get to the train station. Another 1150 kids running around isn't exactly ideal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone studying German or International Relations? ^^

Can't say the whole school being opened is a nice thought though, especially after being stuck in a college/secondary school environment with such rude children...
Anyone else to study joint honors English Lit and Drama come September?
Original post by martin jol
how can you be sure?

Do you know something i don't!!!!

stressing the **** out here!

hahaha oh dear! tbh its really stressful but once everything is figured out you will feel much better. have faith in yourself! also, birmingham is not too horrible about offers - i know quite a few people who've slightly missed their offers and still got in, myself included. xx
Original post by AmonHen

Can't say the whole school being opened is a nice thought though, especially after being stuck in a college/secondary school environment with such rude children...

The School will be located on the Selly Oak Campus, about 1 mile away from the University's Edgbaston campus, where you will be studying. It is unlikely that Birmingham University students will get to see much of the pupils. Anyway, the UoB campus is home to a very diverse student body - as it should be - so, why not be a bit open minded as to what your experience will be?
Original post by xtalball
why not be a bit open minded as to what your experience will be?

I'd say children fall outside the boundaries of a diverse university experience. Unless you do education of course

Original post by corax
Why oh why are they mixing children into an adult environment? :facepalm:

Original post by Foreverneek
Just read about the school being opened in 2015 - it's put me off a bit. As an English student, I'll be in the library a lot and I don't need younger children around who see the library as a social opportunity :frown:

Original post by AjBradley

I really do hope you're correct with that - and it does make sense. I guess they'll release more information closer to 2015!

Original post by Gavan
The opening of a school is putting me off a bit. Just think theres already 2 King Edwards boys and girls schools right next to campus and they all walk through campus to get to the train station. Another 1150 kids running around isn't exactly ideal.

Original post by AmonHen

I'd say children fall outside the boundaries of a diverse university experience. Unless you do education of course

We just wanted to reassure those of you concerned about the opening of the University School.

The University of Birmingham School is an autonomous school which is currently being built on the University’s satellite campus about a mile and a half away from main campus.

The School is a partnership between the Department of Education and the University and will be run by an independent trust.

Pupils at the School will have some access to University facilities, but this will be in a controlled and timetabled way, and always under supervision.

We also hope that University students will find the School a welcome addition to the wider University community and be able to utilise opportunities for personal development such as mentoring and volunteering with children there.

If you ever have any concerns that you'd like to address to us directly, you can always ask us on Twitter at @unibirmingham or Facebook at facebook.com/unibirmingham.

We are really looking forward to welcoming you here, and hope this has given you some reassurance.

University of Birmingham

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending