The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

Economics v Law at City

Which department is more stronger within City University in terms of rank, graduate prospect etc.
Original post by AI1992
Which department is more stronger within City University in terms of rank, graduate prospect etc.

Cass Business School = City's Sir John Cass Business School is ranked as the 4th best in the UK, 13th in Europe over the past three years and in the top 1% in the world by the Financial Times (2011/12) and 4th for Business/Management/Finance/Accounting related subjects (Guardian Ranking 2014) - This is what the University is formerly renowned for.

City School of Arts & Social Sciences (offers Economics) = Ranked 41st

City school of Law = Ranked 62nd

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/education/series/university-guide-2014-subject-tables

Here are the direct comparisons of the two courses:

http://university.which.co.uk/compare/18294,18299

Law's employment statistics came up as inconclusive
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Cass Business School = City's Sir John Cass Business School is ranked as the 4th best in the UK, 13th in Europe over the past three years and in the top 1% in the world by the Financial Times (2011/12) and 4th for Business/Management/Finance/Accounting related subjects (Guardian Ranking 2014) - This is what the University is formerly renowned for.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/education/series/university-guide-2014-subject-tables

Hi, Yes I'm aware CASS is ranked highly within, but the 2 offers to chose between are Economics and Law. Good data stats thanks for searching and placing it here, Economics has a stronger entry requirements with a solid average graduate salary after 6 months, but the option is their to do a masters at a higher ranked university after as well to enhance prospects.
Original post by AI1992
Hi, Yes I'm aware CASS is ranked highly within, but the 2 offers to chose between are Economics and Law. Good data stats thanks for searching and placing it here, Economics has a stronger entry requirements with a solid average graduate salary after 6 months, but the option is their to do a masters at a higher ranked university after as well to enhance prospects.

Where else have you received offers from?
Reply 4
Oxford Brookes & Brunel.
Although on the Complete University Guide - Law at City was placed 48th and Economics 37th.
But Newspaper ranking don't always tell the full story with average Ucas points for new students entering being 388 for Law and 434 for Economics which is higher than some of the universities placed above so does show it attracts a good calibre of applicant's applying.
Original post by AI1992
Oxford Brookes & Brunel.
Although on the Complete University Guide - Law at City was placed 48th and Economics 37th.
But Newspaper ranking don't always tell the full story with average Ucas points for new students entering being 388 for Law and 434 for Economics which is higher than some of the universities placed above so does show it attracts a good calibre of applicant's applying.

Honestly, I don't think all that matters too much. First and foremost, you need to decide what "you" actually want to study.. Economics or Law? Or are you doing a Joint?

Secondly go with the place that would suit you more, in terms of life & course. At the end of the day, getting internships/placements/extra-curricular is up to you. Your degree makes up one component of what you have to offer to a company.
Reply 6

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2014/jun/03/university-guide-2015-league-table-for-law

City school of Law = Ranked 23rd

The guardian recently released the new rankings. :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Original post by AI1992

Even though the cass business school is good and some people kept commenting and boasting how they got into it I feel law is better.

The reason I think that is because if leaves you with wider options and economics seems so boring.

But that's my opinion surely you must like one subject more then the other why not chose that subject? TSR is full of people who will say both are **** or you don't have career perspective when they are just frustrated geeks.

Do the subject you mostly enjoy and like. Read the modules and check uni stats and then make your choice!

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trustno1
Even though the cass business school is good and some people kept commenting and boasting how they got into it I feel law is better.

The reason I think that is because if leaves you with wider options and economics seems so boring.

But that's my opinion surely you must like one subject more then the other why not chose that subject? TSR is full of people who will say both are **** or you don't have career perspective when they are just frustrated geeks.

Do the subject you mostly enjoy and like. Read the modules and check uni stats and then make your choice!

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Economics is boring? :eek: You obviously haven't lived life to the fullest.

LOL Since when was living life to the fullest meant liking economics?

I have no interest in it. It is boring to me and I'm sure others find it boring too just like some find it fun. If you like it good on you but no liking economics isn't consider "fun" for me.

This post made me laugh though thankyou

Each to their own opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Haha you tell him! Economics at A level is interesting in itself
Reply 12
Original post by Blyts-_
Haha you tell him! Economics at A level is interesting in itself

'Her' lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending