The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3980
Original post by Malevolent
Currently in OCS right now. Finish in 2015.

2015 for me too. Where will you be studying?
Original post by makrxx
2015 for me too. Where will you be studying?

UCL or Edinburgh it looks like
Reply 3982
Heading to LSE this September! Anyone else headed to London keen to chit-chat over coffee before heading over?
Reply 3983
Curious, every Singaporean has to take the IELTS before applying to study in the UK?
Reply 3984
Original post by jayl
Curious, every Singaporean has to take the IELTS before applying to study in the UK?

I didn't have to.
Reply 3985
Original post by Narev
I didn't have to.

Why is that? I have been told they took out our GCE as the recognised English Language. So I am very puzzled..
Reply 3986
Hey guys,

I'm starting a project to inspire more Singaporeans to study abroad.

So would anyone who is Singaporean and have studied abroad (or still currently studying abroad) would have time to be interviewed by me?

If you are interested please email me at [email protected]

Thanks in advance.

Happy Regards,

Tengku Wazir
Hi! Anyone going to Northern Ireland (Queen's University/ Ulster University) for their undergraduate studies? And if you're a current student, please share your experiences in Northern Ireland. Thank you!
Hey! I'll heading for Warwick this year too :smile:) any other freshers around?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, Anyone doing Accounting and Finance at Exeter this Sept?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3990
Original post by littlesheepfiona
Hey! I'll heading for Warwick this year too :smile:) any other freshers around?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi littlesheepfiona, what course will you be doing at Warwick?
Original post by Narev
Hi littlesheepfiona, what course will you be doing at Warwick?

hey Narev, I'm gonna do Economics and Industrial Organization :smile: You're a current senior right?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3992
Not exactly, I've graduated from Warwick and occasionally pop by here and then - usually when I get emails about people wanting to join this social group.

That being said, I still get called upon by Mavis (even this year!) to introduce students to MORSE...
Oh my, your posts date way back hahaha. So you're working in UK now? MORSE isn't... very well-known in Singapore, isn't it?
Reply 3994
Nah, in the US doing a PhD. Apparently, US universities pay you decently to do a PhD for STEM subjects, so I took it as an opportunity to travel around North America / South America for the next five years.

Could have worked in UK, but I prefer to travel and explore (something you'll probably do at Warwick considering plane fares are ridiculously cheap to places in Europe, and the cost of living (pound to SGD) is actually cheaper than SG, bar university tuition.)

I'm not sure about it being well known - but I only heard about MORSE because I wanted something flexible with mathematics, and MORSE allows people to choose courses from Maths / Stats / Econs / Business (plus some unusual options) as well. Cause generally in the UK, once you fix on the degree you want to do, you can only do courses from that department, so there's really not much flexibility.
Ooooh~ PhD so zai! When I read the prospectus, MORSE sounded too hard... like morse code :P

How was it like at Warwick for you? I've read almost all there is to read online about Warwick, and I'm still thirsty for more (^_^) I mean, cause I'm dying to go right now, but it's quite scary too. haha. Btw, did you go for the International Orientation?
Reply 3996
haha not zai lah. More like trying to escape real work (but seriously - the brand name of Warwick helps a lot - not just for PhD applications but for a lot of finance jobs, even as an international student).

Yeah, MORSE is kind of difficult, but there are at least revision guides / lecture notes by the MORSE Society to help out for difficult courses.

Warwick was actually quite an eye-opener for me, and the best four years of my life. I've never been overseas (apart from holidays) before - and I realized a lot of what I've been told by my parents about overseas life weren't exactly true.

For example, I was told: "Oh, overseas must bargain with taxi driver - make sure you don't get cheated", and when I tried to do that, the cab driver just pointed at the meter and I was mortified....

Take everything you've been told with a pinch of salt about living overseas - whether it's better than living in SG, or worse than living in SG - I think everyone will eventually develop their own opinions.

It *does* sound cliche, but you'll make your own experiences at Warwick, cause as an undergraduate, it's the best time to explore, meet new friends, embrace different cultures (it's not just Chinese / Malay / Indian / Eurasian), experience different ways of life, speaking up, etc, etc - something you really can't do as a PhD student (apparently, they are viewed differently than undergrads -_-). In fact, go do the things you've always wanted to do away from home, but couldn't because of cultural norms / parental restrictions, etc.

So yeah, Warwick for me was - travelling a lot within Europe / going to South Africa on a voluntary teaching program / joining way too many societies but getting to know lots of cool and funky people / hiking around UK and climbed Snowden / bantering with the director of undergraduate studies and adding him on FB / crashing a lot of fresher events and other universities events when I was travelling around England / walking through Canley at midnight and wondering what I was doing when there were chavs about / being a stage manager and sound cue IC for Singsoc productions twice in a row...

I don't think I was a conventional student at Warwick actually......

You'll be fine - going overseas may be scary for the first time, but you'll definitely make lots of friends during the Singsoc orientation / first few weeks of taster events, and then you'll be perfectly all right!

I went for the International Orientation, but unless you're out making new friends / clubbing during each evening event during the Orientation, I don't think it's worth it. Ended up skipping all the lectures (like how to register for bank account, how to survive as an international student / etc), and hung out with other Singaporeans instead.

It's possible to arrive at Warwick one week early, get your accommodation (without joining the Orientation), and sneak into the orientation events (except breakfast / dinner - unless you know someone as an orientation helper to let you in) too...
wahhhh it sounds like you did a lot of cool stuff! I'm like, being very lured by all sorts of clubs and societies that I'm seeing on the SU website. Like, well Assassin's Guild sounds damn cool, and... etc. etc. hahahaha.

You can actually join all the events without actually joining the International Orientation? How'd you do that? And.. haha maybe five years later, now the itinerary is different? :P
Man can't wait to get out of singapore and back to the uk
Reply 3999
Original post by littlesheepfiona
wahhhh it sounds like you did a lot of cool stuff! I'm like, being very lured by all sorts of clubs and societies that I'm seeing on the SU website. Like, well Assassin's Guild sounds damn cool, and... etc. etc. hahahaha.

You can actually join all the events without actually joining the International Orientation? How'd you do that? And.. haha maybe five years later, now the itinerary is different? :P

haha go check out all of them! For sports clubs there are free taster sessions, and for other societies, there's always a societies fair (where you can pick up free stuff as well) where you can give your email address and add you to their mailing list. So you can turn up to events without being a part of the society (usually you have to pay to join societies)! Although, you probably have to pay a bit more for paid events and you can't vote in that society.

The itinerary could be different though. But usually you can sneak in in a big group and say you lost your lanyard, or just bluff it out alone. I managed to sneak into events in my second year. Breakfast / dinner isn't easy - cause they check (but again very doable if you do know someone at the door).

I guess it could be because such events are fixed cost (whether 100 people turn up or 150 people turn up, doesn't matter), but for food, they only cater to a fixed number of people.

Assassin's guild is fun! I got attacked by someone with a toy lightsabre :frown:, but not before I killed off two other people with a poison letter and poison food. Apparently, telling your victim(s) that: "Hey, I have a letter for you" (and drawing it with hearts), or saying: "I lived here last year, could I enter and check my mail. Oh yeah, do you want to share this sandwich?" help an aspiring assassin.

But yeah, there are lots of fun societies at Warwick. There's hiphop, Airsoft, Detective Society, CIF, ...

Oh that reminds me - go join an Asian Society for discount cards :P I'm not sure which societies have discount cards now - but usually these discount cards give you 10% off (or more) at a lot of restaurants / takeaways / buffets in Coventry.

Quick Reply

Latest