The Student Room Group

Official PHYA2 AQA Spec A Thread June 09 2014

Haven't seen one knocking around, so I thought I might make one for last minute questions and discussion after the exam.

Scroll to see replies

Anyone else feel like some of the questions asked are too obscure? Seems that way looking at the grade boundaries to receive an A

On the downside it's my birthday tomorrow and I got an exam :/
Reply 2
Original post by YoloSwagginz
Anyone else feel like some of the questions asked are too obscure? Seems that way looking at the grade boundaries to receive an A

On the downside it's my birthday tomorrow and I got an exam :/

Its really peeing me off, the mark schemes are so specific to each question, you don't mention at least one word and somehow you don't get any marks, and the significant figures they use on the mark schemes are even more annoying. You can tell how messed up Unit 2 is when looking at previous grade boundaries and you could get an A with less than 50/70
Original post by Chris654
Its really peeing me off, the mark schemes are so specific to each question, you don't mention at least one word and somehow you don't get any marks, and the significant figures they use on the mark schemes are even more annoying. You can tell how messed up Unit 2 is when looking at previous grade boundaries and you could get an A with less than 50/70

Yea I know what you mean! Also I don't know why maybe I'm just burnt out but on 2010 2009 papers I do great at got like 65/70, then I tend to do worse on more recent and I swear the words they want you to write on 2010 papers differ to the ones in 2013

edit: with the significant figures the general rule is if they give you a value with 2 significant figures give your answer to 2 significant figures even if you used something like gravity which is 9.81
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Yea I know what you mean! Also I don't know why maybe I'm just burnt out but on 2010 2009 papers I do great at got like 65/70, then I tend to do worse on more recent and I swear the words they want you to write on 2010 papers differ to the ones in 2013

I seriously despise AQA with a passion so screwed for tomorrow
I seriously despise AQA with a passion so screwed for tomorrow

Read my edit above I posted a fix to the sigfigs, I don't feel I'm super screwed but I feel wether I get an A or a B depends on the paper
Reply 6
Read my edit above I posted a fix to the sigfigs, I don't feel I'm super screwed but I feel wether I get an A or a B depends on the paper

cheers man, just sometimes when they do questions that take a lot of working out they round all the time in between working and its so annoying cause i always get completely different answers at the end
cheers man, just sometimes when they do questions that take a lot of working out they round all the time in between working and its so annoying cause i always get completely different answers at the end

Ah yea well they would use rounded values to show in the markscheme the trick is though is don't round anything till the very end just keep using that little ans button in the calculator you doing papers ATM man?
Reply 8
Ah yea well they would use rounded values to show in the markscheme the trick is though is don't round anything till the very end just keep using that little ans button in the calculator you doing papers ATM man?

Well trying to, but i keep having to look at the mark scheme for nearly every question :/ Trying to memorise every single type of question and answer they will ask, probably too late to try and understand any of it.
Well trying to, but i keep having to look at the mark scheme for nearly every question :/ Trying to memorise every single type of question and answer they will ask, probably too late to try and understand any of it.

Ah man I learnt OCR chem 2 in 3 days and I'm confident that i will probably get an A

Want to do the same paper at the same time and discuss things we don't get or struggled?
Phys2a is due a hard paper since the last 3 have been average. Just hope they don't go for new styles of questions like phys1.
Original post by Protoxylic
Phys2a is due a hard paper since the last 3 have been average. Just hope they don't go for new styles of questions like phys1.

I really hope you are wrong haha, but I suppose it could be a blessing since I've seen a paper have 45/70 provide grade A so if this paper is really hard we could expect to see something like that
It's alright man I'm taking a break atm cant be bothered haha nothing is going in :')
If its a hard paper i'm screwed even more :frown: Any last minute revision tips? Like what do you guys think the 6 marker will be this year
It's alright man I'm taking a break atm cant be bothered haha nothing is going in :')
If its a hard paper i'm screwed even more :frown: Any last minute revision tips? Like what do you guys think the 6 marker will be this year

Okay here
09 jan F=kl
09 June f=kl
10 jan stress/strain
10 Jun energy transformation GPE-KE
11jan stationary wave formation
11jun dbl slit lambda
12jan lambda diffraction grating
12jun f=kl
13jan stationary wave
13jun newtons laws

Looking at that I'd say it's unpredictable but I feel it will either be Young's modulus or a diffraction grating / slit experiment
What does everyone think is most likely to come up?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by joshw137
What does everyone think is most likely to come up?

That's a pretty wide question man just revise everything haha waves and the critical angle always come up I'm pretty sure and something from materials will but trying to guess mechanics is hard
That's a pretty wide question man just revise everything haha waves and the critical angle always come up I'm pretty sure and something from materials will but trying to guess mechanics is hard

haha Cheers :P by the way out of curiosity, how did you find unit 1?
Original post by joshw137
haha Cheers :P by the way out of curiosity, how did you find unit 1?

I found it alright except I messed up my first value on the first electricity question so if they disallow ECF I could be a bit screwed, other then that it went cool, I much prefer mechanics tbh man
(edited 9 years ago)
My tips for you are:
- Memorise the Photo-electric effect
- Memorise Line Spectra
- Memorise the formation of a stationary wave
- Memorise the polarisation of a Micro-wave using a probe and a metal grille
- Understand the difference between EMF and PD along with Kirchhoff's laws
- Know everything in terms of drawing a circuit and knowing what to deduce from what's been displayed
- Definitions

Easy A...
Original post by Lynku555
My tips for you are:
- Memorise the Photo-electric effect
- Memorise Line Spectra
- Memorise the formation of a stationary wave
- Memorise the polarisation of a Micro-wave using a probe and a metal grille
- Understand the difference between EMF and PD along with Kirchhoff's laws
- Know everything in terms of drawing a circuit and knowing what to deduce from what's been displayed
- Definitions

Easy A...

You trolling? this is the mechanics section haha :P solid tips for unit 1 though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending