The Student Room Group

Why can't I apply to Regent's Park for Oriental Studies?!

I wanted to apply to Regent's Park College (Well, PPH) for Oriental Studies, but apparently they only accept students combining Oriental Studies with Theology! Why is this? It's the only college that really bowled me over when I visited.
Simply because they don't have the fellows to teach it properly (if any? I didn't really check the entire list, but it doesn't look like it: http://www.rpc.ox.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=140&tln=AboutUs).

I guess they'll accept Oriental Studies with Theology because they accept so many theology students and Regents will be able to cater to that half of the degree well.

What did regents have that nowhere else did?
Original post by KombatWombat
Simply because they don't have the fellows to teach it properly (if any? I didn't really check the entire list, but it doesn't look like it: http://www.rpc.ox.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=140&tln=AboutUs).

I guess they'll accept Oriental Studies with Theology because they accept so many theology students and Regents will be able to cater to that half of the degree well.

What did regents have that nowhere else did?

Thanks. It is really weird, though. I suppose I'll have to look at some other colleges or PPHs. Or should I contact Regent's?
Original post by Edminzodo
Thanks. It is really weird, though. I suppose I'll have to look at some other colleges or PPHs. Or should I contact Regent's?

It's perfectly normal for a college to offer a degree that it can't completely tutor on its own (especially for degrees with many different papers to choose from). You'll just get tutorials at another college. I don't think a college would offer a degree without any tutors though.

Why contact them? They definitely won't let you do apply for oriental studies at Regents, if that's what you're thinking.
Original post by KombatWombat
It's perfectly normal for a college to offer a degree that it can't completely tutor on its own (especially for degrees with many different papers to choose from). You'll just get tutorials at another college. I don't think a college would offer a degree without any tutors though.

Why contact them? They definitely won't let you do apply for oriental studies at Regents, if that's what you're thinking.

I guess. Thank you so much. I'm just sad that I can't go to Regent's!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not really that shocking - there's plenty of colleges which do similar things :smile:

Here's a list of colleges that offer the course:
Balliol College (Not Jewish Studies), Christ Church,
Harris Manchester College,
Hertford College (Chinese and Japanese only),
Mansfield College (Only Arabic, Hebrew and Jewish Studies),
Pembroke College (Not Egyptology or Egyptology and Near Eastern Studies), The Queen's College,
St Anne's College (Not Persian or Turkish),
St Benet's Hall (Only Egyptology and Ancient Near Eastern Studies; Hebrew; Jewish Studies),
St Catherine's College,
St Hilda's College,
St John's College,
University College (Only Egyptology; Egyptology and Near Eastern Studies; Chinese),
Wadham College

Maybe if you say a little more about what you liked about Regents, people can advise on whether any others are similar?
I loved the fact that it was very small, central, had formal dinners once a week, close to the Oriental Studies Institute and only taught a few, humanities subjects. I loved the small gardens, the building and the size of the bedrooms, and the accomadation for first and third years. Are the any very similar colleges out of the list?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucilou101
It's not really that shocking - there's plenty of colleges which do similar things :smile:

Here's a list of colleges that offer the course:
Balliol College (Not Jewish Studies), Christ Church,
Hertford College (Chinese and Japanese only),
Mansfield College (Only Arabic, Hebrew and Jewish Studies),
Pembroke College (Not Egyptology or Egyptology and Near Eastern Studies), The Queen's College,
St Anne's College (Not Persian or Turkish),
St Benet's Hall (Only Egyptology and Ancient Near Eastern Studies; Hebrew; Jewish Studies),
St Catherine's College,
St Hilda's College,
St John's College,
University College (Only Egyptology; Egyptology and Near Eastern Studies; Chinese),
Wadham College

Maybe if you say a little more about what you liked about Regents, people can advise on whether any others are similar?

I loved the fact that it was very small, central, had formal dinners once a week, close to the Oriental Studies Institute and only taught a few, humanities subjects. I loved the small gardens, the building and the size of the bedrooms, and the accomadation for first and third years. Are the any very similar colleges out of the list?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty much all colleges have formal hall at least once a week, and guarantee accommodation for at least 2 years - quite a lot guarantee it for all 3.

Most don't only do a few subjects, Mansfield is pretty small though and mainly focuses on humanities I believe. It's also central and reasonably close to the Oriental Studies institute.

Otherwise, Hertford/Univ are the same, both are reasonably small and central.

It's probably worth narrowing them down by which particular Oriental language you want to do - as they don't all offer all of them.
And then check out the websites - if there's any that catch your eye then there's plenty of people here who can advise on what they're like :smile:
Pretty much all colleges have formal hall at least once a week, and guarantee accommodation for at least 2 years - quite a lot guarantee it for all 3.

Most don't only do a few subjects, Mansfield is pretty small though and mainly focuses on humanities I believe. It's also central and reasonably close to the Oriental Studies institute.

Otherwise, Hertford/Univ are the same, both are reasonably small and central.

It's probably worth narrowing them down by which particular Oriental language you want to do - as they don't all offer all of them.
And then check out the websites - if there's any that catch your eye then there's plenty of people here who can advise on what they're like :smile:

Thanks. I'd like to do Japanese, which doesn't narrow it down that much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well it knocks it down to:

Balliol College,
Christ Church,
Hertford College,
Pembroke College,
The Queen's College,
St Anne's College,
St Catherine's College,
St Hilda's College,
St John's College,
Wadham College

Based on what you've said, I'd get rid of Christ Church as it's massive,
Harris Manchester is mature, which i don't believe you are.
St.Annes/St.Hildas are pretty far out imo, St.Catz is nothing like Regents.

So now you have only 6 to check :smile:

Balliol College,
Hertford College,
Pembroke College,
The Queen's College,
St John's College,
Wadham College

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hertford's a good one, try that
Original post by AKell17
Hertford's a good one, try that

Thanks. I've been looking at St John's and Queen's, and I like both of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've visited St. John's and it's very pretty, it's also the richest college so has rather nice rooms and lots of money to give you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

So now you have only 6 to check :smile:

Balliol College,
Hertford College,
Pembroke College,
The Queen's College,
St John's College,
Wadham College

Based on that^ perhaps Pembroke or Queen's? They're smaller colleges and quite central. The disadvantage is they're not too close to the Oriental Institute. On the other hand, the other four are quite large. Two are close to the Oriental Institute (St John's and Balliol) and two aren't so far away (Wadham and Hertford).

I'd rank them in order of preference:
Pembroke (distance is its only disadvantage).
Hertford (decent compromise between size and location).
Balliol (it's quite big, one of the biggest at Oxford).
Queen's (distance is its only disadvantage, farthest away from the Oriental Institute).
St. John's (medium and not central, but right opposite the Oriental Institute).
Wadham (not very central, not very close to the Oriental Institute).

If you PM me I could do a much more detailed analysis including accommodation, size, cost and whichever other parameters you want on a spreadsheet for you, like I did last year for myself :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending