The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rob95
Do you think there is any chance of an efficiency question to come up on Section B this year?

again, doubt it, as one of the section B questions last year was "Discuss the extent to which competition creates efficiency"
i honestly think one of the section B questions will be on labour market failure, and it'll either be about Government measures to reduce labour market failure (such as the NMW) or a question based on monopsonies/trade unions!
Is anyone else predicting labour market flexibility as a theme for the extract, as i do not think it has come up before? - i Don't think the world cup will come up tbh
Original post by Fas
you sure that wasn't TV broadcasting? because i remember a past paper which the first question asked to work out a concentration ratio, but that was TV broadcasting.

it has, let me find the paper.

Yeah my bad, should be cinema admissions this year then!
what are two distinct forms of bargaining and which diagrams would you use when talking about the impact of them
Original post by letsplayray
Is anyone else predicting labour market flexibility as a theme for the extract, as i do not think it has come up before? - i Don't think the world cup will come up tbh

Labour marker flexibility came up last year june 2013 as a 15/20 marker, it could come up in the extract but it depends
Original post by Fas
i honestly think one of the section B questions will be on labour market failure, and it'll either be about Government measures to reduce labour market failure (such as the NMW) or a question based on monopsonies/trade unions!

Minimum wage has come up before but maybe others like training, education etc. But definitely on labour marker failure!
Is the National Minimum Wage diagram essentially the same as the trade union diagram, with respect to their effects on unemployment? Or am I missing a subtle difference? Thanks.
Reply 328
Does anyone know the formulae for possible calculations that could come up?
Original post by Fas
a simply LM diagram will suffice (so the interaction of ADL and ASL, showing an outward shift in ASL)

could you explain:
what a LM diagram is?
and what is ADL and ASL?

am i just getting confused or have i really never heard of them? :frown:
Are there any diagrams for a competitive market structure?
Original post by vonny101
What does it mean chose the leisure industry of your choice?

I know what the leisure industry is but what is an example of a specific leisure markets?

Last but not least, what is an example of a monopoly in the leisure market?

bump please :frown:
has a bilateral monopsony ever come up? if i just learn the idea of it will that be ok? just realised my diagram to learn is not the best and to be honest... its really hard!!
What diagram do you draw to show how government measures achieve labour market flexibility?
Do you just show supply becoming more elastic?
Original post by Rheannan
has a bilateral monopsony ever come up? if i just learn the idea of it will that be ok? just realised my diagram to learn is not the best and to be honest... its really hard!!

Never specifically come up but it's a good thing to use in your essays if Labour Market Failure came up
Original post by vonny101
bump please :frown:

There are plenty - you could talk about the premiership(manchester united) - although it is more of an oligopoly, package holidays(thomson), Tv market (BskyB) - however in reality no market is a perfect monopoly so its best to match characteristics between any of the aforementioned markets to that of a monopoly(high barriers to entry/exit, strong brand loyalty etc.) , and then explain how it may be closer to an oligopoly or monopolistically competitive market.
Original post by Qwerty Pies
Is the National Minimum Wage diagram essentially the same as the trade union diagram, with respect to their effects on unemployment? Or am I missing a subtle difference? Thanks.

yeah, pretty much.

you could also draw a diagram showing an outward shift in demand for labour which would increase employment, due to the introduction of the NMW (as part of evaluation) because an increase in the NMW will give workers more disposable income, boosting their demand for goods and services, hence the demand for firms goods and services goes up, since demand for labour is derived from this demand, that means demand for labour will go up :smile:
Reply 337
My dream paper tomorrow...

Section A

Case study on the cinema industry and oligopolies.

Section B

(a) Analyse, using a diagram, the behaviour of a monopsony. [15]

(b) Discuss the extent to which a monopsony is the main determinant of wages. [20]
Original post by tsimms
My dream paper tomorrow...

Section A

Case study on the cinema industry and oligopolies.

Section B

(a) Analyse, using a diagram, the behaviour of a monopsony. [15]

(b) Discuss the extent to which a monopsony is the main determinant of wages. [20]

for the question (b) how would you structure this please?
Hello guys, could you please state what are the graph that we need to learn for tomorrow's exam? I could think of monopoly curve, linked demand curve, monopolistic curve, supply of labour in SR and LR, profit maximisation curve, is that all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending