Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

University of Brighton 2014 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lcatriona
ACCOMMODATION HELP

I'm going to be on the Photography course at Grand Parade and i'm looking for some advice on accommodation. I'm looking for somewhere to live near the grand parade campus but i understand that Pheonix halls are hard to get into. I've applied anyway but i am now unsure as to whether I should apply for a uni home or something privately rented? I feel like uni homes might be easier to find but possibly more expensive?

If there's anyone else looking to stay in the same area (preferably studying at grand parade) please get in touch :smile:

I'm going to be studying at Grande Parade aswell, but studying Fine Art. I have applied to phoenix but doubt I'll get in which really sucks, so will probably have to look for houses with other students! I've heard that lots of people doing courses at grande parade live in Uni Homes and say that they are really good fun aswell, so hopefully everything will work out for the best! :smile:
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
I am going to study Fine Art Critical Practice this year and Phoenix Brewery sounds like the most art-focused campus but I'm still trying to find an alternative as Phoenix Brewery is so expensive! I don't want to go further out to the cheaper ones as it will be a pain getting to Grand Parade all the time. I'm going to look into uni homes or something privately rented. I was worried about the amount of people studying art considering this...
The other alternative would be going to Moulsecoombe campus which is 2 miles away but I don't like thats its catered and iv'e heard its more for business, mathematics etc,

So stuck on this so if anyone has advice would be great!
Thanks,
I think i'm going to be applying for Phoenix too but I am in the same boat as you as I am looking to stay in the same area, in privately rented accommodation or in uni homes!
Original post by Ellie_96
I'm going to be studying at Grande Parade aswell, but studying Fine Art. I have applied to phoenix but doubt I'll get in which really sucks, so will probably have to look for houses with other students! I've heard that lots of people doing courses at grande parade live in Uni Homes and say that they are really good fun aswell, so hopefully everything will work out for the best! :smile:

Yeah I've heard it's very competitive :frown: but good luck for getting in ! Oh ok , I'll start looking at uni homes and hopefully it will all come together. Thanks for the reply and good luck :smile:
Reply 264
Hi,

I am currently holding a conditional offer to study pharmacy at Brighton. My offer is ABB and was just wondering if people have ever got into pharmacy when they have dropped a single grade or gained a place through clearing? Is this something that's quite common or a rarity? I understand Brighton has a system for students to transfer to medicine if they wish to change direction during their studies but was wondering how common this is and if it would be possible to know how successful applicants are and how many transfer over to BSMS.

I'm extremely excited about joining Brighton this year and look forward to a new challenge and meeting new people.

Cannot wait! :biggrin:
Original post by OSeraj

X

Finally a pharmacy student :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 266
Original post by ADAOBI123
Finally a pharmacy student :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you applied to Brighton then?
Original post by OSeraj
Have you applied to Brighton then?

Yupp ! I cant wait to start. :smile:
Reply 268
Yupp ! I cant wait to start. :smile:

Would you happen to know anything about my enquiries? I want to get these exams done and start now! :tongue: What are you hoping to get this summer then?
Original post by OSeraj
Would you happen to know anything about my enquiries? I want to get these exams done and start now! :tongue: What are you hoping to get this summer then?

I'm currently on an access course, which is the equivalent to a levels. I'm hoping to get distinctions in all my science subjects and its looking really good so far.

Errmm, they do go into clearing but I remember when I had my interview in feb and the man said there were no clearing places last year at brighton for pharmacy.

For the medicine part, they also said that if you want to go into Medicine, you need to get firsts in your pharmacy exams and take the ukcat and you'll be guaranteed an interview at Brighton.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 270
I'm currently on an access course, which is the equivalent to a levels. I'm hoping to get distinctions in all my science subjects and its looking really good so far.

Errmm, they do go into clearing but I remember when I had my interview in feb and the man said there were no clearing places last year at brighton for pharmacy.

For the medicine part, they also said that if you want to go into Medicine, you need to get firsts in your pharmacy exams and take the ukcat and you'll be guaranteed an interview at Brighton.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right I see, and yeah suppose that makes sense with brighton as the pharmacy course is quite popular and most people with offers generally accept them as firm. Wow first in pharmacy sounds quite tough but I suppose it's needed to do medicine haha

Thank you for clearing that up!!
Hello :smile:

I have a few questions. I'm a Year 13 student, but I didn't apply to uni (something I regret :frown:). So I'm going to apply during clearing and I really want to do adult nursing in Brighton. However, Brighton's grade requirements is ABB , but I got a D in one of my AS last year, so I was just wondering if there is even a chance of even being considered for an interview. I didn't take it through, so my qualification is D in AS Maths. For my A-levels I'm predicted 3 Bs (Chemistry {for which I'm more likely to get a C than a B}, Psychology and Biology). I understand that Brighton is flexible with nursing grade requirements, so I was thinking about how flexible :colondollar:

I hope this makes sense! Thank you in advance :smile:
I am looking into accommodation, I was wondering if transport is free from campuses as I am studying at Grand Parade and was considering other campuses for cheaper accommodation

Original post by University of Brighton
If you are applying to the University of Brighton for 2014 entry, join this thread.

Chat with each other and ask our official reps any questions. We're all graduates or current students at Brighton and if we don't know the answer to your question we can find some one who does. :smile:
Hey, just wondering if there are any sports facilities that are free if youre a student at the uni?
Original post by bethanycollinge
I am looking into accommodation, I was wondering if transport is free from campuses as I am studying at Grand Parade and was considering other campuses for cheaper accommodation

Hi bethanycollinge

The Big Lemon bus offers free travel between campuses http://www.thebiglemon.com/brightonuni/ when you show your unicard (everyone has one of these and they are free) on week days, so you can travel to class for free between the accommodation.
Brighton and Hove buses also offer a weekly bus ticket which you can purchase on campus from the SU. This is cheaper than full price daily tickets and the services run later and at the weekend.

There is a unizone train ticket too, which is a lower price and can be used between campuses and for travel on a particular further route - details here http://www.southernrailway.com/tickets-and-fares/ticket-types/16/

Best Wishes
Viv
Original post by incoqnito
Hey, just wondering if there are any sports facilities that are free if youre a student at the uni?

Hi incoqnito

Sport Brighton offers very low rate one off and membership options to classes and facilities to all students across the sites - check out the details here http://about.brighton.ac.uk/sportbrighton/ There are also agreements with local pools to access them at really great prices in Brighton (I think my friend used to pay £1 to access a pool in the centre of town).
There are also loads of Student Union sports clubs, check those out here too http://www.brightonsu.com/sports/
If or what they cost depends on each activity - you can get in touch with any that interest you.

If you live in halls in Brighton or Eastbourne, you can access the Sport Brighton facilities for free at off peak times, these are ...
Weekdays 7.30am 12 noonWeekdays 2.00pm 4.30pm
Weekends 8:30am 5.00pm

There are of course plenty of other sports teams and activities off campus too of course :smile:

Hope that helps,
Best Wishes
Viv
Reply 276
If a pharmacy student misses their offer by a single grade, can they still expect to obtain a place or have to look elsewhere?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rosenatorr
Hello :smile:

I have a few questions. I'm a Year 13 student, but I didn't apply to uni (something I regret :frown:). So I'm going to apply during clearing and I really want to do adult nursing in Brighton. However, Brighton's grade requirements is ABB , but I got a D in one of my AS last year, so I was just wondering if there is even a chance of even being considered for an interview. I didn't take it through, so my qualification is D in AS Maths. For my A-levels I'm predicted 3 Bs (Chemistry {for which I'm more likely to get a C than a B}, Psychology and Biology). I understand that Brighton is flexible with nursing grade requirements, so I was thinking about how flexible :colondollar:

I hope this makes sense! Thank you in advance :smile:

Hi rosenatorr

*****Newsflash!**** FYI - You do not need to wait until Clearing to apply to uni if you haven't already. The Adult nursing course is still accepting new applications directly and through UCAS Extra. The best and easiest way for you to find out about the grades and progress an application is to call our admissions team directly. The lines are open until 5pm today and again from 9am to 5pm tomorrow. Here is the direct number - 01273 644 644.

At Brighton we operate a flexible admissions policy - check it out here if you haven't already - it depends on each individual case. http://www.brighton.ac.uk/studying-here/applying-to-brighton/undergraduate/choosing-your-course/entry-requirements/flexible-admissions-policy/index.aspx

Let me know how you get on - and if you have any questions about the course too, as I work with one of our TSR reps Olly, who is about to finish his first year on this course.

Best Wishes
Viv

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by University of Brighton
Hi rosenatorr

*****Newsflash!**** FYI - You do not need to wait until Clearing to apply to uni if you haven't already. The Adult nursing course is still accepting new applications directly and through UCAS Extra. The best and easiest way for you to find out about the grades and progress an application is to call our admissions team directly. The lines are open until 5pm today and again from 9am to 5pm tomorrow. Here is the direct number - 01273 644 644.

At Brighton we operate a flexible admissions policy - check it out here if you haven't already - it depends on each individual case. http://www.brighton.ac.uk/studying-here/applying-to-brighton/undergraduate/choosing-your-course/entry-requirements/flexible-admissions-policy/index.aspx

Let me know how you get on - and if you have any questions about the course too, as I work with one of our TSR reps Olly, who is about to finish his first year on this course.

Best Wishes
Viv

Thank you so much for letting me know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rosenatorr
Thank you so much for letting me know!

Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile: Good luck!

Viv

Quick Reply

Latest