The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know what mark was full ums for physics c/a last year and if that can compensate for say a B in one of the 3 exams and the rest A* or like what grade would A*AB for exams and full ums c/a be?
Original post by olmyster911
C7 is my favourite 7 too! It's not easy but it's by far the most enjoyable of the three. Yeah I did find bio the worst 'cause nothing I'd revised was on there and there seemed to be very little science in it. The physics was bad too, but I expected that :tongue:

My chem c/a was 59 I think, and the other 2 were A*'s too so I guess I'm slightly safer than some!

Mmhhmm! It all feels liked solid science without the over your head physics feel :tongue: but physics actually ain't to bad a p7 :biggrin: yep, I completely agree, it felt so weird compared to past papers :yep: ha, true, I think I just underestimated the exam *hangs head in shame*

Same, basically-chem borderline though :frown: .you taking science at A level then?
Original post by lyricalvibe
Mmhhmm! It all feels liked solid science without the over your head physics feel :tongue: but physics actually ain't to bad a p7 :biggrin: yep, I completely agree, it felt so weird compared to past papers :yep: ha, true, I think I just underestimated the exam *hangs head in shame*

Same, basically-chem borderline though :frown: .you taking science at A level then?

I hate physics throughout :biggrin: The fact that physics incorporates maths makes me hate it most.

Maybe they'll mod it up a mark?
I'm planning to take bio & chem. My chem teacher told me it's the hardest A level which kinda put me off. You?
I hate physics throughout :biggrin: The fact that physics incorporates maths makes me hate it most.

I'm planning to take bio & chem. My chem teacher told me it's the hardest A level which kinda put me off. You?

I'm taking chem at A level too D: also chose bio but I pretty much wanna swap it to physics.

No idea why I'm taking Chemistry it just seems like it's going to be sooo difficult and I'm terrified :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by superdarklord
I'm taking chem at A level too D: also chose bio but I pretty much wanna swap it to physics.

No idea why I'm taking Chemistry it just seems like it's going to be sooo difficult and I'm terrified :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

'Cause chem is the shizz

Haha, yeah that's pretty annoying :redface:

'Mod it up'?
Medicine? Sounds good though, and yeah, everyone says it's really hard, I only know one person whose enjoying it and she's really passionate about it :smile: that's a really motivational teacher :rolleyes: but I could see it being so :frown: all 3 probably, either that or just chemistry :/ I really have no idea :frown:
Original post by lyricalvibe
Haha, yeah that's pretty annoying :redface:

'Mod it up'?
Medicine? Sounds good though, and yeah, everyone says it's really hard, I only know one person whose enjoying it and she's really passionate about it :smile: that's a really motivational teacher :rolleyes: but I could see it being so :frown: all 3 probably, either that or just chemistry :/ I really have no idea :frown:

If your work was sent off for moderation maybe it'll be given more marks.

Yes, medicine :tongue: I don't know if it's possible to be really passionate about chemistry xD I wouldn't recommend physics unless you're really into maths; my physics teacher says it's highly maths based at A level
Reply 787
C456 papers have been nice in the past, so I'm expecting quite a mean one on Tuesday...
Original post by Sulfur
C456 papers have been nice in the past, so I'm expecting quite a mean one on Tuesday...

Thanks for the peace of mind :cool:
Reply 789
Thanks for the peace of mind :cool:

:devil3::evil::devil:
Can anyone explain to me why carbon atoms in diamond have 4 covalent bonds? I don't understand how the diagram shows 4 covalent bonds :confused:
Can anyone explain to me why carbon atoms in diamond have 4 covalent bonds? I don't understand how the diagram shows 4 covalent bonds :confused:

Each carbon atom in diamond is covalently bonded to four other carbon atoms, and you might not see 4 in the diagram because it's in 3D
I really don't know if I got an A* in C1,2,3. So I need to do well in this one, but I'm dreading it 😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sulfur
In 2D you'd see four lines connecting each carbon atom.
This 3D image shows the four carbon bonds quite good:

I don't even understand this diagram :confused: ugh
Reply 794
I don't even understand this diagram :confused: ugh

Each carbon atom is connected to four other carbon atoms. That's why carbon is covalently bonded to four other carbon atoms (this is the structure of diamond).
Original post by Sulfur
Each carbon atom is connected to four other carbon atoms. That's why carbon is covalently bonded to four other carbon atoms (this is the structure of diamond).

The top atom is on its own though. Am I seeing this all wrong? To me the diagram isn't even 3D.
The top atom is on its own though. Am I seeing this all wrong? To me the diagram isn't even 3D.

Think about the spaces. Carbon has 4 outer electrons that just be filled, and diamond has four spare that happen to fit and boom they marry and are happy? Lol..I'm an idiot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 797

Yup I was being a bit of an idiot saying it was 3D, but that's the 2D 3D structure if that makes sense. You just need to recall that diamond has four carbon bonds and that's it.
Original post by ToLiveInADream
Think about the spaces. Carbon has 4 outer electrons that just be filled, and diamond has four spare that happen to fit and boom they marry and are happy? Lol..I'm an idiot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for that helpful analogy :wink:

Original post by Sulfur
Yup I was being a bit of an idiot saying it was 3D, but that's the 2D 3D structure if that makes sense. You just need to recall that diamond has four carbon bonds and that's it.

Okay, I remember that but it's just the visualisation that I can't do somehow :confused: I'll ask my chem teacher tomorrow
Thanks for that helpful analogy :wink:

Okay, I remember that but it's just the visualisation that I can't do somehow :confused: I'll ask my chem teacher tomorrow

If, as you said, the picture physically showed them all having four bonds, and the top one had four bonds too, then wouldn't the diagram just continue forever and never stop anywhere :tongue:. Theoretically, they do all have four bonds. However, practically, it isn't possible to draw four bonds on each atom or the picture would never stop :smile:

Try not to overthink it, quite simply, just imagine a structure where each atom is connected to four more. It's just very interconnected.

Hope this helps somewhat!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending