The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by phawkins96
And inertia, time period, data storage and resolution.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay, I just don't see what they could ask about resolution and data storage?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liberata
It's in normal mode I've just checked... maybe I just have a dodgy calculator

Make sure you're using the inverse sin function, not 1/sin. The arcsin button will be the alternative function on the 'sin' button. eg on this calculator ( http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71tFoa7v5EL._SL1500_.jpg ) you'd press 'shift' and then 'sin' to get the arcsin function.
Original post by emfp21
Oh okay, I just don't see what they could ask about resolution and data storage?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, in the article it compares CROs to digital storage so I guess something about comparisons

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blackwatersun
Make sure you're using the inverse sin function, not 1/sin. The arcsin button will be the alternative function on the 'sin' button. eg on this calculator ( http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71tFoa7v5EL._SL1500_.jpg ) you'd press 'shift' and then 'sin' to get the arcsin function.

Yeah I definitely am doing that - thanks anyway but I think I'll just use my dad's calculator haha
Can someone please tell me the equations we will need that arent in the equation booklet?!?!
Reply 185
Panicking about data and resolution for the first article now as it's always been my weakness!! Please could someone quickly explain it????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by adamcrompton
Can someone please tell me the equations we will need that arent in the equation booklet?!?!

S=(u+v)t/2
x=delta*L/d
E=mv^2/2
E=mgh
Original post by emfp21
Panicking about data and resolution for the first article now as it's always been my weakness!! Please could someone quickly explain it????

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would depend on the question but I'd imagine resolution would just require estimating the resolution of the oscilloscope which would be something like 0.1 divisions in both axis.
what do you mean by data?
Original post by Carla Huynh
S=(u+v)t/2
x=delta*L/d
E=mv^2/2
E=mgh

Thanks! What's this one for? x=delta*L/d
S=(u+v)t/2
x=delta*L/d
E=mv^2/2
E=mgh

Work=fd
Original post by adamcrompton
Thanks! What's this one for? x=delta*L/d

Rarely comes up but x is fringe separation, L is distance between slits and screen and d is slit separation. Applies to the double slit experiment :smile:
Original post by blackwatersun

I've definitely done it right - thank you anyway but I think I'll just use my dad's calculator haha
Reply 192
It would depend on the question but I'd imagine resolution would just require estimating the resolution of the oscilloscope which would be something like 0.1 divisions in both axis.
what do you mean by data?

Right so resolution is half a sub division??

And just other people have been saying about data storage?:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rarely comes up but x is fringe separation, L is distance between slits and screen and d is slit separation. Applies to the double slit experiment :smile:

Oh yeahh! Thanks!
Original post by emfp21
Right so resolution is half a sub division??

And just other people have been saying about data storage?:/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why half a sub division? Lots of people are saying half but I thought it was about 0.1?

oh all of the g941 stuff on bits and that...doubt that'll come up tbh but that's just things like no. of alternatives= 2^number of bits. Although since they didn't both testing much G941 stuff in the G941 exam I guess they could decide that revising for that exam wasn't completely pointless and throw it in :wink:
Reply 195
Why half a sub division? Lots of people are saying half but I thought it was about 0.1?

oh all of the g941 stuff on bits and that...doubt that'll come up tbh but that's just things like no. of alternatives= 2^number of bits. Although since they didn't both testing much G941 stuff in the G941 exam I guess they could decide that revising for that exam wasn't completely pointless and throw it in :wink:

Isn't 0.1 of a division and half a sub division the same thing though? Aren't there 5 sub divisions in the division??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck with the exam guys! When you get to A2 it will all seem to be horrendously easy :smile:

Just be careful of units, powers, and remember, read the question :wink:
And tick the correct number of boxes when prompted!
And for 'show that' questions make sure you state with the curly equals that it is roughly 'x' amount.

These are all basic things that I'm sure you are good at, but people in my year still miss them out D:
Original post by emfp21
Isn't 0.1 of a division and half a sub division the same thing though? Aren't there 5 sub divisions in the division??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I see where you got that from. The bold lines are just the lines that are always on oscilloscopes for some unknown reason. It's the small squares that are each a division, so I guess really you're right- the resolution is one of those squares so 1 division.
I was thinking of the uncertainty being 0.1 because that's the thickness of the line!!! Sorry my bad
Reply 198
help? my brain has died

Original post by Hicko
help? my brain has died

Over the 3cm part there are 4x so x=3/4cm

Latest

Trending

Trending