The Student Room Group

(Edexcel) Drama and Theatre Studies - Theatre in Context 11th June 2014

Hiya, is anybody doing this exam next week?
& possibly doing Lysistrata?

x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yep I am.
How are you feeling about it?
I'm interested to know how this exam is taught at other schools. I'm finding quite hard seeing as I've never really thought, or done anything about directing a play.
Original post by leaky_Tap
Yep I am.
How are you feeling about it?
I'm interested to know how this exam is taught at other schools. I'm finding quite hard seeing as I've never really thought, or done anything about directing a play.

i'm okay - I'm struggling as to how I can make the choruses somgs modern.
weve all created a concept - what about you?
i'm doing this too. I've found the concept really interesting actually because I found an idea that fits really well as a concept. Once you have all the details and everything about what your'e gonna do and justify it, you can't really go wrong at all. Plus notes are allowed in the exam which is a plus. ~
Im doing this exam but doing Woyzeck and A midsummers Night's dream! i think it will be ok! my hand will hurt afterwards though!!
Reply 5
I'm doing it too. Woyzeck for Part A and B and Hamlet for Part C.

I'm not really that sure what the examiner is looking from us, so it's kind of hard to know if you're answering the questions properly. The mark schemes on the Edexcel website aren't very good, and the only exemplars I can find are ones that get 50-60/80, which isn't really an ideal mark, it's kind of average.

I'm a bit worried about the exam, but at least we get notes!
yeah that's deffo a plus. i have to get 45/80 to secure my B but still so worried ):

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
i'm doing woyzeck and twelfth night, haven't a clue how to revise or structure good answers! the grade boundaries are pretty low, i think last year was about 51/80 raw mark for an A and 58/80 for an a*! But that worries me more as it means the exam is so hard!
thats what i was thinking as well! do you have a lot of rehearsal techniques?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Has any of your teachers given you a clear structure, sentence by sentence, for Section B & C? I'm so lost
Original post by Vurdah
Has any of your teachers given you a clear structure, sentence by sentence, for Section B & C? I'm so lost

Hey, I tend to use for Section B I use a POINT EXAMPLE JUSTIFY LINK format; this generally works for all types of questions if you apply your concept correctly/have a good knowledge of it. So for example, if there was a question about set/staging this is how I would structure a paragraph:

POINT: What choice of set are you going to use? (abstract/realistic/indexical/symbolic ect.) Also mention a practitioner if you can!

EXAMPLE: How would this be used in your play? Give a specific scene and explain how your set/staging would be applied.

JUSTIFY: WHY have you used this? what effect does it have on the audience? does it convey your aims/intentions for performance?

LINK: Now link your choice of set and the reasons why your chose it to the historical/social/political aspects of your play (such as if your set is really detailed and extravagant it may reflect the grandeur of the monarchy/ruler who lead the play your playwright lived in/set the play in)

Now for Section C! This is slightly easier as for every point you make about the play you saw highlight the ways it contrasts and is similar to the original performance conditions of the play. The trick with this question is to strike the balance between both areas; if you talk about one area more than the other then you don't really answer the question.

These structures are pretty general as sometimes I swap it round a bit to meet the demands of the questions but that it generally it; I tend to get 25-30/30 in Section B and C with this format so it tends to work so far!

This exam seems to be one of those where its a case of 'the devil's in the detail' so as long as you EXPLAIN and JUSTIFY you should be fine :smile:
Reply 11
wow that structure seems very helpful, I will be doing my exam on Thursday by on dr faustus and ghosts, do you think the same method can apply for section B and C? :smile:
Kind of worried about this exam since I got a C for AS last year and need a B for my first choice university. With section B, when referring to OPC, is it just the very first production? Because my concept takes little to no inspiration from that :|
Original post by Yebyeb
wow that structure seems very helpful, I will be doing my exam on Thursday by on dr faustus and ghosts, do you think the same method can apply for section B and C? :smile:

Generally Section B and C can use a very similar writing format; make a point and back it up with evidence, only altering the structure slightly to meet the demands of the question. So a POINT EXAMPLE JUSTIFY LINK structure could be used for both really :smile:
Original post by _AlfieBoheme
Kind of worried about this exam since I got a C for AS last year and need a B for my first choice university. With section B, when referring to OPC, is it just the very first production? Because my concept takes little to no inspiration from that :|

what do you mean by the very first production?
Reply 15
Original post by LittleAndFierce
Generally Section B and C can use a very similar writing format; make a point and back it up with evidence, only altering the structure slightly to meet the demands of the question. So a POINT EXAMPLE JUSTIFY LINK structure could be used for both really :smile:

Thank you very much, I'm still very worried lol
Who knew drama would be this stressful
I'm really nervous about this one as essay writing is not my strongest point, I have Lysistrata A and B with Shakespeare as C. Any tips for section C or is it just to justify every point I make wit it's OPC?
http://roysdrama.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/rehearsal-techniques.html
this is brilliant for rehearsal techniques good luck!! x
Original post by Yebyeb

im dong ghosts!!! when did you see ghosts & which theatre?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by melodyogbebor
im dong ghosts!!! when did you see ghosts & which theatre?

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the almeida theatre back in November. Any last minute advice ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending